DJM wish list thread

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

EM2 = Heljan

LMS twins = Heljan and Bachmann

D600 (was) Dapol, now projectd by DJM.

Agree that Heljan did EM2 & LMS twin, but otherwise different manufacturer, so no commonality!. And did Heljan reuse any parts?

Stewart

Indeed, but perhaps the model railway industry should be learning from the motor industry. Common practice there (and has been for a long time) to purchase parts from rival companies so as to avoid unnecessary tooling and development costs. Or in some cases (particularly vans), development costs have been shared. So, for instance, the same CAD/CAM scanning work could be shared between different companies where one was producing an 4mm scale model and the other a 2mm scale model.

Hello Dave et all,

As I've mentioned on a previous thread, for "n" gauge at least, the Class 40 would be an excellent addition to modeller's fleets - I can't believe that Bachmann/Farish will quickly updating their "n" model, (though I would like to be proved wrong...) considering the amount of time 4mm modellers have had to wait.

I like the idea of 3mm scale models as others have mentioned, being a scale that would have less of the technical problems of "n", and taking up a lot less room than "OO" I suppose the problem is that many people may be put off buying RTR models when so many other items such as track still need to be scratch/kit built.

Another scale that has more commercially available track and other parts in the UK is "z", perhaps if a an alternative scale were to be offered this would be more viable?

In either of these scales probably the best diesel model to offer as a start would be the Class 47, though previously done in "z" many years back!

I would add that no definitive Class 47 has yet been produced in "OO" (controverisal subjuect I know) and possibly not "O".

I think the re-tooled Grafar offering in "n" is excellent, but painfully slow in producing the array of possible livery variations.

So how about a 47 in 1.39mm, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm and 7mm scales....

Cheers,

Paul

<snip> Heljan reuse any parts?<Snip>

Stewart

I believe that the trucks were the same on the prototype (or close enough), so they might have been reused. It would have made things easier (But wasn't it a Dapol / Hattons co-production? Was there a link with the factory which produced their 10000/1?)

Luke

I'm suggesting for 4mm scale.  

I'm looking for: Accurate models - details and finishing;  suitable for conversion to EM (and P4); price competitive with Bachmann equivalents.

Some potential models:

Class 100 DMU.

Class 06 diesel shunter.

LNER J36 (Made preserved example exists).

Caley 0-4-4 tank (preserved example exists).

Bog standard wagons, not yet produced by Bachmann suitable for Big four and BR through to the 70s.  Too many possibilities to go into specifics, but BR standard 16T mineral (riveted version, see relevant thread for a recent table of numbers produced), LMS vans/opens and an LMS cattle van seem pretty obvious starting points.

Regards,

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well as you're asking Dave,  I'd like to see the following in "00"

• Swindon Cross Country 120 DMU
  •  
  • Swindon InterCity 126 DMU
  •  
  • Caley Jumbo

and dare I say an...NBL 29

Wish I could "like" this post twice or more times. caley jumbo or more likely an 812 class, as one is preserved, would be a great choice. I'd love a 126 as well but that's three different vehicles for what I think must be a limited market.......whereas a nice little steam engine in Caley blue would sell by the bucket load

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

All 4mm scale:

Has anyone voted for the "Buckjumper" J67/69? It would make a lovely twin-pack with a J15....... and think of all those detail variations!

Also, my votes are for the Johnson 1P 0-4-4T, SR U and K 2-6-0s, S15 4-6-0 (both versions) and DEFINITELY a 700 0-6-0.

• Like 1

Has anyone voted for the "Buckjumper" J67/69? It would make a lovely twin-pack with a J15.......

I reckon Bachmann must go for a J15 in the next year or two..... but wouldn't a J69 be nice - as Colin says, lots of variations, and a very useful little engine.No need to invest in tooling for a tender, and there is even one in the national collection to laser scan.

Didn't sit through the rest of the thread.

Now, the silly part of me seconds the LMS Garratt in N, though I know that could never be profitable (though the $250 paperweight I got in the mail a couple weeks ago only reaffirms my desires,) but in all seriousness, I would love a GWR 350hp shunter.  Back to silliness, having a RTR Cathedral or some other 'never-was' would be insanely amazing.

And I also second the gentleman/lady who suggested supply 'blank' coaches with number transfers.  I think it could even allow you to undercut the 'big boys,' by being able to supply bulk packs more easily.

Also, as a general idea for if/when you approach major passenger locomotive prototypes, you might want to approach Kato for rights to copy their magnetic headboards.  The locos I had with them were absolutely amazing.

Parkwood have the LMS/GWR 350 shunter in their range.

Steve.

Been following your various threads for a while now, Dave.

Great that you're onboard with Kernow for the O2 and Gate Stock.

For a short wishlist I'd go for another SR EMU, Bulleid 4SUB, possibly a 4COR;  Electrostars 375(/6/7/8) would be a good bet, too.

Do you really wade through all this stuff?

Mal

Hi Mal,

Yes I've read every posting, and think its a great exercise in understanding (almost in real time) the wants of the modeller.

There's a lot of good ideas here and please keep them coming, and some I've looked at and thought "mmmmmmmm not bad at all".

One things for certain it will be interesting to see which way the industry as a whole goes in the next couple of years in relation to Chinese production and supply versus this list etc.

I'll be keeping a beady eye on that conundrum.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Mal,

Yes I've read every posting, and think its a great exercise in understanding (almost in real time) the wants of the modeller.

There's a lot of good ideas here and please keep them coming, and some I've looked at and thought "mmmmmmmm not bad at all".

One things for certain it will be interesting to see which way the industry as a whole goes in the next couple of years in relation to Chinese production and supply versus this list etc.

I'll be keeping a beady eye on that conundrum.

Cheers

Dave

What do you mean???? I'm not across the manufacturing issues of producing models....but are you hinting the cost issues will prompt manufacturing to return to Europe?

Brenn

What do you mean???? I'm not across the manufacturing issues of producing models....but are you hinting the cost issues will prompt manufacturing to return to Europe?

Brenn

Well you never know to be honest. Whatever happens it will be profit driven that's for sure.

5 years ago the smart money was on South Korea, Thailand, India and Taiwan. However things have changed since then, and I still think that we are many years away from the contemplation of UK model manufacturing, however Mainland Europe ,especially Eastern Europe may come first.

But I think maybe manufacturers will start looking at the African continent first....Kenya etc.

One things certain, as costs go up in China, profitability (assuming the modeller won't pay more for models) will drop. So you either make cheaper models, detail wise and cut costs, or the RRP goes up to include the cost rises in China.

There's a good thread on the 'wheel tappers" section of RMweb which discusses this at length.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

63' underframe DMU's please, could a generic underframe unit be the basis for classes 114, 117, 119, 123, 124, 125, 126 & 127.

I would be more than happy to invest in some Trans Pennine sets, all boxed up as a complete unit like the Bachmann Blue Pullman, plain green, green with small yellow panels, and rail blue and grey. One day maybe!

Edited by EEType4

Hi Dave,

A 73 and EPB in 7mm would be very welcome. If the 7mm market continues to grow with the new offerings from the other producers then these 2 would plug the gap between stock and smaller locos  that fit on smaller layouts well :)

Cheers

Tom

I wish tocommend Dave upon his bravery to open up a wish list on here!

Following on from the Ixion success I'd suggest a few more industrial locos.

Manning Wardle L class - some were used on light railways such as Col Stephens - could be easy loco to do variations of cabs and wheels.

Hudswell Clarke Canal class or even PLA

The big Kitson 0-6-0ST as used at Corby all have welsh names - plenty survive

Hunslet 0-6-0DH about 288HP classic industrial shunter.

Fowler 0-4-0DH 120HP

Many of these would be nice in 1:76 and 1:43 scales.