DJM wish list thread

DJM Dave

Hi Dave,

(All in 00 please)

I'm gonna go with a loco that has been mentioned a few times already, and one that just completes the branch line scene, yup the little 14xx/48xx, a fully detailed version with a lovely new chassis would get me parting with my cash ( although the airfix model still looks a handsome little loco, i feel a new model would sell well!)

To continue with the branch line theme, a new 43xx or a new tool manor would be most welcomed by myself too, a Dean Goods would be interesting to see too

As you can probably tell i am a Western modeller, but i'm sure they will all appear one day,

Good luck with this venture though Dave, i wish you every success and will hopefully support you one day when the right model comes along that fits in with my layout, by parting with my hard earned cash :)

All the best

Matt

Edited by Tomsontour

• RMweb Gold

I'm gonna go with a loco that has been mentioned a few times already, and one that just completes the branch line scene, yup the little 14xx/48xx, a fully detailed version with a lovely new chassis would get me parting with my cash ( although the airfix model still looks a handsome little loco, i feel a new model would sell well!)

Really? Hornby has the 14xx in OO. How many do you think Dave will sell?

In my not-so-humble opinion it is pointless to ask for a RTR model to be made of something that already exists as a RTR model in one form or another, because not enough of the new version will be sold to make a profit.

Sorry Budgie,

I don't believe that to be correct.

For example, western, A3+A4, 37's 47's, 50's, etc etc have all been duplicated and sold nicely.

I think there's a market for anything that is tangibly ( and that's the only reason) better than a model of the same that's already out there.

Cheers

Dave

Budgie,

If this was the case then why have many of the same classes been done a few times over, this is called progress my friend, i'm sure Dave could produce a loco ( please let it be a 14xx ;) ) that would not only look better then the Hornby model, sorry the airfix model, and perform better then it too, as Dave says it does work and i think it could be a winner for DJM.

All the best

Matt

Well you never know to be honest. Whatever happens it will be profit driven that's for sure.

5 years ago the smart money was on South Korea, Thailand, India and Taiwan. However things have changed since then, and I still think that we are many years away from the contemplation of UK model manufacturing, however Mainland Europe ,especially Eastern Europe may come first.

But I think maybe manufacturers will start looking at the African continent first....Kenya etc.

One things certain, as costs go up in China, profitability (assuming the modeller won't pay more for models) will drop. So you either make cheaper models, detail wise and cut costs, or the RRP goes up to include the cost rises in China.

There's a good thread on the 'wheel tappers" section of RMweb which discusses this at length.

Cheers

Dave

How far away are we from viable 3D CAD batch / mass production in 00, do you think Dave?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

You asked so here is my wish list.

Steam BR standard 2 2-6-0, MR class 2 0-6-0 and a Barclay 0-4-0ST (as used at Goldington Power Station) http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5869430350/

Now as a "Modern Image" modeller (so I am told) I think the following will fill a big hole.

Locomotives

Barclay 153hp 0-4-0, 204hp 0-4-0, 204hp 0-6-0

Hunslet 153hp 0-4-0, (and tram version)

Hudswell-Clarke 204hp 0-6-0 (D2500 series), 204hp 0-6-0 (D2511 series)

Drewry 204hp 0-6-0, early series tram and non tram versions

North British 200hp 0-4-0 both versions

North British 225hp 0-4-0 all three versions

North British 330hp 0-4-0

Ruston and Hornsby 165hp 0-4-0

LMS 350hp 0-6-0 jackshaft drive

LMS/WD 350hp 0-6-0 jackshaft drive

LMS 350hp 0-6-0, the WR/BR locos could be made from these

SR/BR 350hp 0-6-0

LNER 350hp 0-6-0

DMUs in order of importance

Class 125, 116, 109, 104, 114, 120, 119, 118, 117, 100, 107, 105,  112, 113, 127, 115, 123, 124, 126

DEMU

6S, 6L, 6L, 3H, 3R,

EMU Ac

Class AM9/1, AM9/2, AM9/3, AM2, AM5/1, AM5/2, AM7, AM8/1, AM8/2, AM8/3, AM4, AM6, AM3, AM11 and maybe an AM10 if you have the time.

EMU Dc

Bury set, Glossop unit, LMS slam door Southport set, LMS/BR Southport sliding door unit, LMS Wirral set, Altrincham train, LNER North Tyneside units, NER South Tyneside coaches, BR South Tyneside units, LMS North London train and BR North London set.

Coaches

Hawksworth CK in MU green to run with 119 and 117 units.

Freight

Weltrol ENN

Flatrol EAA

Anchor mounted tank wagon

I hope this is not to big a request. Looking forward to seeing them in 2015 :no:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Dave has rated my list as funny, and it partly is but partly is not. I hope it shows how mainline locomotive orientated we as modellers can be. I have basically listed all the motive power that was in service in my modelling period of the mid sixties, less the remaining steam locos and the SR units*. We have had all the mainline diesels, (or will have). True we are short of AC locos. I hope my list shows that to have a balanced model what is missing............one hell of a lot.

Whoops I forgot the Morecombe to Lancaster EMUs. :nono:

The serious entry is an anchor mounted tank wagon, 14ton or 20ton would be nice, better still one of each.

* sorry SR modellers but even I was getting fed up listing everything.

• RMweb Gold

Quite a few? The Hornby model is just the 35 year old Airfix product, and it shows. There are plenty of areas for improvement over a model with 1970's course moulded details and inaccuracies. It wouldn't be the first time a model has been re-tooled to improve quality or that one was duplicated across the range. Maybe the question should be, how many would Hornby sell if DJM introduced one...?

I do think it great that Dave reads through this entire list, as this shows that he is getting down to a personal level with the modeller. It also means that some of the ideas suggested to the big boys but unable to be done form whatever reason could be considered for manufacture by Dave (Gas Producer Austerity for one).

Hi again Dave, fellow Jones here again,

In addition to the 700 class Black Motor what about some wagons for it to pull?

Some of those road-rail trailer 6 wheel milk wagons - the wagon with a separate milk tanker road trailer (not sure of there correct name).

Both Hornby and Dapol do the 6 wheel tanker but the road trailer version isn't even available as a kit. I think these would be a winner.

Cheers G.

• RMweb Gold

In my not-so-humble opinion it is pointless to ask for a RTR model to be made of something that already exists as a RTR model in one form or another, because not enough of the new version will be sold to make a profit.

The Hornby 14xx is basically the old Airfix model - 1970's vintage. The fact that it has lasted until now in terms of detail etc is a credit to the original designers, although I think Hornby did a refresh when they took over the tools in the 1990s.

However, you cannot run it out of the box alongside other models of more recent vintage - it looks out of place. Combined with the fact that it is not DCC-ready, it is definitely time for a new model to modern standards.

Of course you will also need a new auto-coach for the same reasons.

The Hornby 14xx has a different chassis to the Airfix - the drive is to the rear driving axle instead of the front axle.  This allows one to cut-off the casting inside the boiler, fit a "bottom" to the boiler, fill the boiler/smokebox with lead and you have a much better looking loco.  Also replace the drivers with Markits, the motor with a Mashima and it runs better.  And there is room for a Zimo 648 with a speaker in the bunker.  I've done 2 like that so won't be in the market for a newly tooled 14xx, sorry.  But if Dave does go for this them make it a 48xx without topfeed. whistle shield etc.  i.e. in pre-war condition.  That will make it different to the Hornby/Airfix version.

Mike

Dave has rated my list as funny, and it partly is but partly is not. I hope it shows how mainline locomotive orientated we as modellers can be. I have basically listed all the motive power that was in service in my modelling period of the mid sixties, less the remaining steam locos and the SR units*. We have had all the mainline diesels, (or will have). True we are short of AC locos. I hope my list shows that to have a balanced model what is missing............one hell of a lot.

Whoops I forgot the Morecombe to Lancaster EMUs. :nono:

The serious entry is an anchor mounted tank wagon, 14ton or 20ton would be nice, better still one of each.

No disrespect meant Clive, but it was the long list I was laughing at, not you or your ideas.

Apologies if thought otherwise.

Cheers

Dave

Another cry for Industrials here I'm afraid! I think I put something very similar in Ixion's "what next" thread that was partially responsible for the Fowler mind...

A decent "Austerity", especially with industrial user modifications as opposed to a J94 or a WD machine, is fantastic & to be honest that in itself is quite enough to put a big grin on my face. Bachmann's effort in 0 was fairly dissapointing, the Hornby/ Dapol 00 offering is good for it's age but not as good as it could be, so thumbs up all round there.

But... I still think there's an opening for a little outside cylinder 0-4-0ST, one of the standard designs that could be seen nearly anywhere. Ixion seems to have got the "twee" end covered with the Hudswell, the Austerity has got the other extreme nicely wrapped up, but something in the middle would be lovely- and I think popular in both 00 and 0. With one flavour of Andrew Barclay is available as a beginner's kit in both 00 and 0 I'd avoid that one, but any mid sized Peckett, Bagnall (if I had to pick one, Hawarden please but she's a bit of a big beastie really!) or RS&H would do the trick.

Thanks for not only allowing us the opportunity to wish away, but for actually reading them too...!      

• Like 1

I put it on every wish list so here goes class 303 

They didn't just run in Glasgow they also ran from Manchester to Crewe and Liverpool one was based at clacton

Several main colour schemes with smaller variations

Caledonian blue (without yellow warning panel, yellow chevrons, half yellow warning panel)

BR blue (half yellow warning panel, full yellow ends and wrap round yellow ends)

Blue / grey (full yellow ends and full yellow ends with black window surrounds) also choice of logos greater Glasgow gg, Manchester PTE, transclyde and Strathclyde transport.

Strathclyde Orange and black (with or without scotrail "woosh" refurbished sets only)

Manchester PTE Orange and brown

Strathclyde carmine and cream

Network south east (303399 test unit)

There are a number of body variations 

As built with wrap round cab windows 

Modified with flat windscreens

Refurbished with different sliding doors and hopper Windows gangway doors between coaches with or without headlight

As above but retaining sliding Windows units 55,56 & 85 only.

If you want to add an additional grill next to the brake van then you can have a class 311 as well.

Go on go on go on you know you want to.

• Like 3

I put it on every wish list so here goes class 303 

They didn't just run in Glasgow they also ran from Manchester to Crewe and Liverpool one was based at clacton

Several main colour schemes with smaller variations

Caledonian blue (without yellow warning panel, yellow chevrons, half yellow warning panel)

BR blue (half yellow warning panel, full yellow ends and wrap round yellow ends)

Blue / grey (full yellow ends and full yellow ends with black window surrounds) also choice of logos greater Glasgow gg, Manchester PTE, transclyde and Strathclyde transport.

Strathclyde Orange and black (with or without scotrail "woosh" refurbished sets only)

Manchester PTE Orange and brown

Strathclyde carmine and cream

Network south east (303399 test unit)

There are a number of body variations 

As built with wrap round cab windows 

Modified with flat windscreens

Refurbished with different sliding doors and hopper Windows gangway doors between coaches with or without headlight

As above but retaining sliding Windows units 55,56 & 85 only.

If you want to add an additional grill next to the brake van then you can have a class 311 as well.

Go on go on go on you know you want to.

the man knows his 303's!   :)

Oooh.  A wish list!!

I'm a fan of nose ends and the 1Co-Co1 wheel arrangement so given this is a wish list and therefore an "in my dreams" list (and this is all in N, BTW)....

1.) Class 40 (but Farish probably have a big development headstart on this one)

2.) Peaks (I know the Farish Peaks are only 7 years old and have a first rate body moulding and a bullet-proof chassis but the way over-wide bogies and poor couplers let them down in a major way.  Also there is no split headcode variant.  With hindsight they would have benefitted by being developed after the D800 Warship and Class 24).

I'm also a fan of prototypes, so...

3.) SR Bulleid 10201, -202 and -203

4.) EE 10000 and 10001 (yeah, both Dapol and Farish have big headstarts)

5.) Bulleid Leader 36001 0-6-6-0T 

6.) The Fell 10100

7.) DP2

8.) Falcon

9.) Prototype HST

I've never much liked Lion and Kestrel and their omission is intentional.

10.) I'm not a big Western Region fan but the D600 Warships were IMHO very attractive locos.

Finally...

11.) Diesel brake tender.  (Please!)

I know most of those are complete non-starters from a commercial POV but I genuinely believe (through my rose coloured glasses!) that a few of them (Nos. 3, 7, 10, and 11) could be commercially successful.

Matt

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You know what I'm thinking at present, having just finally completed a 2mm Class 15 after a protracted construction period, and looking at the nice Cad drawings of the bogies in the Class 17 thread? (same bogie design). Firstly that I could have done with nice bogie mouldings like that, although in N they would have been the wrong scale, and then..... oh heck, will Dave be doing a 'Danish' and announcing a CL15 to follow the 17....

Izzy

Dave, I reckon many would like you to do the NBL 21/29 that you were working on when with Dapol (I know I'd prefer you to do it!) but it's probably (hopefully?) well under development by them by now so perhaps not. 

In any case, good luck with whatever you do produce, individuality and entrepreneurism are to be greatly admired.

Paul