DJM announce limited edition J94 for RMWeb

DJM Dave

Hi Dave.

I see you "liked" my post, thanks. So will the injector and its pipework be a seperate moulding, or made from metal detail parts?

Sean.

Hi Sean,

It'll certainly be a separate moulding at the very least, although I'd prefer it, if costs allow, to be a metal detail part.

Cheers

Dave

Want to preorder but it'll be out too soon (don't get to say that very much ;) )for me to be able to afford it however if there are any left when I can I will no doubt get one. This may not be the place to ask and you may not be able to answer but are there any more RMWeb limited edition ideas floating around?

Thanks

Rhys

Want to preorder but it'll be out too soon (don't get to say that very much ;) )for me to be able to afford it however if there are any left when I can I will no doubt get one. This may not be the place to ask and you may not be able to answer but are there any more RMWeb limited edition ideas floating around?

Thanks

Rhys

Hi Rhys,

Thanks for the mail.

To answer your question, not that I know of, sorry.

Cheers

Dave

• 3 months later...

Hi Dave

Just saw the announcement on the other J94 thread; does this mean the RMweb 'special' will be following along soon as well?

David

Hi David,

yes indeed it does (at last), and should be one of the first released, if not first.

cheers

Dave

• 6 months later...

Given the prototype is now green, does that give scope for a second version if it sells out?

Just an evil thought

Les

Maybe further down the.....ahem, line (sorry) but there are loads of other liverys to go through first, and some quite unusual ones that actually existed....... Large logo blue anyone? ( yes LLB, but without arrows)

Cheers

Dave

HE%203890%20NCB%2066%20austerity%20amj.j

Rather clean for an Austerity but one of the later NCB liveries with wasp stripes on both buffer beams.  Taken a few days before the Hunslet 150 event at Middleton Railway.

Thinking out loud - possible development could be to back date for the 50550 and possibly the 48150. Some time ago there was an article detailling an Austerity back to the 50550.  The 48150 tank stops before the smokebox.

48150 Jessie

HE%201873%20Jessie%2048150%20at%20Embsay

903.jpg

Thinking out loud - possible development could be to back date for the 50550 and possibly the 48150. 

At first glance it doesn't look too hard... but sadly:

The frames, buffer beams, driving wheels, cabs and coupling rods are different for the 50550 - not to mention that there were noticeable detail differences between every member of the class, which was only 8 strong!

Paul A. 

At first glance it doesn't look too hard... but sadly:

The frames, buffer beams, driving wheels, cabs and coupling rods are different for the 50550 - not to mention that there were noticeable detail differences between every member of the class, which was only 8 strong!

Ah but...

Ambis Engineering does a detailing etch. Part number LCP1.

Go to page three in this pdf.

http://ambisengineering.co.uk/loco_parts_info.pdf

You get the cotter pin type coupling rods etc. If you can live with the wheels being 1mm oversize, arm yourself with a copy of Modelling Railways Illustrated, Vol. 1 No. 2  (Nov- Dec. 1993), take a small dose of ingenuity and a decent 50550 should result. :smile_mini2:

P

I'm not disputing that a rough and ready 50550 is not possible, but merely expressing that the changes to the tooling from an RTR austerity would be many, and the appeal limited. 

If, like me, you're wanting a 50550 which is as accurate as the DJ austerity model, with the same attention to detail, then you'll plumb for one of the Mercian/Wynchbury/Brassmasters kits. 

Paul A.

I'm not disputing that a rough and ready 50550 is not possible, but merely expressing that the changes to the tooling from an RTR austerity would be many, and the appeal limited. 

With a bit of time and care why would a bit of modelling make it "rough & ready"? Although thinking about it virtually all industrials might be described as rough & ready.

You're quite right about a prototype that was made in small numbers having limited appeal, so it follows that producing one would probably be far less commercially viable. If that turns out to be the case then doing a bit of modelling may be the only way one will be able to get that prototype. I only suggested a method of achieving that.

Having said that the RTR manufactures seemed to have cottoned on that one off and odd ball locomotives can be profitable.

If, like me, you're wanting a 50550 which is as accurate as the DJ austerity model, with the same attention to detail, then you'll plumb for one of the Mercian/Wynchbury/Brassmasters kits. 

Still available? And you still have the problem of sourcing prototypical wheels of the correct diameter. Luckily, a mate has a strategic reserve that I could fall back onto should the urge take me. :smile_mini2:

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

I have a 48150 class, pictured here.

It does make more of a change from the WD than the 50550 with its full-length tank.  Even articles in the model railway magazines don't always manmage to distinguish between a WD and a 50550, with some articles describing a loco that is neither one nor the other..

Mercian 48150 No.6 JAMES is a regular for No Place, and will eventually be joined by 50550 class GEDDINGTON, number to be decided when I eventually take delivery of the loco.  Bringing this back to the thread  topic there will also be a yellow No.65 (and a few more DJM WDs).

Les

post-13358-0-21907400-1438369858.jpg

Edited by Les1952

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have group of Austerity Locomotive photos from an Unknown Colliery - Need HELP to identify the colliery.  On the Cab is Printed " Colliery No.8  150/91".  On the top line of the tank is "National Coal Board" The second line is obscured by soot and grime, it looks like it is the Division or Area name.  Does anyone have an idea which colliery and Division/Area this might be??  THANK YOU.
Roy

• RMweb Gold

I have group of Austerity Locomotive photos from an Unknown Colliery - Need HELP to identify the colliery. On the Cab is Printed " Colliery No.8 150/91". On the top line of the tank is "National Coal Board" The second line is obscured by soot and grime, it looks like it is the Division or Area name. Does anyone have an idea which colliery and Division/Area this might be?? THANK YOU.

Roy

The national archive records NCB colliery number 8 as being the Newstead Colliery Co Ltd.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Just down the road from me :)

Hi Roy,

Pocket Book NCB, British Industrial Locomotives 1967-1969 does not show an Austerity 0-6-0 ST at that location. Can you give the full information on the National Archives NCB, is it a book or website?? I have recieved information from the seller thet the photos are from Snowdown in Kent.

Roy

Hi Roy,

Pocket Book NCB, British Industrial Locomotives 1967-1969 does not show an Austerity 0-6-0 ST at that location. Can you give the full information on the National Archives NCB, is it a book or website?? I have recieved information from the seller thet the photos are from Snowdown in Kent.

Roy

I think Snowdown only had Austerity No9 the others where Avonsides.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/sets/72157626694269563/

According to the Industrial Railway Society, Newstead Colliery had three locos (nothing used before 1952).  Two were Sentinel steam and the third a Hunslet 0-4-0 diesel hydraulic.

There are no suitable candidates in Nottinghamshire, nor in Kent.

There was a green Number 8 at Mountain Ash.  However this had NCB No.8 in large lettering on the tank side, and a wasp striped buffer beam.

However I might have a loco that answers the description.  In "British Austerity Saddletanks" by Gordon Edgar there is a picture of West Cannock No.5 Colliery No.8.  This is Hunslet 3776 of 1952.  The lettering isn't readable in the (rather small) pic but it is black with some lettering on the tank and what LOOKS like No.8 in white on the cabside. This loco was new as No.8 at Baggeridge Colliery, repaired by BR Wolverhampton 1960, given a replacement boiler in 1963 then to Hilton Main Colliery in 1968 and then Granville Colliery the same year via BR Tyseley for tyre turning. It was at Cannock Wood Colliery from 1970 to 1971, then West Cannock from 1971 to 1977.  It moved to Bickershaw Colliery in February 1977 being renumberd 7 and named BICKERSHAW.  Preserved on the East Lancashire Railway in 1984 it became No.8 SIR ROBERT PEEL. then via Toddington in 1993 and Chinnor in 1996 it ended up at the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Railway in 2000 with the intention to rename it WARSPITE and fit a Geisl ejector.

Hope this helps.

Les