RMweb commission Hunslet 'Austerity' through DJModels

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I'd only seen the other side so the only difference as Nigel says is the ladder on the tank plus a maker's plate for the bunker. What colour was 3883?

I'm not sure yet. A photo on the cover of the Dynamometer car booklet suggests blue, but my vaugue memory is that it might have been grey. Quite a light shade anyway judging by bw photos.

Thanks

Dave

Who are you calling old, young whippersnapper! :blackeye:

Funnily enough, I saw the livery 'and thought of you'.  I'm afraid the underfeed stoker chimney is a curve too much for me, as it curves the wrong way.  Austerities are supposed to be blue, Laura should agree, IIRC her preferred choice in hair colour...... :spruceup:

(to innocent bystanders - Matt and myself are great 'e-pals', it's not a trolling spat!).

S'got wasp stripes and everything! I've been very tempted with this, but I think I've decided that, since I've no use for a 70's Austerity on my 00 layout, I may well get an 0 gauge one instead which can be useless in a manner that will look much better on the mantlepiece. I might change my mind yet though... Mind you, if we're going with Austerities to match Laura's hair I need a red one currently; would end up with quite a fleet though! Have a blue one, Hornby LMR ;)

Anywhichway- well done to both RMWeb (well, Andy!) and Dave for putting this cunning plan together- regardless of if I buy one or not, I'm really looking forward to seeing the outcome :)

• Like 1

With their rather special-spoked wheels, there will be no chance of P4-ing this. Might it be possible for the 00 wheel to be designed in such a way that its tyre can be knocked off without too much problem and a replacement P4-profile tyre substituted?

And needless to say, no 2.14mm axles please...

(Am just trying to think ahead for the likes of Brassmasters (no connection) who might fancy doing an easi-chass conversion.)

There is a finescale version of the wheels available for re-gauging, I believe the EMGS supply them as part of a conversion kit.

The yellow's OK though.....it's just that chimney.

Strictly speaking what you see isn't the chimney, rather it is a separate fibreglass cowl over the top of the Kylpor diffuser. Without the cowl they look far worse in my opinion, as evidenced by 75254 at Boness http://www.flickr.com/photos/14581588@N05/6152783119/

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick query, since the NCB came into existence around the same time as British Railways what timescale does the little yellow beastie sit? If it's not right for 1958 then I may be forced into a second period for Summat Colliery with blue diesels and 20 ton hoppers! The Hatton's 14 might even get a go :lol:

• Like 2

Just a quick query, since the NCB came into existence around the same time as British Railways what timescale does the little yellow beastie sit? If it's not right for 1958 then I may be forced into a second period for Summat Colliery with blue diesels and 20 ton hoppers! The Hatton's 14 might even get a go :lol:

3889 was built in 1964 and received its yellow livery in 1971, so well outside your 1958 time frame unfortunately, but ideal for the blue period :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

Funny you should say that... Hattons have the 14s on offer at the moment, 75 notes for the British Steel weathered green one. I bought one yesterday for Ravens

Andi

It was at Cadley Hill in 1983, so yes, BR blue all the way. I'm delighted that this is being offered as my nascent layout is firmly Leics/Derbys colliery as I used to work at Snibston. Order firmly placed!

IIRC, although it was at Cadley Hill in 1983 it never actually worked at the colliery. I can't remember whether it was brought in with the idea of repairing it for service but it was then discovered to require more repairs than were feasible at the time or it was destined to be used as spares for Cadley Hill No1.

Thanks Nigel, you're indeed right. I'll just pretend on the model it got mended...I recall it was brought in from Manvers Main to be used at Cadley as folks thought being quite young, it'd be ok, but they reckoned without the life it had led.

Certainly it lost a lot of its motion to another Austerity whilst at CH. Can't recall if that was Swiftsure or Cadley Hill No.1.

Incidentally, No.1 although being a 1962 engine has a much older boiler on it these days, from another donor brought in during the 1970s to CH.

Edited by Sir Hadyn

I'm going to have to buy one, not because it fits any project that I'm either working on or have in mind, but because the prototype was built in the same year that I was born. And it's a little strange to think that when I was travelling on an HST in my teens, 3889 was still chuffing around some NCB sidings in working service.

• 2 weeks later...

Afraid not, 65 is in bits at the Flour Mill and its boiler is currently carried by Sapper at the East Lancs.

Lord Phil is/was Hunslet 2868 of 1943, rebuilt as Hunslet 3883 of 1963 as the trial gas producer/underfeed stoker Austerity formerly known as Coal Products No.6 - we have the stoker from it in the NRM collection.

Afraid not, 65 is in bits at the Flour Mill and its boiler is currently carried by Sapper at the East Lancs.

Lord Phil is/was Hunslet 2868 of 1943, rebuilt as Hunslet 3883 of 1963 as the trial gas producer/underfeed stoker Austerity formerly known as Coal Products No.6 - we have the stoker from it in the NRM collection.

Ooops sorry about that  !

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes! A major point of the 'look', the wheels have really flared spokes too.

I noticed that one of the DJ Models versions had parallel balance weights (I think). Were some different?

Edited as it looked like i hadn't read the previous response.

Edited by Grasslands

• 1 year later...