Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Mike Hayward

Sandy Harper

Mike Hayward

It is with great sadness that I have to report the untimely passing of Mike Hayward.

Mike had entered Hospital on 11th November 2013, at Wythenshawe in Manchester for a repeat of open heart surgery which he previously underwent in 2006. Circumstances prevailed which meant that he did not regain consciousness after the operation, and was on life support which had to be withdrawn, on Monday 18th He is survived by his mother.

Mike grew up in the Wimbledon area and was familiar with the Bournemouth main line of the Southern, hence his affection for the LSWR.

On leaving school, he went on to take a science degree and later became a member of the Institiute of Civil Engineers. He joined the Civil Service.

I first met him in 1978, when he was working in Taunton in the regional office of the Ministry of Transport. His interest in railways was rekindled and he became a team member of the Lyme Regis layout which was often exhibited. He was active in the South Western Circle and the E M Gauge Society.

His layouts had a theme which embraced the Chesil area of Dorset. Chesil Beach in 4mm EM and Chesil Exchange in 7mm scale were often on the exhibition circuit.

In the 1980s, he took a post in the North West Region of the Highways Agency offices in Manchester, which required a house move to Bramhall near Stockport. He quickly made friends in the area with EMGS members and was an avid supporter of Expo EM North. He became a staunch participant in the Manchester Locomotive Society.

Mike also had a keen interest in Swiss Railways and in London Transport.

After his first stroke, he took up a healthy walking and fitness regime and led walks for the Trans Pennine District Walking Society, which was sponsored by the County Council.

Apart from the occasional articles which he wrote for the Railway Modeller, he will be sadly missed by the Societies which he supported and by his many friends countrywide and in Switzerland.

On behalf of Derek Mundy

Thanks for posting this sad news Sandy on behalf of Derek. Mike was a really nice guy, very helpful to other modellers and a staunch supporter of the Rochdale show, among many others in the north west, over the years since he relocated to Bramhall. He'll be very much missed.

• RMweb Premium

That is very sad news; I didnt know Mike personally, but as a southwesterner I was a great admirer of his Chesil Beach layout, and he was a familiar face in the South Western Circle.

My condolencies,

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived