PETES WORKBENCH. Scratch building a LSWR 0395 class, long term project

N15class

Exciting times ahead. Looking forward to following your progress.

Second to building locos is planning new layout. My current layout, Makenbach, will be around for the forceable future though.

I am now home I have a large suitcase full of things to find a home for. But best of all I got about 45kg of books back here

I do like the planing side of layouts although it is a while since I built one. I did not bring any track with me as I ran out of time to organize it. So will just have to hope they let it through customs without the usual 60% duty. 

Here we have a blast from the past.

This is my first scratch build, After many kit builds where I ended up only using a few of the parts in the box. 

The only parts purchased apart from brass and nickel silver were the wheels and motor.

You will see from the photos that it is missing one front step and the brake gear, Well the brakes are in the box but the step will need replacing. I think I may get it up and running again. Not that I have anywhere to run it, but it would be fun. It was originally built with a home made tender drive but there was never enough weight in it to pull any sort of train. It now has a big Mashima in the fire box. I was always pleased with the way it looks and I think the second time I painted it it looks even better, the repainting was due to butchery needed to shoe horn an oversize motor into the firebox. 

I built this just over 30 years ago. A kit was made just after I finished this but I do believe the kit was pretty poor. Sorry about the fluff on the lens, it will be cleaned.  

post-13601-0-11782300-1421968274_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-90038400-1421968301_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-00549900-1421968325_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-58959300-1421968347_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-32382500-1421968371_thumb.jpg

By the way if you had not realised it is 4mm scale not 7mm. It even makes the little 0395 look huge.

post-13601-0-81437100-1421968396_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I aquired a couple of basic coach kits some time ago. But I only got my hands on them over Christmas and I had a good look at them for the first time today. They are or were produced by the south western circle.

The coaches are for a 56 foot sliding door brake third. and a 52 foot composite. The etchings are really nice and come with a wooden floor and roof. There are also nicely cast whitemetal bogies. I am not sure if I will keep them or change to the Roxey ones, which I like, but it all depends on cost. I have a couple of sets of corridor connectors that I will add to the kits. The interiors I will do from plasticard.

I will have to have a look in the Weddel carriage book for more info, but I thought  they would make a nice down graded two car set for Bodmin. I also have but not pictured an etch Maunsell composite. Which I would also like to find a brake third to pair with it.

post-13601-0-45602300-1421978976_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-58278200-1421978997_thumb.jpg

I am looking forward to starting these later in the year, it is a long time since I have built coach kits.

• Like 6

Well, when you have them you need try them for size.

They need proper cleaning up and seating. But I think they will look the part.

post-13601-0-29038300-1422104351_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-19683500-1422104384_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-30495000-1422104419_thumb.jpg

Apart doing this bit I opened up the Ivatt box. Not done much as I have my usual problem after a day in an airplane, I feel like death. Why do I catch everybody's bl@@dy bugs.

• Like 7

Peter, we were whatching a programme about jet lag and catching bugs.  In actual fact, despite common belief, it is extremely rare to 'catch' a bug from air travel. The air is purified in the air circulation system and draws in pure air from the atmosphere which is free from contamination at high altitudes.

(Our daughter is an executive jet pilot and tells us a lot of amazing info regarding aircraft systems blowing a lot of myths out the window.)

The reason you feel ill as if you have a bug, is a mixture of some these causes.

Besides fatigue and insomnia, a jet lag sufferer may experience a number of physical and emotional symptoms including anxietyconstipationdiarrhea,confusiondehydrationheadache, irritability, nausea, sweating, coordination problems, dizziness, and even memory loss. Some individuals report additional symptoms, such as heartbeat irregularities and increased susceptibility to illness.

No wonder you and my wife and I on our regular trip to the USA feel so ill on our return. The answer given to helping with jet lag problems was to drink lots of water during and after the flight as dehydration is a major cause of the ill feeling. Mind you a lot of time is then spent looking for toilets. :stinker: 

Edited by jazz

Peter, we were whatching a programme about jet lag and catching bugs.  In actual fact, despite common belief, it is extremely rare to 'catch' a bug from air travel. The air is purified in the air circulation system and draws in pure air from the atmosphere which is free from contamination at high altitudes.

(Our daughter is an executive jet pilot and tells us a lot of amazing info regarding aircraft systems blowing a lot of myths out the window.)

The reason you feel ill as if you have a bug, is a mixture of some these causes.

Besides fatigue and insomnia, a jet lag sufferer may experience a number of physical and emotional symptoms including anxietyconstipationdiarrhea,confusiondehydrationheadache, irritability, nausea, sweating, coordination problems, dizziness, and even memory loss. Some individuals report additional symptoms, such as heartbeat irregularities and increased susceptibility to illness.

No wonder you and my wife and I on our regular trip to the USA feel so ill on our return. The answer given to helping with jet lag problems was to drink lots of water during and after the flight as dehydration is a major cause of the ill feeling. Mind you a lot of time is then spent looking for toilets. :stinker: 

I also heard that the air in aircraft when smoking was allowed was cleaner  as the changed it more frequently.

I am always ok on the way to the UK. Maybe I need to come over when it is warmer.

I also heard that the air in aircraft when smoking was allowed was cleaner  as the changed it more frequently.

I am always ok on the way to the UK. Maybe I need to come over when it is warmer.

Now that is the opposite for us, outward to the US not all that bad. Returning to the UK really knocks us about.  The air is constantly recycled and fresh air constantly introduced.

When smoking was permitted the filtering systems were badly clogged up.

• RMweb Premium

Well, when you have them you need try them for size.

They need proper cleaning up and seating. But I think they will look the part.

attachicon.gifa.jpg

attachicon.gifb.jpg

attachicon.gifc.jpg

Apart doing this bit I opened up the Ivatt box. Not done much as I have my usual problem after a day in an airplane, I feel like death. Why do I catch everybody's bl@@dy bugs.

Very nice, very much looks the part. Always a relief when the boiler fittings not only fit but look the part. So upsetting, and expensive, when they don't.

Very nice, very much looks the part. Always a relief when the boiler fittings not only fit but look the part. So upsetting, and expensive, when they don't.

Yes I like they way they look too.

Go on, show the contents of the Ivatt box...

I will do but it will be on my blog with the my sale stuff.

True - but mostly because of technological change. Put simply, the design of aircraft air conditioning systems has become more sophisticated over the years.

The air is bled from the engine compressor (so it is hot from the compression) and mixed with colder air to provide the requisite temperatures throughout the cabin. This engine air bleed is at a cost in terms of the engine performance and hence fuel consumption. To reduce this cost, a large amount of the conditioned air is filtered and recirculated before eventually being dumped overboard. There are two main valves which control this and the aft (rear) valve opens slightly more than the forward valve to promote an airflow from front to back through the cabin. This is largely historical, dating from when smoking was permitted, and ensures that the smoke got carried overboard through the aft outflow valve. The banning of smoking has permitted modern aircraft to employ recirculating systems to reduce operating costs.

Cheers

Dave (flying big jets since 1972)

• 3 weeks later...

I spent a little time on the 0395 today I was moving things around and moved the box with the castings. Well, I got sidetrack and started fitting the tender ones. It was also nice to have a break from Ivatt. With which I have been fighting with for a while.

I was happy to start thinking how I could say that it was finished. But like all things I look at the photos to see which ones to post. No buffers fitted, so I will do that in the morning. Then I can start the clean up.

Here are the photos, I am happy with the way it looks. The brake standard need to be modified a little as it was for the from a different Adams tender. and had a bracket on it. The filler and axle box castings are all very nice and needed very little cleaning up.

post-13601-0-94162700-1423770578_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-32806700-1423770608_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-82633800-1423770634_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-49069600-1423770660_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-46067300-1423770687_thumb.jpg

I Have found some additional plans for the loco and found out I have done the loco brake pull rods incorrectly. I have done a single pull where it should be double from the front to the rear hangers then a in a vee to the main lever. But that will be problem for another day.

• Like 4

I've just started researching the U1's for a future commission, and the availability of parts is rather thin.

Even the drawings are a problem, but I do have a few which gives some good details.

Getting back to the chimney, this will be a part that will go into Hobbyhorse.

The build for the loco is a few years away at the moment.

Simon

Edited by hobbyhorse

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but why did you decide to scratch build. Would it not have been easier to build the one available from Laurie Griffin?

Bob

ps I think you are doing a stunning job of the scratch build. 

I've just started researching the U1's for a future commission, and the availability of parts is rather thin.

Even the drawings are a problem, but I do have a few which gives some good details.

Getting back to the chimney, this will be a part that will go into Hobbyhorse.

The build for the loco is a few years away at the moment.

Simon

I had noticed things are few and far between. I know DJB did a mogul or two but not sure if one was the U1. I actually just need the chimney as they fitted all the Urie S15 with it. I am trying to see how close the N chimney is but I cannot find a drawing of either at the moment. When will yours go into your Hobbyhorse range?

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but why did you decide to scratch build. Would it not have been easier to build the one available from Laurie Griffin?

Bob

ps I think you are doing a stunning job of the scratch build. 

Thanks.

Well I am using a lot of Laurie's castings. But the reasons for scratch building is I like it and I am a cheap skate, also The kits are blown up Jidenco/Falcon Brassworks kits. I kave built a couple when they were from Shedmaster, and they were not easy especially the frames. My Well tank featured earlier is from them and I have 700 class to do when I muster the strength to look at the frames so it will work.

• Like 2

Pete, 

I"ve got some GA"s that show the chimneys for the N and U classes, can't email from this forum as the file size is to large. If you can PM your private email I will let you have them.

My U1 project is at least 2 years away, so the chimney would be some time after that as I would start the basics of the locos then do most of the pattern making after that.

Simon

Ok. Thanks for the reply, I think I'll have a go at the Laurie Griffin one and be ware of the frames

I would have a word with Laurie and see what imprvements have been made. I think the 0395 is one of the prettiest 0-6-0's. I have always liked them. I had a load of nickle silver and a set of tender wheels so I thought that gave opertunaty to start.

Bob

Pete, 

I"ve got some GA"s that show the chimneys for the N and U classes, can't email from this forum as the file size is to large. If you can PM your private email I will let you have them.

My U1 project is at least 2 years away, so the chimney would be some time after that as I would start the basics of the locos then do most of the pattern making after that.

Simon

Thanks Simon.

Iwill send my email in a PM. I made a few masters for my own use in 4mm. Have always fancied a locos worth.

Back tracking a little I have been re reading my Beattie classes by Bradley, It looks like I can have the lined livery on BWT that I wanted.

It seems I have I need to do is......... 

Renumber to 0314 (3314) which was rebuilt in 1931 just at the right time for my modelling. It was not painted plain black until 1939, it was still lined when it got the Bullied lettering.  I can even have the E prefix. It also did not receive the 3314 number until 1935.

Or add lining to number 3298 which was renumbered (0298) and rebuilt in 1933 right at the end of my timescale, so still possible.  An excuse to keep it like new. Again it would be lined as it was not repainted plain black until 1938.

Here it is at the moment. I am thinking how much better it will look with the green lining. Might even get to put the well tank breather pipe on too.

post-13601-0-84348400-1424538939_thumb.jpg

Sometimes I think the lack of knowledge can be a wonderful thing.

• Like 3

Thanks for that.

I just looked in the Bradley's book, There is and undated picture of  E0314 after rebuild but before renumbering in 1935. Which has small heads on the buffers. next dated picture is 1948 with large heads. So I think I will be OK.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been playing today. I thought I would like to make an axle run more as it should rather that float across the frames as usual,

All in all it seems to have worked when it goes in it's set of frames I will know for sure, I will need to use some form of downward and centralising springing. 

post-13601-0-07069100-1426798024_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-77521900-1426798042_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-96415900-1426798060_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-35804600-1426798079_thumb.jpg

If you go to my blog you will see the loco this one is destine for.

• Like 1