Excellent work, great variation in tones

Thanks Will! Glad you like them! Just picked up the other 6 this morning. The work continues... :jester:

Absolutely stunning, really smart work my friend :declare:

Sean

Thanks Sean! Glad you like them! Just got the other 6 wagons for the commission this morning. The work continues... :jester:

• 3 weeks later...

Work is nearly complete on the next 6 wagons for the latest commission. These will join the other 5 Bachmann Slope Sided 16 Ton Mineral wagons all ready seen, which will all going to America!  :locomotive: Just the final few touch to add to all 11 and then they will be ready! Sorry about the poor quality of pictures today, not sure if I will get around to taking some photos in the sun shine before they go, but I do plan to get some shots, plus footage of them on the layout though, as the owner wants to do a layout to layout service (YouTube Style) with them!  :jester:  Hope you like!

post-20663-0-53301000-1405961724_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-32744200-1405961731_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-02760000-1405961739_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-60825000-1405961746_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-99913300-1405961753_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-37853400-1405961759_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-17123700-1405961767_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Superb work

Thanks mate! Not long now until the big trip for them! :sungum:

Great work mate! I love how they all look different! :)

Thanks mate! Got to get them just like the real thing! Not long until their big trip to the US! :sungum:  :locomotive:

More great work, sorry I haven't got much time for youtube at the moment

No worries mate. Glad you like them. Been to lots of gala's mostly, got two at the weekend :jester:  But have also visited a few other Youtuber's layout's the latest being the M&CR owned by MACRweb (Gavin), what an amazing layout!  :locomotive:

Hello SDJR7F88,

I have looked through the entire thread and I have to say I'm quite impressed by what you have been able to achieve with just the weathering powders.

I'd like to ask a question or few, I've just had a set of the humbrol weathering powders delivered today and I attempted some weathering on my Ivatt 4MT Flying Pig. What I noticed was a few issues, sometimes the powder wouldn't go onto the model and would just crumble and other times it would dust and smudge straight away and actually start to look dusty and weathered. Its as though it wasn't really sticking, but was fine on other parts of the loco like the boiler lower area but upper along the top went odd.

So I guess my question is do you treat the rolling stocks beforehand to make the powders stick better i.e do you matt  varnish it or do something with the locos/wagons in general. Also is there a specific brush type which works better with the powders? I've had 3 types of brush which were for basecoating, drybrushing and priming from games workshop (there old brushes from 8-9years ago) the drybrushing and priming brush didn't work well with the powders but the basecoating one did. So is a matter of having a softer brush or specific type for powders?

Also have you done any super heavy weathering with layering e.g. apply powder -> varnish rinse and repeat to lining/emblems dissapear?

This is the result I finally got with the Ivatt after about 2 and half hours, annoyingly the soot effect doesn't show to well on the upper parts and it kinda still looks plastic.

YVAigT8.jpg

Edited by Crumplezone
  • Like 1

Hello SDJR7F88,

I have looked through the entire thread and I have to say I'm quite impressed by what you have been able to achieve with just the weathering powders.

I'd like to ask a question or few, I've just had a set of the humbrol weathering powders delivered today and I attempted some weathering on my Ivatt 4MT Flying Pig. What I noticed was a few issues, sometimes the powder wouldn't go onto the model and would just crumble and other times it would dust and smudge straight away and actually start to look dusty and weathered. Its as though it wasn't really sticking, but was fine on other parts of the loco like the boiler lower area but upper along the top went odd.

So I guess my question is do you treat the rolling stocks beforehand to make the powders stick better i.e do you matt  varnish it or do something with the locos/wagons in general. Also is there a specific brush type which works better with the powders? I've had 3 types of brush which were for basecoating, drybrushing and priming from games workshop (there old brushes from 8-9years ago) the drybrushing and priming brush didn't work well with the powders but the basecoating one did. So is a matter of having a softer brush or specific type for powders?

Also have you done any super heavy weathering with layering e.g. apply powder -> varnish rinse and repeat to lining/emblems dissapear?

This is the result I finally got with the Ivatt after about 2 and half hours, annoyingly the soot effect doesn't show to well on the upper parts and it kinda still looks plastic.

Thanks you ever so much and glad you like my work! When weathering a loco I tend to put the powders straight onto the model, but as you have found out they are a right pain and can vary from model too model. I tend to get one lair on, then give it a spray of Humbrol 49 Matt Varnish in a can and then give the model another going over (this work great for keeping the soot on the top). Plus I tend to go all over lightly with the soot too, as it would of got every where :jester: .Once complete I then give the model and all over spray to keep everything in place. 

As for the brushes, I use some basic ones I picked up from the Range. They are not to hard and not to soft. In 50/50 in the middle is best. They come in a purple packet, will post a picture when I find them.  :declare:  Hope this was of help and keep up the great work! 

post-20663-0-70076400-1398792187_thumb.jpg
post-20663-0-70076400-1398792187_thumb.jpg
  • Like 2

Thank you for the reply, its most helpful to get a idea from a more experienced weathering user who has used the humbrol range before and I'm also somewhat glad its not a mistaken on my part that the powders weren't applying but merely its down to the locomotive in questions finish.

I know, probably throwing money, but I've got some humbrol stipple brushes coming in the post with some of there coloro ones to, both are packs giving a wide selection and I'm going to see if they are more helpful towards powder application on the models as they are both mostly noted as weathering powder usable and the coloro ones are featured in Humbrol's weathering videos which I find quite useful to.

I have a Hornby Q1 to tackle next on the weathering workshop and I've been supplied with about 6 colour images of working but dirty Q1s and provided with the useful information that they primed quite frequently causing water mixed with soot to spill over the sides of the chimney and cause a dirty white effect. It also seems from the photos that the Q1s were more likely to be grey-ish dirt look rather than the atypical brownish grime so I'm going to have to see if I can achieve that with a mix of smoke powder + white powder.

Anyway those are two lovely shots of the 70018 and really show what a incredible job can be achieved just from weathering powders and not requiring the usage of a airbrush to create a realistic finish. Hope to see more of your creations soon.

Thank you for the reply, its most helpful to get a idea from a more experienced weathering user who has used the humbrol range before and I'm also somewhat glad its not a mistaken on my part that the powders weren't applying but merely its down to the locomotive in questions finish.

I know, probably throwing money, but I've got some humbrol stipple brushes coming in the post with some of there coloro ones to, both are packs giving a wide selection and I'm going to see if they are more helpful towards powder application on the models as they are both mostly noted as weathering powder usable and the coloro ones are featured in Humbrol's weathering videos which I find quite useful to.

I have a Hornby Q1 to tackle next on the weathering workshop and I've been supplied with about 6 colour images of working but dirty Q1s and provided with the useful information that they primed quite frequently causing water mixed with soot to spill over the sides of the chimney and cause a dirty white effect. It also seems from the photos that the Q1s were more likely to be grey-ish dirt look rather than the atypical brownish grime so I'm going to have to see if I can achieve that with a mix of smoke powder + white powder.

Anyway those are two lovely shots of the 70018 and really show what a incredible job can be achieved just from weathering powders and not requiring the usage of a airbrush to create a realistic finish. Hope to see more of your creations soon.

Thanks again mate! Yes, I have some of those Brushes too. They are great too, just the right type. Looking forward to seeing you work on the Q1 too!  :locomotive:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It also seems from the photos that the Q1s were more likely to be grey-ish dirt look rather than the atypical brownish grime so I'm going to have to see if I can achieve that with a mix of smoke powder + white powder.

Crumplezone, brownish grime is not "atypical"   it depends on when your are depicting your loco and in what area. The colour photos help but there are few available from the early 1950s..

Baz

Well a very late video weathering indeed. This one should of gone up months ago when I finished the Commission (about 4 months now) , but never got around to it. Better late than never though! 
The loco featured is a Hornby Tender Drive Britannia Class, 70081 'Flying Dutchman'. Feel this is my best weathered loco to date! Especially around the cylinder area. As always all done with Humbrol Weathering powders and spray can Matt Varnish to hold it all in place. Please tell me what you think and hope you enjoy! 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6aya8kbwFI

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Some videos of the latest batch of weathering in action! This time in the form of a layout to layout service to their detestation in the US! :yahoo: 

On August 28th 1964, Ex GWR 45xx, '4545' departs from Templeton Yard with a mineral wagon service to Farland. The rake of 11 well used BR Slope-Sided 16 Ton Mineral Wagons are being transferred to Farland for use at nearby collieries in the area. '4545' will be taking the services as far as Upton Goods Yard, where another loco will take over and carry onto Farland. 

These Bachmann Slope-Sided 16 Ton Mineral Wagons were specially commissioned by Rob personally and hand weathered by me, for use on British 00 gauge layout Farland, in the US! :locomotive:

Hope you enjoy this video of the wagons being transferred from my layout and be sure to click on the link at the end to see the wagons arriving at the destination in Farland. Hope you enjoy! :sungum:

Hope these links show up as screen shots, as all the latest videos I seem to post on hear just come up as links. If they do any idea on how to sort this? :scratchhead:

My video (Departing)

Rob's video (Arriving)

• Like 1