Troutons

enginelane

Many thanks to all who have visited this thread. When it was started in Nov 2013 we did not imagine the layout would sustain interest for so long and this week it has gone through 100,000 views. Thank you for continued support. Sadly the club learnt this week that the venue for the Wakefield 2021 Show is no longer available as they have cancelled all external bookings in 2021. this means Troutons planned last Show will have to amended. 

• Like 1

No, we had some interest but nothing came of them. Currently it is in store at the clubrooms. However secure building its successor - Bardun. Because of lockdowns etc it’s progress is Slow though the main cement loading buildings have been built.  The current plan is to use Troutons fiddle yard boards for Bardun and we are thinking about using some of Troutons  boards to speed up construction and reduce costs to the club. There will have been nonrevenue this year from members. The Helijan container crane is for sale and the proceeds from that will be returned to the club. It was originally purchased with money left from a former member who sadly died a number of years ago. I notice today York are still hoping to run their show in 2021. if that is the case then that might be it’s last show. It’s a Show the team have always wanted to do so would be a fitting show to bow out at - c.virus allowing of course 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sadly with the cancellation of York 2021 the final exhibition for Troutons will now not take place. The team are disappointed but fully understand the reasons behind the decision. The aim is have one last run in the clubrooms and then scrapped as due to the need to reduce costs of new layouts as much of Troutons will be the used on the new layout Bardun 

• Friendly/supportive 2

Stephen, I feel for you.

Troutons was one of my favourites on the circuit and I travelled far and wide to see it, the first time being to see your pipe carrying BTAs.

I for one will miss this one

Karl

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks, your comments much appreciated. Strange sometimes how bits of plastic, metal etc sometimes combine and the gelling of a team to create something that you always look forward to exhibiting. That is down greatly to the members of the team who built the boards, laid the track and installed the electrics on which everything else is built upon. Without that firm foundation you do not get reliable running and exhibiting becomes a chore. Had some great trips out with the team even when I did forget to pack the road vehicles! 

On 28/09/2020 at 16:59, enginelane said:

not liquid poly but plastic weld  

81CF9394-98B5-4580-BD9E-0B0ACA266CAF.jpeg

Superb wagon modelling. Where did you get the buffers from? 

I used to use Genesis kits for mine, but sadly they are not in business any more. Shame because their rectangle white metal buffers were £1.50 for four. So wish I had bought loads more and squirrelled them away. 

8 hours ago, Grizz said:

Superb wagon modelling. Where did you get the buffers from? 

I used to use Genesis kits for mine, but sadly they are not in business any more. Shame because their rectangle white metal buffers were £1.50 for four. So wish I had bought loads more and squirrelled them away. 

Hi the buffers are modified cast metal Class 60 buffers 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Reprieve for Troutons!  The Team have accepted a booking for the Manchester Show 11th and 12th December 2021. new venue  the Sugden Centre, M1 7HL. Manchester will be publishing more details in July. Keep an eye on their website.

regarding Wakefield planning has taken place for a show in 2021, looking in the autumn. However too early for a booking to be made at any of the possible venues but subject to covid etc are ready to go with Troutons due to make its last home exhibition good bye. The size and format of the Show will be determined by the venue.

• Like 6

• 9 months later...

Progress on Bardun has been very slow but in the meantime Chris has been working hard on new Loco models and liveries and he is taking his layout Burnroyd to Doncaster this coming weekend - 12 th and 13th February. One of the new models which is based upon a modified Class 56 body and chassis is a Class 69 in primer. Construction is a mixture of scratchbuilt parts, 3D items and modified parts from other locos.

841EBE1C-66B0-41EA-B499-6D9A90B516E3.jpeg

Edited by enginelane
Change in text
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, hammer73 said:

Andy if you are at Doncaster this weekend let me know I have some spare grilles I will let you have some as I will be operating my layout Burnroyd Works thi;k I’m at stand 53 

chris 

Chris thanks for the offer (I’m very keen). Sadly I won’t be at Doncaster though. Would be good to meet you and see your layout.

Have a great weekend operating.

Andy

With the clubrooms fully open once more then today will see the start of the tear down of Troutons and the salvaging of as many parts as possible. It was hoped to give it a last hurrah but it’s not be be. Thank you to all followed the thread and to those who have seen it at exhibitions. As a Team we have enjoyed building it and running the layout. Thank to the exhibition managers who booked it. 

Bardun is the name of the new layout which will be built to replace Troutons and although we have had to make changes to the original plans in order to try and future proof it for the years ahead we think it will give opportunity for mainline running with lots of other movements to keep viewers entertained. 

• Like 1