Seen at Acton Town

EddieB

Well, I thought I'd posted this before, but it has disappeared.

Here are a couple of photos taken at Acton Town on 13th April this year (coming away from the Open Day).  I'm struggling to identify these units, which look like they are too recent to be included in my lists of LUL engineering stock.  What are they?

post-10122-0-87114900-1384553367_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-96084700-1384553369_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

RGU suggests Rail Grinder Unit.  They grind the rails in non-traffic hours to keep the ideal profile on the head and maximise wheel - rail contact (and thus adhesion and braking) plus ensure good electrical contact for track circuit operation.  An educated guess might suggest the fans are to blow residual dust away from the operator in the confines of a 12' diameter tube tunnel.

• 6 years later...
On 17/11/2013 at 18:32, EddieB said:

Thank you, gentlemen.  That has enabled me find more about this unit - including this rather fetching product poster from Schweerbau: http://www.schweerbau.de/en/pages/yellow-machine-2013.pdf

Seems that an RGU normally consists of three sections.

The extra car with the fans was added after the northern line run away ....... this car provides power in case of  an engine failure so the RGU can maintain air and brake control during recovery 

• Thanks 1