Blimey, the 45xx and wagons look superb with the weathering powders! I've only done a couple of wagons and a PMV with the Humbrol Powders so far, just not had the bottle do weather a loco for fear of screwing it up. When I do I may well weather-up my old Bachmann Std 4 tender loco first rather than do any of the more modern expensive Hornby/Bachmann models so I just to get the hang of it more and hopefully get the effects right.

Thanks David! Glad you like them! I was a bit nervous at first, but once I got started it was fine! The powders are quite easy to correct if you add to much. Yes, I would highly recommend using a older loco. The 45xx one was non runner donated when I bought it from my local shop Signals Models at Midsomer Norton, I gave her back and gave me a full refund. When I asked for a old second hand loco to have a go on they said use the 45xx. Once I weathered her and gave her a quick once over she sprung to life and runs a dream! So will be giving the money back to Signals and purchasing her back again! LOL! :jester:

LOL! No worries mate! Must just be me! :jester:

My current, and the other one both have a slightly floppy lubricator rod, therefore, I think it must be by design!  :dontknow:

fantastic weathering, once i get my layouts electrics and scenery sorted. I hope to do some myself.

Thanks Andy! Glad you like my work! Just about to upload some pics of the latest! Just finished yesterday! :locomotive: Hope your weather goes well when you get started too! :paint:

Nice, any chance of a summary of how you tackled the QM pls?  Nicely restrained.

Thanks mate! It was very simple, just Humbrol Smoke and Earth powdered, dry brushed on, then seal with a quick spray of matt varnish. Earth powder on the chassis and smoke powder on the main body and roof. I painted the wheels with Humbrol 29 and then gave them a black wash to dull them down. Hope this helps. :mail:

Who are you weathering them for? Superb job on the brake van, I'll have to get you to do some of my wagons.

Thanks Will! I am weathering this fleet for a local man. He apparently has a massive layout and said I can visit it to have a look one day! :locomotive: No problem mate! I do them for you, to join you Cattle Van! :jester:

Started work on the Bachmann Super D today. Followed photographs, as these locos where famous for getting dirty/rusty. :locomotive:  So I went for a Very Heavy look, but due to the certainly powders not looking right I left it at Heavy. All the powders are on and just a few finishing touches to add tomorrow, which included water leaks and the oil/grease build-up in the middle of the buffers. Sadly with the light and a camera which is not very good at taking close up the images are not the best and the model look better in the flesh. Please tell me what you think, as I am unsure with this one. :scratchhead: 

post-20663-0-44253800-1386692461_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-52497400-1386692470_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-76444000-1386692477_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-26480700-1386692486_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-17584500-1386692495_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-57857700-1386692503_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-63103700-1386692511_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-80063800-1386692536_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-70239100-1386692552_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-09140100-1386692560_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-41871900-1386692578_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-85036900-1386692596_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-45042600-1386692714_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Superb effects, is there any chance please you can do a video to show how you apply the various stages of the powdering and techniques when you do your next loco?

I would love too, but I tend to get very distracted when doing tutorials. :jester:  As you can guess I would not like to mess up a loco! Might do in the future though.If you are looking for a help video check out the Humbrol Tutorial, it is where I got some tips from. :mail:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice.  I would leave it there unless you're really sure what you're doing next, as it's quite easy to overdo the last stages.  Although some of them really were disgusting, a lot of pics seem to show them like this ie unloved and not terribly well cared for, but not abused.

Don't forget the coal and some crew if you have them.  The weathering shows up the awful 'coal' on this model, especially as there's so much open tender space!

• RMweb Premium

Coming along but can I suggest you revisit the buffer beams as these are too clean. (they seem to gather dirt on most locos and the Super D is no exception).

The colour shots I have show a reasonably clean cab side number surrounded by dirt and grime.

I did the attached for Mike Delamar from a shot in the LM locos in colour book..

post-7650-0-37296900-1386702219.jpg

edited for spelling

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1

Thanks mate! Glad you like it! Nope, I don't plan to go too over the top, just some dirt on the buffers and a few water leaks on the running plate. I would lobe to add real coal and a crew, but sadly this loco (along with Queen Mary an the wagons that will be on here soon)are not mine, I am weathering them for a friend! Would love to though! :locomotive:

Thanks Barry! Totally agree with you, but am having trouble getting the powders to stick to the buffer beam. :scratchhead:I plan to add more any other paint or powder you recommend? I gave the Super D a good overall covering, as the friend I am weathering it for said he us to see them as a kid. He mentioned the had trouble getting the numbers as they where so dirty! :jester: