RMweb commission Hunslet 'Austerity' through DJModels

Andy Y

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've had a few IT distractions over the last couple of weeks but the artwork is now on its way to China so we should see a decorated sample sometime after Chinese New Year.

It's the first time I've had to work out the full details of a livery from references and produce the artwork, DJ Models supplied the line drawing of course but even so it takes quite a few hours to do all the fills and make a call on the tones of colours, after all there's nothing to match it to in this case. There's no matching fonts for the number so it's been a case of doing it the long way.

Hunslet 3889 NCB 65 artwork small.jpg

• Like 7

Ye gods that bunker looks horrible- must mean you've got it right as I always thought wasp stripes looked nasty on steam bunkers in the prototype......

I'm looking forward to receiving mine.  If you've only just got the artwork on its way that hopefully should put it far enough down the queue for my wallet to have recovered from the BR one and 71515 before it arrives.

All the very best

Les

Will it be possible to have one shipped over to Germany? If so, then I'll definitely go for one.

Hi,

Shipping to Germany is available at cost to be notified when we ask you for your credit card details for the model.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can I just check whether I was supposed to have had an email or similar to confirm my order?  I (think I) ordered a while back, but I haven't heard anything.  Also, does VAT come off for us decadent Channel Island types?

Thanks

Tom

Can I just check whether I was supposed to have had an email or similar to confirm my order? I (think I) ordered a while back, but I haven't heard anything. Also, does VAT come off for us decadent Channel Island types?

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the message.

I can't see anything on file for you I'm afraid. However not to worry, please re order and I'll confirm I have it as soon as I get a confirmation mail from my system, in a pm to you.

As for VAT, I'll look into it, and if it's the case, of course I will, and if not, I'll charge you 5 times the amount for being cheeky and also living in such a beautiful place! ;-)

Cheers

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dave dropped by on Friday afternoon with the first deco sample; he did warn me in advance about the colour!

Aust1s.jpg

Aust2s.jpg

Yes, it is far too lemony but I'll hold my hands up and say that the applied colour was not that far off the Pantone colour I'd quoted on the artwork, it's only when you see it on a model you can make a judgement and that verdict was, from Dave, me and everyone else who's looked at it was "Yuk!"

But that's the whole point of a deco sample, to look at the application and then see what needs to be done, in this case get a pair of Foster Grants or use it as a hi-viz jacket or tone the yellow down. We've discussed and agreed a shade which will change its appearance towards the adjusted image shown below.

There are other issues:

The red needs to be a little darker and less orange.

The chimney should be yellow, as per the artwork, and not black.

The vertical face of the rainstrips on the cab roof should be black rather than yellow (as per the artwork).

There shouldn't be a lamp bracket on this one over the smokebox.

For some reason they use a cab back from the J94 high bunker variant with rectangular windows rather than the correct round windows with safety bars.

We have determined through one image that the tank-side ladders were bracketed onto the handrail rather than the tank-side in this case but we will leave as-is and if anyone wishes to tackle that aspect it can be done later by snipping the ladder back and filling the two small holes.

There was, on the real thing, a pipe from the dome to the cab, presumably to measure pressure. It wouldn't be worth tooling that for this limited run of 200 but I've had a brief discussion with someone who maye be able to supply this as a 3D print aftermarket part.

I'm delighted with all the other aspects of the model, particularly the definition of the wasp stripes on the bunker with the lamp brackets cleanly applied afterwards and the lettering and numbers with the shadowing.

Aust1s-adjusted.jpg

• Like 8

I do like the wonky lamp iron, very industrial, keep it.  You have checked that the prototype actually had all three?  Many either lost them or never had them to start with.

If my sums are right that puts you three months (ish) behind the Hattons ones- is that a fair assessment?  If so it will give my wallet time to recover from a possible excess of saddletanks.....

All the very best

Les

Just Wondering, I ordered one of these using the above link, it all seemed to work okay.

But I've got no confirmation email. Should I get one? Or are they all gone?

(Absolutely love the canary yellow)

Regards

Keith

Just Wondering, I ordered one of these using the above link, it all seemed to work okay.

But I've got no confirmation email. Should I get one? Or are they all gone?

(Absolutely love the canary yellow)

Regards

Keith

Please check your spam box, but yes, if you've reserved one successfully then you should get a confirmation e mail.

No there are a few left but not many, and I expect them to sell completely out once the second deco breaks cover in a few weeks, if not before.

Cheers

Dave

Please check your spam box, but yes, if you've reserved one successfully then you should get a confirmation e mail.

No there are a few left but not many, and I expect them to sell completely out once the second deco breaks cover in a few weeks, if not before.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the quick reply Dave.

I have made a second attempt at ordering, with a note to the effect I only want one.

Will wait and see with baited breath.....

Regards

Keith

Thanks for the quick reply Dave.

I have made a second attempt at ordering, with a note to the effect I only want one.

Will wait and see with baited breath.....

Regards

Keith

Hi Keith,

Your order came through ok. Did you get the confirmation?

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

The locomotive was saved by its acquisition by NCB Cadley Hill Colliery's manager with the loco remaining at Cadley Hill in Leicestershire until the end of steam there in 1981.

Andy.

Just read through the opening post. I always thought NCB Cadley Hill was the one near to Swadlicote, close to the A444, part of the South Derbyshire Coalfields or is there another Cadley Hill  in Leicestershire?

PS any plans to do a weathered version or is that up to us? I can remember it working there looking as per your opening image.