DJM wish list thread

DJM Dave

The 4-VEP was one of the most widespread SR EMUs. Unfortunately Hornby's model has several problems which seem to have disappointed some modellers. Whether this has been just grumbling here on the net or whether it has been enough to dent sales is something that is hard to quantify.

For a short, go anywhere EMU then Fenman may be onto something with PEP stock. The 313s have worked on the great northern, various London suburban routes and the coastway services. The 319s have also been pretty widespread although you then up to a 4-car unit again. It is notable that both units are dual voltage which does help.

The 4-VEP was one of the most widespread SR EMUs. Unfortunately Hornby's model has several problems which seem to have disappointed some modellers. Whether this has been just grumbling here on the net or whether it has been enough to dent sales is something that is hard to quantify.

I strongly believe the key problem, aside from the two or three disappointing aspects of the original model, the most annoying of which will be corrected in the next version, is that Hornby have not yet released it in the Blue Grey livery in which it ran for most of its life, and which would have suitably complemented the B/G CEP from Bachmann. I was not prepared to buy one at that price with its many faults, and try to re-spray it and carve it about, as some have cleverly done, but I, for one, have pre-ordered 3 x B/G "improved" VEPS for whenever Hornby get them here. I think that will be when a real judgement about EMU sales should be made, so that Dave can be confident about bringing out that 2 HAP....... :mail:

• RMweb Premium

Hello all,

I think the issue with OHLE vehicles, and EMUs in particular, is that they tend to be very route-specific; meaning that if you want them you really want them, and if you don't you absolutely don't. In addition, as they tend to lack the glamour of top link vehicles, the market with the collector or it's-my-trainset customer will be more limited.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben

A 100mph 10 coach AM9 in maroon, lacks glamour :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

Well I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

Otherwise you are right. :mad:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Clive,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but some things appeal to more that behold them than others.

The AM9 units are nice but to the casual and non-route specific enthusiast do not look *that* different to a 4-CEP (though I accept the maroon livery did give them a certain cachet.)

I would suggest that to the collector or casual enthusiast a "glamour" unit would be the Brighton Belle, Eurostar, Pendolino or Javelin, and it does not surprise me that all of these are available RTR.

Indeed, between the 1930s and the 1990s UK EMU design tended to be very focused on "short haul" utilitarian, Mk1 and then Mk3 derived designs, with electric expresses still left to locomotives.

For me the "glamour" EMUs of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s would be not the AM9s or AM10s but the Settebello, TGV and of course numerous generations of Shinkansen.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but some things appeal to more that behold them than others.

The AM9 units are nice but to the casual and non-route specific enthusiast do not look *that* different to a 4-CEP (though I accept the maroon livery did give them a certain cachet.)

Cheers

Ben A.

Oi Ben

A 4CEP, wot with its flat front. :angry:  Do ya want to take this off line :no: :no:

Your AM9 had beautiful curved windscreens, a domed roof and buffet served Angus steaks which you didn't have time to finish if you got off at Chelmsford (so I am told). :sungum:

There were some lovely looking EMUs over the years, the LNWR Oerlikon sets, the NER and LNER Tyneside units, The LMS sliding door Southport trains and the GWR and Met R Hammersmith and City stock. Yes they were line specific but weren't the A4s and Duchess pacifics for most of their working days?

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Clive, part of the issue with your comparison is the rather limited international market.  For example, I, living in the U.S., have only become aware of the different EMU classes in England as a whole in the past couple of years.  I, and many of my friends who are not even into trains all too much, can recognize A4's and Duchesses at a glance.

EMU's might just be a little too deep into utilitarian service for successful sales.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Clive,

I appreciate that there will be those who consider the AM9 units to be glamorous and worthy of an RTR model and also those who want them to suit a particular layout, but I suspect to the more casual enthusiast, on cursory inspection, they look like coaches with windows at the front.

I'm not familiar with the other units you mentioned but I suspect they date from the 1930s or before, which supports my previous post.

As I said, for manufacturers the issue with EMUs is that there will be those who really really want a particular type, while the rest of us are ambivalent. And I'm not saying I *don't* want you to get your AM9, just that I think it's a good example of this issue.

And if you're a manufacturer shelling out for new tooling and production (especially for an EMU which often requires more than one body and different bogies) then you need to be confident there will be depth to the sales.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ben

While I agree EMUs are line specific and would be a gamble for any manufacturer, but manufacturers do take a gamble. Hornby's P2 model was limited to a short section of mainline in its short life (in railway trems), even more so in the form Hornby are modelling it.

Now a series of EMUs based on the 313, 314, 315, 507 and 508 classes surley must be actractive for a manufacturer. Five basic bodies, the driving car and trailer were common to all the classes (no trailer in the 313 or 314). The panotgraph car for the 313 was slightly different to the 314 and 315. Slight variation in the under gubbins between units and two bogie designs, one with pick up shoes and those without. In service since 1977, wearing more liveries than any other EMUs still in service. Allocated all over the country. And for a suburban unit nice looking.

This is a wish list and unless people suggest EMUs then they will not be made.

Clive, part of the issue with your comparison is the rather limited international market.  For example, I, living in the U.S., have only become aware of the different EMU classes in England as a whole in the past couple of years.  I, and many of my friends who are not even into trains all too much, can recognize A4's and Duchesses at a glance.

EMU's might just be a little too deep into utilitarian service for successful sales.

Hi Alfa

I am not sure where the international part comes in this conversation. If someone is modelling a British line that is electrified then a suitable EMU will be on their list of requirements, just like a SDP45 could be for a Erie and Lackawanna based layout. Most of my British modelling friends cannot tell a EMD from a GE diesel let alone small batches of railroad specific classes of loco.

• Like 1

The Hornby P2 may have appeared a gamble but in reality it appears a far more considered choice. Simon Kohler is quoted elsewhere as saying he never doubted it would succeed. Logically it is easy to see why. It is a quirky prototype, has huge presence and colourful liveries. If ever there were a "Rule 1" loco this would be it. Then consider that a brand new 12 in/ft one is currently in build by the A1 Trust. I believe it is a "Design Clever" loco, and whatever our opinions are of that in this case it keeps production and therefore RRPs keen which will capture the more discretionary spend.

Conversely and sadly, even a range of EMU types sharing essentially the same body-shape would never be in similar demand. They form a significant part of our railway heritage for sure, but  manufacturers certainly appear (justifiably) wary of committing to similar EMU projects due to the poor sales of the ones they have done, especially certain livery variants.

To be wholly balanced the same appears true of certain DMU liveries. The difference I would think is that "buoyant" sales of the popular liveries (BR green especially) are in sufficient volumes to offset slower sales elsewhere in terms of recovery of tooling costs.

Regards

Roy

For N Gauge please Dave,

LSWR O2 Tank

Beattie Well Tank

LSWR T9 

SDJR 7F

GWR 43xx

I know Union Mills offer a T9 but as well as the lack of DCC, I think their chassis is rather crude.

--------------------------------------------------

I like your thinking, and who knows? July is only just around the corner.

However, what I am aware of is that I could announce a list of items, but reality is that finances won't stretch for them in the short term, and it would be foolish of me to announce them when I'm 2-3 years away from producing them.

My list for July consists of steam and diesel so I think there might be something for most modellers in there, unless you model Isle of Man steam that is ;-)

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

Hi Nik,

Yes, only loco's for the time being, as they are bigger ticket items and allow me to recoup my investment much faster than wagons ever would, and this is good for a 'fledgling' company :-)

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Nik,

Yes, only loco's for the time being, as they are bigger ticket items and allow me to recoup my investment much faster than wagons ever would, and this is good for a 'fledgling' company :-)

Cheers

Dave

fully understand thanks for answering

Nik

• RMweb Premium

My list for July consists of steam and diesel so I think there might be something for most modellers in there, unless you model Isle of Man steam that is ;-)

So you're sticking with the Manx Electric Railway & the Snaefell Mountain Railway? Great! A model of Laxey would be rather nice... :no:

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• Like 1

I would like to see some North Eastern locos, I am sure they would be popular, long lasting (9/67), reasonably well travelled, The last pre-grouping locos on BR and some still preserved. my list would contain A8, B16, D20, G5, J21 or 27, Q6 or 7 none have ever been available RTR before in fact the only NER loco was the Mainline/ Bachmann J72 which is a little dated now.....I could go on but enough for now.....

Owen Lancaster

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

--------------------------------------------------

Cheers

Dave

Damn!!!!!

• Like 1

Despite their unavailability in OO I'd shy away from the D20, J26/27 and J25 simply because the UM models are out there.

Nobody seems to be looking at the B16 (70 locos, unrebuilt ones lasted to 1962).   Although the class was concentrated at York and Leeds in later years this meant they ranged over the Trans-Pennine routes (confirmed reports in Liverpool and Blackpool) and reached both Kings Cross and Marylebone on passenger, and there is a nice pic of one leaving Oxford Northbound on a fitted goods.

For a nice NER 0-6-0 there's always the J21- wide range as they got out of their home region, pretty for an 0-6-0, one preserved in green.  Vacuum fitted meaning unlike the J25/6/7 can be justified on passenger.  65033 was even allowed to take a railtour Northbound over Shap without a banker!

For tank locos the A8 was a big hefty beast but doesn't reach back into NER times as a 4-6-2T, being rebuilt from H1 4-4-4Ts in the thirties, while the G5 is a nice loco with a long life and allocations outside the NER area (Saffron Walden line was a G5 stronghold for instance).

Hope this is helpful for 2015....

Les

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Probably been mentioned but any of the 64ft DMU sets 114 - 123

A 117 set was laser scanned by a company that is producing a 121/122 unit, so I'd expect that as a next catalogue announcement, if not earlier!

• Like 3

I doubt you're playing non-UK subjects, but a not-$1500 N scale Milwaukee Road 'Little Joe' would be neat.  And I could see it selling rather well.  I'm not the only one over here who laments a lack of a reasonable model in N.

• RMweb Gold

N scale Milwaukee Road 'Little Joe' would be neat.  And I could see it selling rather well.

I've got a couple of these in HO, and I'd certainly buy a couple in N.