truffy

I enquired about Metalsmith's 4mm turntable kits as only the 60' is currently shown as available. Had this reply from Dave Smith:

We are in the middle of a premises move at the moment, and design & production of turntables in all scales will be concentrated at the new workshop. The existing factory unit will continue in operation, solely for machining of the heavy stuff, until March/April next when the lease expires, and that side of the business closes.

We had hoped that the 42/50ft kits would be ready for Christmas, but it now looks as if it will be early into the New Year before all components are ready.

Sorry to keep you (and others) waiting further, but I'm afraid that manufacturing the kits and managing the move and subsequent equipping of the new workshop single-handedly, have resulted in serious delays to the intended release schedule.

As soon as the new kits are available, an announcement will appear on our website.

Which is OK for me, since I'm still at the planning stage. But if you're interested, you now know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Great turntable kits, but only a small part of their business. Having waited almost a year for a GWR 66ft to be built (their external builder let them down) I took delivery of a kit and learnt how to build it. End result very pleasing and has given me confidence to try other etched kits.

Metalsmith make great products but suffer from "small business syndrome" in delivering against competing priorities. Well worth the wait and excellent British model making. Patience is a fabulous quality that we all need.

Hi,

Back in August I received a note from Dave Smith which included:

"I have received the test etches for the C&S vacuum turntable (in fact, I've had them for several weeks!) but have not yet had a chance to get a kit put together."

I've been waiting for a 4mm version of the 70ft diameter kit for quite a while and can only hope that it materialises eventually.

Stan

Great turntable kits, but only a small part of their business. Having waited almost a year for a GWR 66ft to be built (their external builder let them down) I took delivery of a kit and learnt how to build it. End result very pleasing and has given me confidence to try other etched kits.
Metalsmith make great products but suffer from "small business syndrome" in delivering against competing priorities. Well worth the wait and excellent British model making. Patience is a fabulous quality that we all need.

Archived