LMS 10000 / BR 10001 in black livery - Rails Sheffield

Andy Y

Hi -thanks for posting this picture - not seen this shot before.

Unfortunately though, this is the side of the loco that I have already seen. It is the other side that I am not sure about i.e. where the main radiator grille is on the right hand side of the body but does the lion face right towards the grille on that side or face left away from the grille.

How does the Rails one run in comparison to the Hattons one ?

They are not too dissimilar. The Bachmann one has a little more detail, in particualr around the buffer beam. The Dapol one is slightly heavier which should halp with traction. Unfortunately I haven't been able to test the Bachmann one yet as SWMBO threw out my stash of DCC chips by mistake.

The overall shape and colour is a good match, even the bogies compare well. The biggest difference isiin the detail where on the Bachmann model many elements stand out, particualrly on the roof (see my photos above). One could argue there is too much detail on the Bachmann one, even exaggerated. The Dapol one is not at all toy-like, thay have just chosen not to make the detail stand-out to the same extent.

They are not too dissimilar. The Bachmann one has a little more detail, in particualr around the buffer beam. The Dapol one is slightly heavier which should halp with traction. Unfortunately I haven't been able to test the Bachmann one yet as SWMBO threw out my stash of DCC chips by mistake.

The overall shape and colour is a good match, even the bogies compare well. The biggest difference isiin the detail where on the Bachmann model many elements stand out, particualrly on the roof (see my photos above). One could argue there is too much detail on the Bachmann one, even exaggerated. The Dapol one is not at all toy-like, thay have just chosen not to make the detail stand-out to the same extent.

Very sorry to hear your stash of Dcc chips was thrown out.

I have the two Dapol models from Hattons.

I had intended to have 10000 from Hattons & 10001 from Rail but Rails were taking so long I was afraid I would miss out so I bought 10001 from Hattons before supplies ran out.

I remember at the time Rails gave the Dapol model all types of grief on their website. All about the different level of detail on the various models & saying the Dapol models were wrong etc. At the time I thought it very strange to be slagging off another companies model in public.

So i was just wondering if there was a great deal of difference between the two models as there was a bit of a difference in price.

The most visible differences in the detailing are the roof (and only one end) and the buffer beams. In my photos you see flecks of orange on the Bachmann one, there is very little on the Dapol one and it is all black. The roof detail on the Dapol model is moulded and all the same colour, the Bachmann one appears to have some roof detail applied separately and is painted black underneath.

The Bachmann model is more detailed, but that does not necessarily mean it is a more accurate reproduction.

The most visible differences in the detailing are the roof (and only one end) and the buffer beams. In my photos you see flecks of orange on the Bachmann one, there is very little on the Dapol one and it is all black. The roof detail on the Dapol model is moulded and all the same colour, the Bachmann one appears to have some roof detail applied separately and is painted black underneath.

The Bachmann model is more detailed, but that does not necessarily mean it is a more accurate reproduction.

Thanks Matabiau.

Its interesting to know the differences in detail & how its applied.

• 2 weeks later...

The Bachmann 31-999z limited edition Ivatt LMS 10000 loco from Rails of Sheffield has been very popular.

According to post #77 on this thread the loco was available to buy from around 21st August.

Rails web site yesterday showed 'Last Few Left' of 31-999z but today, less than four weeks later, the site says 'Sold Out'

The boxed set 31-999y containing 10000 and 10001 is still avalable, as is 31-999x, the solo 10001.

It is possible that Rails still have a few 31-999z in hand to cover orders and returns with a problem. Is anyone still waiting for their order to be delivered?

Guest spet0114

Rails now doing 10000/1 with early crest £149.50 plus a weathered version £169.50 and a sound version at £289 ,50 , does not state where sound has been sourced from,with a 2 week delivery on all

10001 only as 10000 has sold out.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see this latest move by rails - I had a BR black with crest on order when they were first anounced and was a little disappointed when it got cancelled a year or so ago.

I have toyed with the idea of getting 10001 and doing what Rails are now doing (adding a BR crest) but was put off by the fact that other mods would be needed. Can any of the other forum readers perhaps help by saying what other things specifically need doing to 10001 so that Rails latest offering would be correct.

Unfortunately and fortunately I do have the Hatton's/Dapol 10001 with early crest..

So when I read today's announcement from Rails I was disappointed to discover they were not doing  a 10000.. with early crest..

But hopefully with all this interest they may be persuaded to do a run of 10000 in black with an early crest.

I do know a goodly few who would snap them up if they did...

Now - They fitted the southern lamp iron arrangement for running on Southern rails..

But off hand I can't tell about any other changes they might have made -

And as 10000 was not produced by Dapol with the early crest - a photograph of 10001 with same would not necessarily be accurate.

• 1 month later...

Email today from Rails stating that they now have less than ten left of the Twins Box Set.

Late one Sunday evening in early September just gone I bought 10000 and 10001 as separate items because Rails site stated that there were only a few left of the LMS version. The next day the 10000 was sold out as a single item so I was lucky to get one. Does anyone know for sure how many of each were produced?

The first model train I made was of LMS 10000 in wood from a pattern in 'Hobbies Weekly' magazine circa 1951. I would like to find a copy of this pattern but nothing found online so far. This loco has been a favourite ever since so I had to buy 10000 and 10001 to replace the Kirdon versions I have (one complete in red box and runs, the other still as an unmade body kit in brown box).

No contest in which is best model for looks and running. The green version of 10000 in 1957 condition has different covers on roof at B-end. Also a very good runner but wish there was a switch to turn off the cab lights for DC operation.

• RMweb Premium

....but wish there was a switch to turn off the cab lights for DC operation.

That is easily solved, remove the bodyshell (The cab lights are fixed into it and use wiper contacts to press down on the main PCB  when it is all together) and apply a bit of tape (insulation / masking or even selotape) over the contacts on the PCB - then reassemble. Simples (and easily reversible if necessary).

• RMweb Gold

Late one Sunday evening in early September just gone I bought 10000 and 10001 as separate items because Rails site stated that there were only a few left of the LMS version. The next day the 10000 was sold out as a single item so I was lucky to get one. Does anyone know for sure how many of each were produced?

The first model train I made was of LMS 10000 in wood from a pattern in 'Hobbies Weekly' magazine circa 1951. I would like to find a copy of this pattern but nothing found online so far. This loco has been a favourite ever since so I had to buy 10000 and 10001 to replace the Kirdon versions I have (one complete in red box and runs, the other still as an unmade body kit in brown box).

No contest in which is best model for looks and running. The green version of 10000 in 1957 condition has different covers on roof at B-end. Also a very good runner but wish there was a switch to turn off the cab lights for DC operation.

Now showing as sold out/discontinued on the Rails site.

I ordered a set yesterday and it arrived today so maybe I got the last one?......noted on the certificate as #024 of 1000 sets. Looks lovely.

Archived