Another Planet project

Having just finished 2 weeks holiday I had the chance to finally complete the SCW 18T planet loco, while away I also took, ( much to my other halfs dispare at yet another railway visit) the opportunity to have a look at the Planet at the Bidford and Instow railway so have been able to incorporate some future detail into the drawings although the one at Bidford is ballasted up a bit more and has a few other detail differences, infact the more I look the more I realise that no two planet locos are quite the same even though they are from the same drawings!

I would just note that the drawings I have prepare are for a gauge 1 10mm scale model so do alter odd details to reflect stock material thicknesses etc, although non of them are wildly amiss, as I know a few people have asked for copies of the drawing I am quite happy to make available for personal use, if you can PM me with the scale you want for paper prints (a SAE would be appreciated) or for those with CAD let me know and your welcome to a 2000lt or DXF of it by email.

Further to the actual model loco things are moving forwards, the Ultra Scale 50:1 worm and wheel have arrived and I am now working on a Mk II model with machined steel wheels, an etched gearbox and brass bearings, the etch will also incorporate works plates, radiator badge and a few other details. chain drive will remain the same. I might even push the boat out a bit and go up a scale to Gauge 3 to go with the couple of G3 wagons I have built in the past, at least with a loco like the Planet you can turn up at a railway with just a few wagons and "play trains".

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

The frames and brake gear + some other details are from some planet works drawings that I have in my personal archive from when I owned and restored a SCW class some years ago, the rest of the infomation are from a site survey and measure of the loco I used to own that's now at Titley Junction Station.

• 2 months later...

After some months of just playing with the little Planet loco, at various get together and shows (it's quite nice to have a loco that fits your pocket!) and a lot of interest in it as an entry level loco in Gauge 1, I have had my arm twisted to produce it as a 'starter' kit, not as simple as it sounds as a few issues showed up with the prototype and I had to modify quite a few bits to make it work that wouldn't be reasonable as a kit to expect a maker to do especially if it was someone with limited experience or tools.

First job has to been to redesign the running gear, the first one used a simple Chinese right angle worm drive gearbox, the gears on these didn't like 10 wagons as a load although the motor was more than willing, so first act was to replace the plastic gears with a nice 'Ultrascale' 1:50 set, the loco will run smoothly down to a scale 2MPH with the original 1:40 reduction so I am expecting even better slow speed performance with the quality 1:50 set. Chains and sprockets appear bomb proof so no change there.

In the 1st Planet I have built I used the frame cut in Rowmark to support the bearings and wheel sets, it made a rod for my own back when it came to replacing the melted worm and wheel, so that's the next big design change the plastic wheels have gone to be replaced with turned Walsall Model Industries wheels fixed with countersunk allen screws to the axle ends, and a 1mm thick laser cut steel frame that's folded up with nice big brass bearings to form the motor mount and frame, the tabs will locate into the cut Rowmark body and that will have 4 captive M3 nuts fitted to it to allow the mechanical portion of the loco to be easily installed and removed if required.

post-17012-0-02104500-1417801331_thumb.jpg

Now onto redesigning the body to fit but that shouldn't be that different from what when before other than some changes to the fixing of the cab roof.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been asked a few time about this while it was on display at Warley, the chances are I will most likely go larger into G3 but I would be concerned that it would not just scale down using the same construction methods into 7mm for a start the mechanical side of things would need to be radically diffrent and would be totally outside my scope of knowledge how to make it work. Although I did build so 0 gauge stuff when I was at university I have been a convert to the larger gauges for over 20 years.... And yes to me 0 gauge is like watchmaking and I think I would be driven to despair by N!

Your quite welcome to have a copy of my drawing fo the 18T loco if you like drop me a PM with your email address and if you would like them as a DXF or DWG file.

The space issue is one reason I have started to let my industrial railways intreats (which I have had since a teenager) merge more with my modelling, the way Gauge One works in the UK means that you can quite happily build locos and stock and never have your own railway but have plenty of opportunity to operate them.

However after building and running my little Planet and looking at and being inspired by some of the micro layouts on here, I have put two and two together hence why I have started building my somewhat epicly misdiscribed 'mico' in the form of Dock Street Foundry however at 4' 1/2" x 11' 6" it at least will give me somewhere of my own to 'play trains' on.

I had a few hours in-between seasonal stuff yesterday to work on the production design of the Planet, I have altered a few things on the 1mm steel laser cut frames, and reworked most of the laser cut 'Rowmark' frames to suit, including building in what in the real loco would be the engine sump but for this one gives a bit more space for the charging socket, on/off switch and fuse. Something which was a bit tight space wise in the model prototype loco.

Guest Isambarduk

"  the way Gauge One works in the UK means that you can quite happily build locos and stock and never have your own railway but have plenty of opportunity to operate them."

A good number of us still quite happily behave this way in 0 gauge, actually! :-)    David

Archived