DJM wish list thread

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

I didn't realise they were still alive and kicking, thought they had all been scrapped now. Why have we not repatriated an example of this important development in the Diesel Shunters ?

Simon

IIRC there are two left, and one is in a museum in Turin while the other remains in traffic with the privately owned La Ferroviaria Italiana in Arezzo.

More on the preserved one here: http://www.museoferroviariopiemontese.it/locomotiva-diesel-da-manovra-pesante-ne-700-001/

LFI has an extraordinary fleet of motive power ancient and modern, as can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/groups/1785627@N20

Edited by papagolfjuliet
  • Like 1

I didn't realise they were still alive and kicking, thought they had all been scrapped now. Why have we not repatriated an example of this important development in the Diesel Shunters ?

Simon

Back in the 90s I was on a train en-route from Venice to Treviso for a meeting and saw one. My exclamation of surprise was so loud it made our Italian hosts think I'd been groped or something.

I'm not entirely sure if the surviving examples in Italy are ex-LMS or were built to an LMS design for the War Department, and I have got something in the back of my mind that one is being repatriated or may even have been already.

• Like 1

I'd actually buy a model of the 'Fowler' Diesel Mechanical 0-4-0 that Ixion produced the other year if it were made in OO.

If not, my vote is for anything with outside cylinders and which ran in industry. I personally think that that is the only bit of the market which has yet to be tapped to any great degree.

Hi!

Not sure if its been brought up before, but how about some foreign wagons on 4mm/ft. They've been a part of the national network since the war.

Thinking along the lines of the Transfesa ferryvan, or the Interfrigo 4 wheel refridgerated van or perhaps the SNCF 4 wheel Hbfs ferryvan?

Trying to make H0 stock look like it belongs on a 00 layout doesn't really work!

Cheers G

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure I've commented on this thread before but models I'd love to see in 4mm (in no particular order):

Class 87
Class 89
Class 91, Mk4s and DVT
Class 114 (particularly in Royal Mail livery with shutter doors)
Class 156

Cargowaggons (any but particularly any of the "twins")
PFA wagons
PTA wagons

VEA wagons

Mk2Bs and Mk2Cs

Edited by sub39h
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure I've commented on this thread before but models I'd love to see in 4mm (in no particular order):

Class 87

Class 89

Class 91, Mk4s and DVT

Class 156

Mk2Bs and Mk2Cs

I echo this.... I wouldn't mind anyone doing one of these, some of these or all of these.

Having seen SLWs Class 24 i would love to see them do a class 87 but suspect they would go for a popular diesel. 

I have already suggested that they do the Class 86 and Class 87. The Class 86 offers more variants and liveries whilst the Class 87 offers less. But nonetheless they both carried BR Blue and Intercity which are as I believe from a popular time.

• RMweb Premium

Can we have some reasonably priced Drax biomass hoppers please?

(Apologies if you find this request in every other wishlist apart from Hornby............)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Can we have some reasonably priced Drax biomass hoppers please?

(Apologies if you find this request in every other wishlist apart from Hornby............)

Cheers,

Mick

If Hornby have done it why not ask them? They've probably done all the research anyway. And whatever pricing you see is Drax's decision. So if Hornby do it, it will be far more affordable.

• RMweb Premium

If Hornby have done it why not ask them? They've probably done all the research anyway. And whatever pricing you see is Drax's decision. So if Hornby do it, it will be far more affordable.

Maybe I should've used a :jester:  in my post?

• Like 1

So, I may have mentioned that exquisite piece of Victoriana the Great Western's 517 Class?

Well, it did not come as high in the Wishlist poll nearly as the Terrier, and, I confess, I would love to see a decent 4mm A1 and A1X in 4mm, rather than the Hornby/Dapol effort with the rubbish chassis and the hybrid body. The Terrier is crying out for a new 4mm model.

But, the 517 came pretty high and higher than other locomotives that one might have thought would be more popular, including "iconic" engines like Gladstone and Hardwicke.  I'd love to see both of these, too, and maybe the National Collection tie-in will see them made.

But more people wanted the humble 517.

Just sayin' ...  

Mmmm, just been reading thro' a few recent posts, and must say I have to agree with a few others. I admit I am no lover of any other traction than steam BUT, to help 'set the scene' on my layout ( Cannons Lane) it would be nice to see something like an old former LMS jack-shaft drive 0-6-0 diesel shunter trundle by. :-)

• 3 months later...

Dave

I am very partial to most things that have pantographs.

Hence the recent prepurchase of your class 71

I model mostly North Americian HO models followed by UK OO, and a smattering of European, Japanese and Australian

My wish is not so much for type of loco but more to the mechanism for diesel or electric locos

Most American mechs  have a central motor with flywheels and drive shafts to each bogie, giving all wheel drive. All wheel pick up is essential.

In recent years UK models have started to follow this layout

If the bogies could be made with clip-on side frames then these bogies could be utilised on any other loco with the same axle centres simply by clipping on the new sideframes

Use the same motor/flywheel assembly for all locos where possible

Loco’s with the same bogie to bogie centre could use the same heavy cast chassis. Fuel tanks, battery boxes, sub chassis, etc as clip on plastic bits

What I have described is pretty much how Athearn have done it for years.

My point is to use as many standard parts over a range of locos

This could mean that in 10 to 20 years you could replace worn or damaged drive parts from a current model

John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Four locomotives I would like to see but I doubt enough modellers would want any of them to make the outlay viable. Olivia's Trains pulled the plug on one of them because they couldn't gt enough pre-orders. 

6701 / 6000 / 26000 "Tommy" (cancelled by Olivia's Trains). 

DHP1 Clayton prototype. 

GT3 prototype. 

10100 Fell prototype. 

I'm still waiting for the Kernow orders of D600, CC2 and 10201-203 :(

Edited by SGP

Four locomotives I would like to see but I doubt enough modellers would want any of them to make the outlay viable. Olivia's Trains pulled the plug on one of them because they couldn't gt enough pre-orders. 

6701 / 6000 / 26000 "Tommy" (cancelled by Olivia's Trains). 

DHP1 Clayton prototype. 

GT3 prototype. 

10100 Fell prototype. 

I'm still waiting for the Kernow orders of D600, CC2 and 10201-203 :(

I’d like a decent EM1 or EM2. If I can’t have them, I’d like the Heljan ones at Hornby Class 92 prices.

DHP1 sent me scuttling to Wikipedia. Well I never!

GT3, yes, and the two gas turbine electrics.

Fell, yes.

Perhaps you are right that they are are not viable but Heljan seemed to find a series of oddballs viable before heading off into 0 scale.

Things have gone quiet on the D600, in spite of body mouldings being shown off.

First I’ve heard of a Kernow CC2.

10201–203. Are these an attempt to get into the Guinness Book of Records?

May I throw into the ring CC1,CC2 and 20003, the so called Hornbys. No dig in the ribs intended. With the variety of liveries from grey with white go faster stripes to blue with full yellow ends, via black and green.

I do realise CC2 has been requested but why not "three of a kind"!

I'm going now, good bye. :tomato:

• Like 1

There is a nice looking model of DHP1 here .... 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99371-jessy1692s-bits-pieces-a-holy-dp2-deltics-falcon-04s-to-name-a-few/page-3 

It spent most of its life working between the Clayton Works at Hatton (near Tutbury) and Brush Works at Loughborough, usually under cover of darkness .... but for the most part, lay idle at either end of the route.

Dear Dave,

Do you have any thoughts about producing the 71 (and possibly even 74) in N gauge?  I've been following the 00 thread very closely and the decoration samples that appeared in that thread 2 or 3 weeks ago were mind-blowingly superb. 

I model BR(S) 60s to early 70s, which isn't exactly overly blessed with native rtr diesel / electric motive power (4CEP, Dapol's old 73 and forthcoming 33).  It's disappointing that the major manufacturers haven't invested more in this part of the market - for example, it's bewildering (to me at least) that Farish still haven't announced a 2EPB.  Do you think a N gauge 71 could be commercially viable?  Or is this just too much of a niche (i.e. small) market in N gauge?

Would be really interested in your thoughts.

Best wishes,

Mark

Okay, wish list it is, with no consideration for costs, potential market, fit with range and what other manufacturers are doing (after all that seems to be what wish listing is all about).

And all in British 1:148 scale N Gauge.

Class 71

Class 74

4SUB emu

2&4EPB emu

4CIG emu

4VEP emu

Class 455

Class 456

G

• Like 3