Replacing wheels on Hornby MK2s?

Hello, I have been having some issues with the plastic wheels that came with my Hornby MK2 coaches, they speed track dirt and make the train harder to pull which Is a problem on my layout as I have a gradient.

Does anyone know where I can get suitable metal replacements for the coaches?

Thanks.

Hello, I have been having some issues with the plastic wheels that came with my Hornby MK2 coaches, they speed track dirt and make the train harder to pull which Is a problem on my layout as I have a gradient.

Does anyone know where I can get suitable metal replacements for the coaches?

Thanks.

Hi,

I had a few of these from when I was a kid, I got rid a while ago and replaced them with Bachmann's, but I used the Hornby 12.6mm solid disk wheels until then.  I think the wheels might be 0.5mm over-scale (but no one in this house would notice, including me) but they just clipped in to the bogies and improved things no end.  They're available from the usual model shops and a well known online auction website, come in packs of 10, model number R8096, here's a link.

Hope that helps,

Alun

• 3 weeks later...

hello hope you got the problem sorted another cure is to use the silver seal whellsets

with a metal tyres these roll well and usually look great

available from several sources

But have plastic axles which can bend and cause all sorts of problems!  Silver seal wheels are for toys, the sort of toys that are designed to make sure children have a frustrating Christmas!!

Alun

alun i have to say that is untrue they dont bend if they did or have done they would snap
i have many trains with the silver seal wheels on them and they run really freely and easy
early triang wheels are the problem where 1950's through to about 1957 they were fitted with celouse acetate wheels these develop flatspots or distort the tread on the wheel

I have to agree. The Silverseal wheel sets really aren't worth bothering with anymore. Hornby's own wheels packs are better. The sometimes need a bit of gauge widening but that's easily done and checked with a vernier. Some of our club stock had silverseal wheels and these have all been replaced with Hornby's newer wheels or romfords when they were more reasonably priced. The only time the original wheels have gone back in is when we've sold said stock and we've wanted the newer wheels for something else. 

Archived