Another Planet project

I had recently purchased some sheets of Rowmark to try in my laser cutter and as ever thoughts turn to a test project to find out just what the stuff can do and how to make the best of it.

I have always had a soft spot for the little Planet 18Ton SCW class locos after owning and restoring one some years ago (now at Titley Junction) in the process of the restoration I acquired quite a few works drawings so these have formed the basis of the model so far.

While at the G1MRA AGM last weekend I came across a cheep little motor and gear box unit (2 axles wheels motor and gear box for £15) so who says G1 can't be cheep! they are not the best quality but will be fine for shuffling a few wagons around.

After getting home I checked and everything worked into the frames so you could say the Planets aligned and die was cast for a new project.

Everything so far has been laser cut from 1 & .75mm Rowmark with tabbed construction so everything is self aligning, and so far everything has gone together well.

The motor unit has been modified with 2 sprockets and a delrin chain to drive both axles.

Next job will be steps and sandboxes + brake gear.

Then as I only have a few dimensions of the cab and body it will need a trip with the camera and tape measure to get the details to finish it all off.

The finished loco will have on board batteries and radio controls... I hope it will all fit in the small bonnet as I want to fully detail the cab interior.

post-17012-0-14323300-1385154421_thumb.jpg

The photo is very much the project in the raw just as its been glued together with no finishing just to check the running gear out on the Midlands groups Stanley Junction layout tomorrow at Warley show before the public arrive.

I will add some more (better quality) photos and information as the project progresses.

The main UK agent is Trotec Laser in Washington Tyne and Wear, I am not sure if they are the sole UK importer but they are the only one listed on Rowmarks web site.

Its quite strange stuff although the laser makes very clean and quick work of it. The resulting smell is not pleasant something akin to cannabis.... I would have no idea what that would smell like but I am assured by my better half that's the smell.

Well not all wood is the same, MDF is quite constant but thin ply is a whole mine field full off issues some different makes can be like chalk and cheese for consistent cutting.

As things were winding down at the Warley show on Saturday the little loco did make out onto the main line, one thing it will need is a lot of weight, once we added a spare cylinder block and a few keys it quite happily ran round with a few wagons in tow,

post-17012-0-47095100-1385476461_thumb.jpg

one cruel statement was you needed a calender to time a lap....mission successful for a model industrial!

• 6 months later...

I have had a million and one other things on so I haven't made any progress on the little 18 Ton SCW class Planet, but today I had got fed up of everything else so got it out of its box.

post-17012-0-48843000-1403464072_thumb.jpg

A couple of hours of cad work and most of the main body is complete, I am going to make a plug and vacuum form the cab roof compressor housing and bonnet top.

Next challenge is to get the batteries and radio gear in to it.

I had recently purchased some sheets of Rowmark to try in my laser cutter and as ever thoughts turn to a test project to find out just what the stuff can do and how to make the best of it.

I have always had a soft spot for the little Planet 18Ton SCW class locos after owning and restoring one some years ago (now at Titley Junction) in the process of the restoration I acquired quite a few works drawings so these have formed the basis of the model so far.

While at the G1MRA AGM last weekend I came across a cheep little motor and gear box unit (2 axles wheels motor and gear box for £15) so who says G1 can't be cheep! they are not the best quality but will be fine for shuffling a few wagons around.

After getting home I checked and everything worked into the frames so you could say the Planets aligned and die was cast for a new project.

Everything so far has been laser cut from 1 & .75mm Rowmark with tabbed construction so everything is self aligning, and so far everything has gone together well.

The motor unit has been modified with 2 sprockets and a delrin chain to drive both axles.

Next job will be steps and sandboxes + brake gear.

Then as I only have a few dimensions of the cab and body it will need a trip with the camera and tape measure to get the details to finish it all off.

The finished loco will have on board batteries and radio controls... I hope it will all fit in the small bonnet as I want to fully detail the cab interior.

attachicon.gifdownload.jpg

The photo is very much the project in the raw just as its been glued together with no finishing just to check the running gear out on the Midlands groups Stanley Junction layout tomorrow at Warley show before the public arrive.

I will add some more (better quality) photos and information as the project progresses.

Hi Beatty

You mention having drawings. Is there any chance you would be prepared to let other modellers have them? I'm in the process of building a collection of small industrials, the rarer the better, for an industrial layout project and a Planet would go down well.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil

No problem with that at all, I just have a little bit more survey work to do on the full size loco before I will have completed them, all my models are in 10mm scale for Gauge 1 but through the joys of Cad they can soon be scaled into what ever is wanted.

Just ordered the battey pack and radio equipment today, more by luck than judgement I can actually get a 8xAAA pack in giving plenty of weight and running duration.

Hi Phil

No problem with that at all, I just have a little bit more survey work to do on the full size loco before I will have completed them, all my models are in 10mm scale for Gauge 1 but through the joys of Cad they can soon be scaled into what ever is wanted.

Just ordered the battey pack and radio equipment today, more by luck than judgement I can actually get a 8xAAA pack in giving plenty of weight and running duration.

Great news, Beatty, I'd be interested in the drawings in 4mm scale once you've got them ready, if you would be so kind.

If you want payment, expenses for posting etc. drop me a PM so we can make arrangements.

Phil

Well the radio control, battery pack etc all turned up today making a cheep project into a not so cheep one, I could have just had a receiver and speed controller to run with my existing 2.4GHz radio but I quite like the idea of a simple one knob hand held controller as I am not trying to pilot a 747.

post-17012-0-66907900-1403642918_thumb.jpg

Everything fitted including the 8AAA 950mAh NiMH low loss cells just it might just need a scale wagon strap to keep the bonnet in place, while i had a bit of time this evening I also fabricated the 'reliance' radiator so distinctive of these locos and started to add some of the cab interior.

post-17012-0-28528000-1403642942_thumb.jpg

The chassis and mechanism is very simple and crude but I felt that as a shunting loco she deserved being driven on both axles and so far has proved quite capable of shifting about 6 wagons with just a single AA cell, I don't think the plastic gears are up to too much heroics in the haulage stakes so will leave that to some of the bigger locos.

post-17012-0-99161700-1403642960_thumb.jpg

Jobs for tomorrow evening will hopefully be the fuel tank for the cab, handbrake stand and maybe the cab controls.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I like this a lot, it has the heft of the real loco & much better than the Plymouth conversion I did in 0 gauge, I'd like a copy of the drawing, too, please!

Dava

Just a quick update on what I have been up to over the weekend.

post-17012-0-26520500-1404106673_thumb.jpg

The vacuum forming plugs were made up and after a couple of attempts with a few minor adjustments the bonnet top has been formed and attached to its sub frame that allows it to be removed as required.

it only now needs the joint strips adding to each side then around the cab to complete the main body work.

post-17012-0-89658700-1404106698_thumb.jpg

The semi rotary pump has been fabricated and fitted to the back of the cab.

post-17012-0-45107600-1404106719_thumb.jpg

Cab interior is finished and a driver added... a bit more weight as he is white metal. So far the loco weighs 365g so will want a bit more ballast adding.

Time to dig the lathe out tonight to make a chimney and the buffers, the works drawings I have show oval heads but I am going with the 2' diameter round heads that many carried, i think they are far more typical of industrial locos.

As the other half was late home tonight I had a crafty couple of hours in the workshop after work.

post-17012-0-23254400-1404152203_thumb.jpg

Bonnet joint strips are fitted as are the ones around the cab and the cab roof is fitted.

Hopefully I can get the radiator brackets made and fitted tonight and other than two tail lamps a chimney an horn (all turning jobs) that is everything about the footplate finished.

If anyone has a CAD viewer I can Email over a copy of the drawings I have done to date, there are a few things I am not sure from when I surveyed the actual loco but these are nearly all below the footplate.

CAD views are quite easy to find as a free download and you can print from them.

Andy

I should start by saying that my photos are not the best quality, unfortunately I am reliant on my now aging smart phone.

Buffers and chimney are now done and some paint has started going on.

post-17012-0-44217800-1404366603_thumb.jpg

just to give an idea of size I put the little planet next to my Super 'D'

post-17012-0-64222300-1404366618_thumb.jpg

I will fit the chimney tonight and hopefully put a final top coat of the main body green.

Well this little project is almost at an end, just a bit of painting to tidy up, and resolve any issues after running trials tomorrow.

post-17012-0-22932300-1404588858_thumb.jpg

I spent today adding the details below the footplate, so now its just a case of counting the cost, all up I have have spent £124.50 ish and have a nice little G1 shunting loco with onboard batteries and 2.4 Ghz radio control.

I will hopefully get some images out on the line tomorrow, and will I tidy up the drawings for those who have requested copies.

Andy

Well the Planet has made it out on the main line, and around the yard.

Things I have found is that the light weight is not too much of an issue she will quite happily cope with 8 wagons and do lap after lap.

The nylon worm wheel slipped on the a axle but a small clamp made up with a couple of 8BA screws soon solved that issue.

The Delrin chain and sprockets are more than up to the job of a Gauge 1 loco to couple the axles, however the nylon worm is not and after half an hour running its far from well, so the last job will be to find a brass worm wheel and steel worm to replace the nylon ones, worse comes to the worse of it I will have to make my own but hopefully something will be available off the shelf.

What have I got from this project, well the use of Rowmark and similar plastics that can be used in the laser cutter makes for very simple loco construction that is largely reduced to the skills of assembling an airfix kit as long as the design is right, and that the £15 motor and gearbox was a good idea but not up to more than light work hopefully some better gears will improve the situation.

Next Project? Not sure as yet I think a 0-6-0 Hudswell might be a nice project but no wheels are available as yet although they will be soon so most likely something chain drive?

I have been very taken by River Don works on this forum and have been sketching out something based on those lines in 10mm scale a mico on a whole new scale!

Edited to remove video clip disaster....

IMG_0072.MOV

Guest Isambarduk

"... hopefully something will be available off the shelf."

I can recommend Ultrascale Gears ; the worm is made of  Nylatron and the wormwheel is brass.  The Nylatron is self-lubricating and the combination is exceptionally quiet.  Over the years, I have replaced many indifferent steel worm + brass wormwheel sets that appear in kits and, although my models do not run often, when they do they run around a garden railway for mile after mile and I have seen no deterioration.

David

"... hopefully something will be available off the shelf."

I can recommend Ultrascale Gears ; the worm is made of  Nylatron and the wormwheel is brass.  The Nylatron is self-lubricating and the combination is exceptionally quiet.  Over the years, I have replaced many indifferent steel worm + brass wormwheel sets that appear in kits and, although my models do not run often, when they do they run around a garden railway for mile after mile and I have seen no deterioration.

David

Many thanks for that information, I have just had a look while googling other suppliers the largest set they do look like they might just fit the bill, although i might have to adapt the boss for metric axles but that's about all.

I will pull the gear box out and get the micrometer and vernier around to check the dimensions.

Kind Regards

Andy

I can second the idea of using Ultrascale worm/gear sets as they too have solved graunchy/lumpy running for me on brass-bodied 7mm locos which act like sound boxes but do thus tell you that something isn't happy. The only downside is the lead time of 6 months or so so it's worthwhile stocking up as their postage costs are also a tad above what you'll pay elsewhere. When you look at them you wouldn't think they will be all that different but somehow they are. And very worthwhile in my opinion. No connection except as a very satisfied repeat customer.

Guest Isambarduk

"... do Ultrascale really take 6 months to deliver or is that just for worse case specials?"

Good point!  No; standard kit, such as gears, arrives in a few days.  I really don't know why they put people off with this cautionary note because it applies only to specials.  I have been asked this question before and reassured people and I know one who phoned Ultrascale who said your gears will be with you before the end of the week!  I agree that the postage is a tad steep for only one or two sets - I suppose they are encouraging you to buy more sets :-)

David

Thanks for that I am going to order a couple of sets anyway and see if I can build a rugged simple gear box for small G1 industrials, the weight involved in G1 is a whole different ball game to even O Gauge, I was just having a look at my electric LNWR Super D and realised it needs a new worm wheel very soon but I guess that's to do with dragging 40 wagon coal trains around with it!

Many thanks for the advice again.

Andy

Archived