DJM wish list thread

DJM Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate,

Thanks for the mail.

You know, it would be hard for me to fault their logic to be honest. They have been doing it far longer than I, so have a better grounding in what would and what wouldn't sell and their ability to make their investment money back.

As for new projects, I'm sorry mate, I won't talk about anything ( even if it's unlikely) before July's model announcements, as it will do me no favours to announce the latest whiz banghuming 595 super turbo electric loco before then. Lol

Not long now, any way. :-)

Cheers

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mate,

I'd use loco drive now I have an excellent coreless motor available to me, with a huge speaker space in the tender.

Cheers

Dave

So the chuff chuf comes from the back of the loco then  :jester: tender drive and smoke unit in loco with speaker would be better. :O

So, can we take it that's a clue that the first tender loco will be either a Beyer Garratt or a GNR Sturrock 0-6-0 with a steam tender. ;)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

Can we have rolling stock that will not sell out before production begins.

Some like me are on limited budgets and do not want to pre-order to find we are stung with a bill at the wrong time but like to buy our models when we can afford them. Only to find when we have saved our cash there are none available unless we pay the e-bay speculators their inflated prices.

Hi Dave

Can we have rolling stock that will not sell out before production begins.

Some like me are on limited budgets and do not want to pre-order to find we are stung with a bill at the wrong time but like to buy our models when we can afford them. Only to find when we have saved our cash there are none available unless we pay the e-bay speculators their inflated prices.

I can see where your coming from there. Happened to me a few times. and when i did pre-ordered something it came when i just paid for a holiday.

But from a model makers point of view, a model that sells straight away is good for business. While one which sells slowly is bad. So I surspect us two and everyone else in this boat will have to grim and bear this happening alot.

Anyway some times you get lucky, toymasters are good places to find things like that!!!

Since this is a wish-list, I'll make a note of wishing for a new Class 87. I think tooling costs of this could be spread quite widely, even though I think there would be sufficient interest without other benefits.

For example:

- A Brecknell Willis panto could be sold separately, an item which is often referred to in various threads and could be a simple way to encourage modellers who want a simple improvement to the Hornby 86/90 to switch pans

- Bogies would be useful for future development of a Class 90, as would (presumably) the chassis/motor itself

- The 87 has been around in dozens of liveries with impressive geographical spread

(Taking on board thoughts of non-moving buffers etc could reduce the financial risk further). 

Edited by James90012
  • Like 1

The driveshaft was a good solution 5 years ago and I prefer the Dapol models to the contemporary Farish tender driven stuff. One slight sticking on the valve gear and it would lock making it obvious that the loco was being pushed by its tender.

Now that we have smaller, more powerful motors I think it is great that Dave is planning to start with a clean slate. The 2MT shows you can get decent haulage into even a small loco and probably represents the best current practice.

Fair play to add it to a "wish list - that's what it's for after all!

Trouble is, it has been mentioned many times, in reality the market for overhead electric locos is not really that large -  the very slow sales of the Dapol 86 and the need to heavily discount to sell them at all support this as does Bachmann's lukewarm reception to the idea of further models.

Roy

To their credit, both Dapol and Bachmann have tested the water with electrics in recent years but the response seems to have been underwhelming. The 86s, Desiros and 4-CEPs seem to have ended up in the discount bins.

This is slightly puzzling in the case of the 4-CEPs as the 00 gauge model seems to have sold well enough for Bachmann to follow it up with the 2-EPB and MLV. There seems to be regular demand for models of electric prototypes but only mediocre sales of those prototypes that are available. As one magazine editor is fond of saying, "just because there is a gap in the market does not mean there is a market in the gap".

To their credit, both Dapol and Bachmann have tested the water with electrics in recent years but the response seems to have been underwhelming. The 86s, Desiros and 4-CEPs seem to have ended up in the discount bins. This is slightly puzzling in the case of the 4-CEPs as the 00 gauge model seems to have sold well enough for Bachmann to follow it up with the 2-EPB and MLV. There seems to be regular demand for models of electric prototypes but only mediocre sales of those prototypes that are available. As one magazine editor is fond of saying, "just because there is a gap in the market does not mean there is a market in the gap".

It's noticeable that single and 2-car EMUs seem to be very much more popular than 4- or more-car EMUs - or, at least, that seems to be what's happening, judging by the enthusiasm of the manufacturers for releasing more versions and more types.

With more 2-Bils than you can shake a stick at, now followed by the 2-Hal, Hornby seems to have found a groove. Bachmann's 2-EPB appears to have been well-liked but, judging by the absence of any more versions, not to have sold as well. The Brighton Belle does not seem to have fared so well, with lots of 350s and 4CEPs sloshing around at rather good prices.

In diesel, assorted Sprinter types also seem to appear every year in new versions, and we're now also promised a GWR streamlined railcar and a new 158 (though the release date of that seems to get further away while the number of versions also appears to be shrivelling in front of our eyes).

So if I were a manufacturer I'd be looking at 2- and 3-car EMUs rather than anything lengthier, and older prototypes rather than newer (though, as a punter, I'd still like to see some PEP-derived 3-car units).

Paul

I didn't want to open this debate again, but I wonder if I can add a few dimensions to other comments, bear in mind my comments are referring to OO gauge:

I'm not too sure that 'discounts' are representative of a product being unsuccessful, there are quite a few 108 models at Hattons discounted for instance and Vitrains models were heavily reduced when in routine production. But also, since Hattons presumably purchased the 85s from Bachmann at X-price, Bachmann themselves wouldn't be at a loss unless they have a load in warehouses (note following point about limiting numbers), and I find it unlikely that Hattons would sell them at a loss (unless stock clearing). 

I think the AC market would be more successful if there were lower production numbers of each type - I know Bachmann 85101 is still available in a few locations, but these are all at top whack - no discounting here. I can see a different approach being necessary, and perhaps the limited edition could be the way to do it a la Realtrack with the 144s being produced once, and once only in each specific livery type. Granted it's not going to be a quick profit leading product, but I do find it strange that Hattons can justify dozens of Cobos for a very limited market (many of which are now discounted). 

Either way, I'm sure DJMDave managed to look at the finances for the Dapol 86 before leaving and can decide from that if it is worthwhile from experience. 

• Like 1

Hi James,

Discounting can only be attributable ( discounting 'discounting' from pre order time) to a product being unsuccessful and sitting as dead stock either in stockists, who have misread the market and purchased too many, or by manufacturers who are either held to certain minimum order quantity, or who aren't aware of what will or won't sell and have a huge over stock situation.

Looking at the yearly figures ( available from companies house at the moment) from companies who are UK based will show you an awful lot and verify my point above.

Some friendly retailers out there can also do this as there are some companies out there that indicate their stock holding to retailers every month.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to extrapolate those figures for a stock holding figure and cleverly decide, if they want to be canny, to simply wait until 6-12 months have passed and buy brand new at half price or in some cases way less.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

With more 2-Bils than you can shake a stick at, now followed by the 2-Hal, Hornby seems to have found a groove. Bachmann's 2-EPB appears to have been well-liked but, judging by the absence of any more versions, not to have sold as well. The Brighton Belle does not seem to have fared so well, with lots of 350s and 4CEPs sloshing around at rather good prices.

So if I were a manufacturer I'd be looking at 2- and 3-car EMUs rather than anything lengthier, and older prototypes rather than newer (though, as a punter, I'd still like to see some PEP-derived 3-car units).

Hi Paul

The original 1930s umber and cream Brighton Belle has sold well, but the blue and grey late version is still available at knockdown prices. The umber and cream 1960s version is released later this year; I'd have thought it would go well because many people have early to later 60s interests, although many of them may have purchased the 1930s one instead.

The first batch of 4CEPs and 2Bils did sell out quickly. I guess that 2-car units are more popular because they don't take up so much space on a small layout.

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I think the issue with OHLE vehicles, and EMUs in particular, is that they tend to be very route-specific; meaning that if you want them you really want them, and if you don't you absolutely don't. In addition, as they tend to lack the glamour of top link vehicles, the market with the collector or it's-my-trainset customer will be more limited.

Cheers

Ben A.