• RMweb Gold

Definitely. I have a vivid memories of standing on the north end of the down platform at Leicester one evening with a late friend of mine who had spent his working life working on big diesel engines as an electrician. Our wives were at a Cliff Richard concert so I took him out trainspotting. The howl as the 2nd Valenta of each northbound HST went past us on full chat, had us both in raptures. Mick also gave me a health diagnosis of each idling one from the sound alone. Happy days.

Jamie

I well remember standing at the door window behind the lead power car of a WR HST leaving Swindon one warm summer evening in July 1986, listening to the turbochargers go supersonic as we left. Yes, a Valenta on full bore was a good sound, though they were referred to as sounding like turbocharged bacon slicers when they first appeared! But I suppose if you're used to Napier or EE music they would have taken a bit of getting used to.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I've just been shown a photo on Facebook of a Class 387 at Swindon last night, presumably a test run as I'm not sure if Cocklebury sidings are ready for stabling use just yet?

Regards,

Simon

Yes, I knew it was live, but the last time I went there (before Christmas though and a lot has probably happened since then), there seemed to be still a lot of track works going on and pouring concrete walkways...

From what I've seen it's going to Handpoints with no change to the signalling (this is from observation of the works being carried out), presumably a GWR shunter (person, not loco) will be stationed there?

Simon

Last 387s to utilise Maidenhead Carriage Sidings left there Wednesday morning. First use of Cocklebury was Wednesday evening (3x 8 car & 1x 12 car). There will be a GWR PiC (Person in Charge) there to deal with the units, point pulling and allow access to the freight trains as and when required. Edited by Banger Blue

• RMweb Gold

I saw a couple of 2x 800s today at Westerleigh junction as I drove past, all units with pans up.

I'm travelling to London soon, taking the wife to see a show, so will look forward to the smooth ride under the juice.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

I saw a couple of 2x 800s today at Westerleigh junction as I drove past, all units with pans up.

I'm travelling to London soon, taking the wife to see a show, so will look forward to the smooth ride under the juice.

Neil

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high on the smooth bit!

Now the question is, which way were they going? If they were going towards Gloucester, they have to put their pans down fairly sharpish as they go around the corner!

Simon

Now the question is, which way were they going? If they were going towards Gloucester, they have to put their pans down fairly sharpish as they go around the corner!

Simon

They'd find out fast enough when it goes quiet and the line live light has gone out.

Jim

Simon

How many IETS are booked route towards Gloucester at Westerleigh jn?

How many IETS are booked route towards Gloucester at Westerleigh jn?

I can find one ECS at 05.19 to Cheltenham

Hi,

When doing our APCO design for Westerleigh we couldn't find any passenger workings and only the one ECS working found by '40F'

We think there might be another (ECS) in the other direction in the future though.

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Simon

They were both east and westbound on the London line. The OHLE ends abruptly in Yate just after the overbridge on the old LMS line, so I can see what you mean!

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

The riding definitely feels better (to me at any rate) if there's an engine hanging underneath the vehicle - suspension seems to be tuned for that extra bit of weight (if it's tuned to anything at all?)

They we both east and westbound on the London line. The OHLE ends abruptly in Yate just after the overbridge on the old LMS line, so I can see what you mean!

Neil

That's one heck of a long run off by the sound of it. Mind you always. benefit if the line is wired under the overbridge although i wouldn't have expected autolower to kick in well before a unit got that far.

That's one heck of a long run off by the sound of it. Mind you always. benefit if the line is wired under the overbridge although i wouldn't have expected autolower to kick in well before a unit got that far.

Hi Mike,

The run off is about 3/4 of a mile around the corner.

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Well in December I took my first ride on a 800 to London for two consecutive days doing a bit of lecturing. I liked them, but not as much as the HSTs, I assume that without the diesel they will be smoother.

I'll always board the unit closest to old Oak in the future, the first one gets packed with late boarders.

Neil

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

SWMBO and I made use of our newly-purchased Senior Rail Cards and did a day trip out from Yatton to Swansea. Outbound on a 166 to Newport and a 2-car 170 from Newport to Swansea.

Had a good squint at the overhead between the Stoke Gifford complex and the Severn Tunnel, which seemed to be all present and correct, but when we emerged into the light on the Welsh side, lots of masts and portals, some fitted with the catenary fittings but swung out the way, but apparently no wires whatsoever.

Back from Swansea to Bristol Parkway on my first experince of a 2x 5-car 802 rake, from my previous trips on 800s the 802s seem to be less frantic and quieter on diesel. At Bristol Parkway changed to a 165 for the trip back to Yatton. There was a 2x 5-car 800 rake which came in down from London direction 'on the juice' and changed to diesel, the ex-Swansea 802s departed up on diesel.

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Premium

Every time I drive over the flyover over the railway near Pengam or walk over the bridges in Splott I look at the current state of proceedings. For a while now the eastern approach to Cardiff has looked like an excellent justification for those modelling their OHLE without wires.

Simon

• Like 2

First trip today from Newport to Swindon for our regional conference. 9 car set each way. Coach A towards London and G back towards Cardiff. So quiet one way and more noisy on the return. Seats as has been said are hard but overall impression is good. Passengers like the power points for computers etc.

Our conference was held in Steam with Caerphilly Castle as the backdrop to lunch. Conference room had nameplates and signs on the walls. Recommended.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

SWMBO and I made use of our newly-purchased Senior Rail Cards and did a day trip out from Yatton to Swansea. Outbound on a 166 to Newport and a 2-car 170 from Newport to Swansea.

Had a good squint at the overhead between the Stoke Gifford complex and the Severn Tunnel, which seemed to be all present and correct, but when we emerged into the light on the Welsh side, lots of masts and portals, some fitted with the catenary fittings but swung out the way, but apparently no wires whatsoever.

Back from Swansea to Bristol Parkway on my first experince of a 2x 5-car 802 rake, from my previous trips on 800s the 802s seem to be less frantic and quieter on diesel. At Bristol Parkway changed to a 165 for the trip back to Yatton. There was a 2x 5-car 800 rake which came in down from London direction 'on the juice' and changed to diesel, the ex-Swansea 802s departed up on diesel.

Wiring certainly looks complete on the approach to Patchway Tunnels as I went on my lunchtime run today. Wires as far as the tunnels at least, though can't say whether they go through. Back in early Dec there were no wires there, just structures and registration arms.

Edited 18/01 to add a few photos.

Personally, I don't see what the fuss over the newer style of OHL is about. I don't think it disfigures the railway, I think it enhances it.

I like the look of the structures striding purposefully into the distance.

post-5674-0-86665800-1547805523_thumb.jpg

post-5674-0-19346100-1547805627_thumb.jpg

post-5674-0-70690800-1547805669_thumb.jpg

post-5674-0-97325300-1547805712_thumb.jpg

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 2

Personally, I don't see what the fuss over the newer style of OHL is about. I don't think it disfigures the railway, I think it enhances it.

I like the look of the structures striding purposefully into the distance.

First time I've seen a shot from Patchway with the OHL in place - that looks a LOT less obtrusive than what is in place in the Thames Valley and from Didcot to Swindon

• RMweb Premium

As far as I know the tunnels have their overhead conductors in place and have had for well over a year. They have a solid rail system rather than wires though. I did hear somewhere that the conductor bar is having to have a good clean before it can be used.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Gold

As far as I know the tunnels have their overhead conductors in place and have had for well over a year. They have a solid rail system rather than wires though. I did hear somewhere that the conductor bar is having to have a good clean before it can be used.

Jamie

Sure I've got an old track cleaning rubber somewhere..... I'll dig it out and offer NR my help!

• Like 2

They have a solid rail system rather than wires though. I did hear somewhere that the conductor bar is having to have a good clean before it can be used.

Jamie

Hi,

From the images I've seen (although admitted I can't seem to find them now), it's not a solid bar it is actually an upside down U-channel shape aluminium profile with the cooper contact wire held with in, although it does look like a solid bar.

Simon

Hi,

From the images I've seen (although admitted I can't seem to find them now), it's not a solid bar it is actually an upside down U-channel shape aluminium profile with the cooper contact wire held with in, although it does look like a solid bar.

Simon

Hi,

I took Jamie's comment to mean a solidly attached rail as supposed to a suspended metal conductor.

Anyway I think they used most of the metal up other parts of the GWML electrification project :no:.

Regards

Nick

• Like 1