• RMweb Gold

It never ceases to amaze me just how talented some of you guys are when it comes to weathering

it’s one of those things that’s either done right or done wrong

Weathering has always been one of those things I’ve never been brave enough to try

I’ve got some wagons that I’d like weathered but I think I’ll leave it to the professionals and let TMC loose on them

It never ceases to amaze me just how talented some of you guys are when it comes to weathering

Weathering has always been one of those things I’ve never been brave enough to try

I’ve got some wagons that I’d like weathered but I think I’ll leave it to the professionals and let TMC loose on them

Thanks ever so much. 

I think it's just a case of having a go on some old or cheap stock, and keep on having ago. I was so afraid to start at first, but after a few goes, I started to get the hang of things :) Really is well worth a try 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks ever so much. 

I think it's just a case of having a go on some old or cheap stock, and keep on having ago. I was so afraid to start at first, but after a few goes, I started to get the hang of things :) Really is well worth a try

I appreciate the encouragement but I’m still considering ‘cheating’ and sending them off to TMC

Plus I don’t have an airbrush, I’ve had a go with weathering powders in the past but I tend to over do it

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I appreciate the encouragement but I’m still considering ‘cheating’ and sending them off to TMC

Plus I don’t have an airbrush, I’ve had a go with weathering powders in the past but I tend to over do it

I agree with Callum, practice on old stock first. I don't use an airbrush, just powders and occasional squirt of acrylic aerosol paint.

With apologies in advance to Callum for the hijack, here's one of mine.

Rob.

post-14122-0-54086900-1530654357_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Callum, practice on old stock first. I don't use an airbrush, just powders and occasional squirt of acrylic aerosol paint.

With apologies in advance to Callum for the hijack, here's one of mine.

Rob.

That looks great! Maybe I’ll have to have another try

Chris

• Like 1

That looks great! Maybe I’ll have to have another try

Chris

No worries Chirs. If it's of any help I've never used an airbrush ;) All done with powders and washes, all applied by bush :) 

post-24-0-69450100-1530688741_thumb.jpg

That was done using just powders sealed with Matt spray varnish and worked with a glass fire brush, techniques recommended by NHY 581. Try on some old stuff, you dont have to weather nearly as much as you think. Give it a go.

Sorry, I dont mean to hijack your thread SDJR7F88.

Really like your weathering and you tube stuff, found it very inspirational. At one time I used to think you need an airbrush to weather, and I do own one but you can get fantastic effects using other ways.

Steve.

• Like 2

May I ask what weathering powers you use?

Humbrol I find the best, they are easy to find in most model shops and online, plus if used well, last years.

attachicon.gif30710836_10216945740782716_8062960392751546368_n.jpg

That was done using just powders sealed with Matt spray varnish and worked with a glass fire brush, techniques recommended by NHY 581. Try on some old stuff, you dont have to weather nearly as much as you think. Give it a go.

Sorry, I dont mean to hijack your thread SDJR7F88.

Really like your weathering and you tube stuff, found it very inspirational. At one time I used to think you need an airbrush to weather, and I do own one but you can get fantastic effects using other ways.

Steve.

Tell me, how did you achieve that Peeled Paint and Wood effect? Look superb! 

Humbrol I find the best, they are easy to find in most model shops and online, plus if used well, last years.

Tell me, how did you achieve that Peeled Paint and Wood effect? Look superb! 

Thank you. I sprayed the van with matt varnish and once that had dried applied the powders, which were Humbrol Weathering powders, I put on more than needed really then sealed them with matt varnish and once that had dried I gently used a 2mm fibrglass brush and removed what I wanted, working along the length of the planks. I think the peeling effect comes from removing the varnish as well. It was a method recommended by NHY 581.

Hope that helps.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

The beauty of the technique described by Steve is the variation in tone possible.

Heres a van or two. (Last hijack....honest!!)

Rob.

post-14122-0-61506300-1530730063.jpg

post-14122-0-58170700-1530730424_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-07701000-1530730488.jpg

• Like 3

A short Slide Show, taking a look at some of my recent weathering projects. In this addition, we take a look at the Minitrains Baldwin 2-6-2T, which has been brush weathered using a mixture of Acrylic Washes. More videos of the progress on the weathering of my 009 Scale WW1 Trench Railway Rolling Stock coming soon. Let me know what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH6ZV6j2nfc

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The scrubbed worn planking effect can also be achieved by using cheap emery boards(funny how many my wife looses). I cut a plank width and go with the grain using the rough side , the tip will clog  quickly but just trim down. To get into those angled corners just trim the end at an angle. This works best after the model has been over weathered, also no horrible fibres .

20181124_151548-1.jpg

A 7mm Dapol, but technique works just as well in 4mm.

Edited by w124bob
link added
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

A short Slide Show, taking a look at some of my recent weathering projects.
In this addition, we take a look at my second Minitrains Brigadelok 0-8-0T, which have been brush weathered using a mixture of Acrylic Washes. I've gone for an all over oily look, based on images of the real locomotive and tenders in service.
Hope you enjoy! 
https://youtu.be/vAaer1LvO9g

2019-05-13_20-50-21.jpg

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Wrenn said:

Hi Callum can I say your weathering techniques are splendid, especially only using paints and powders. 

I don't have use of an airbrush so like you it will be done by hand as I plan to start weathering up some wagons.:D

Jumping into Callums thread, I don't possess an airbrush either. Just take your time and not worry if it goes wrong. That said, practicing on older models first is recommended. 

This is a Bachmann 16t mineral wagon. 

20201105_145830-01.jpeg.2af51c799f7ee10a4475682334aa6a45.jpeg

These are a couple of views of Minerva models 5 plank wagon. 

20201124_204349-01.jpeg.a8007cf666c15c091e41a1b89ac19a49.jpeg

20201124_203125-01.jpeg.051a0938e76470ba19be192b874a5f49.jpeg

And this is piece of Wills planked building sheets. 

20210213_085002-01.jpeg.2c450e28aa8cf4a06eb6f3a93b758dfa.jpeg

All done using minimal amounts of paint with weathering powders sealed with varnish and distressed using a fibre brush. It takes time but its doable. Just practice. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1