Operation build it buildings

Hippo

• RMweb Premium

I'm currently trying out the station building, but in 2mm. Since I don't work in 4mm I scanned the 4 sheets, reduced and fitted them onto an A4, and printed them on a Staples A4 label sheet. I print onto label sheets for all my buildings now. Much easier in 2mm, especially for windows, and it also suits the basic construction methods/design of this building very well.

Although I would like the building with a brick finish for a little mini-layout I'm making at present, I'm trying it in the stone finish first to see if anything needs changing/adapting. The only problem so far is the use of thicker mount-board for the thick card. 2mm & 1mm is stated for 4mm scale, so 1mm & 0.5mm for 2mm scale should work, but the mount-board is 1.2mm and too thick for some bits, ( I use it a lot - even for baseboard construction - but that's another story).

Here is a shot of where I am at the present time. You can just see where the board is too thick, the chimney overlay didn't wrap all the way around. These are the kind of issues I'm looking to find and solve.

Izzy

post-12706-0-53578500-1385643134.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Well I've built it as intended. It looks a lot better from normal viewing distances

post-8690-0-74148700-1385681030_thumb.jpg

post-8690-0-94873100-1385681134_thumb.jpg

I did struggle though, as with alot of people I have got used to printing Scalescenes stuff out on A4 Label sheets. I found the paper from the magazine was to thick, and it would definitely benefit from a coat of matt varnish.

I did think this evening after I had finished it, I wonder if I bought a digital copy of the magazine I would just be able to print it out on label paper....

I must say C&WR it really does look like part of the Scalescenes medium station, and your one looks very nicely put together.

Right on with the signal box

Owen

Yep, that is module A of the Scalescenes medium station building.  Yours there is a very nice example!  I note that John Whiffen has updated the downpipes so they are like the ones on the small engine shed, this is a massive improvement over the original format.

Thanks for your kind comments about mine.  The build is on the first page of my layout/workbench thread.  It was about my third Scalescenes kit and I really enjoyed doing it!

The only problem so far is the use of thicker mount-board for the thick card. 2mm & 1mm is stated for 4mm scale, so 1mm & 0.5mm for 2mm scale should work, but the mount-board is 1.2mm and too thick for some bits, ( I use it a lot - even for baseboard construction - but that's another story)

Hi, Izzy

I recycle old POS cards from B&Q, they are 0.7mm thick approx. 300mm wide x 450mm high (Brought a pile of them to Spain when I moved over 4 years ago). B&Q are always changing them and throwing them away. May meet your requirement and at no cost

Cheers

Ron

• RMweb Premium

I thought I would post a couple of shots of my finished 2mm version of the station building. The ends have been cut down, the roof extended, and bargeboards added as well as being given a brick finish. The signs/boards/posters come from the Scalescenes station signs, BR eastern region.

Izzy

post-12706-0-25064600-1386849585.jpg

post-12706-0-09052600-1386849604.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Well I've picked up this months new Hornby magazine and I'll be honest it doesn't look that great. But I'll still be building it  :no:

C&WR Thanks for the complements. the builds are all right but could be better if printed on thinner non shiny paper.

Harry2013 if you just want them for bits I would recommend buying the actual scalescenes kits as then you can print them on thinner paper, and if you make a mistake just print some more off.

Izzy, that's a beautiful build. you have done a far better job in 2mm than I managed in 4mm

Cheers

Owen

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Owen, appreciated.

I'm currently working on the next building, the concrete store, again 2mm. This time, just for a change, I'm building it mainly as it's meant to be, but due to mucking up the printing of the label sheets adding some overlays of the pillars to provide 3D relief.  I'll post some shots when it's done.

Of course anyone else wanting to change the paper could just do what I do and scan the originals. They come out okay at a decent resolution - 600dpi or higher. If the file size is too big to manipulate you can then resize/resample them down to a better size, say 300dpi. The image quality is still far better than just scanning at 300dpi to start with. It's to do with the way printing is undertaken.

Izzy

Well I've picked up this months new Hornby magazine and I'll be honest it doesn't look that great. But I'll still be building it  :no:

C&WR Thanks for the complements. the builds are all right but could be better if printed on thinner non shiny paper.

Harry2013 if you just want them for bits I would recommend buying the actual scalescenes kits as then you can print them on thinner paper, and if you make a mistake just print some more off.

Izzy, that's a beautiful build. you have done a far better job in 2mm than I managed in 4mm

Cheers

Owen

Owen, when I posted I was thinking of scanning the feebie using my new printer, even if that idea doesnt work out, I could still use a scan for a 'trial build'.

• RMweb Premium

What is the new building?  Is it one not in the standard Scalesenes range?

Not as far as I can see. It's a concrete provender type shed of the type often seen in later years. Makes up very nicely.

Izzy

• RMweb Premium

Just had a look on the Scalescenes site and the original free store is no longer there. However, I did find I had a copy stored in my files - which I had completely forgotten - and the new concrete provender store in the Jan Hornby mag would appear to be a revised version of this, which was a wooden building on brick plinths. Perhaps I'll get around to making one up as a comparison sometime.

Izzy

• RMweb Gold

It sounds like the the store is one that was on Scalescenes website sometime ago.

The free one which was a wooden building on brick plinths, I believe was replaced by a red or brown brick store, this has also been removed.

I do have both of them stored though.

post-6745-0-92516100-1387108413.png

post-6745-0-83315400-1387108416.png

Funny I've just built that Medium station building.

I've had that kit for a while with the old down pipes, the new ones do look much better!

Also just built the large station building, for a layout that will at the moment, never be!

post-6745-0-97600000-1387108963_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-16746800-1387108982_thumb.jpg

I buy my card from artesaver, I know it's 25 sheets, but it comes in very handy for all modeling.

http://www.artesaver.co.uk/online/index.php?route=product/category&path=69_219_224

There are also suppliers on Ebay selling A4 sheets of grey cardboard in 1 and 2mm thicknesses.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Here's a couple of shots of the store, again 2mm. There are no steps/ramp to the platform because I'm not sure what I want yet. I might even build it again as I don't think the relief on the sides/ends is deep enough to show properly except in certain lighting. I just added it in label depth overlay as more seemed too deep at the time. I certainly think anyone building one in a larger scale, say 4mm, would really need to think about adding the relief on the sides/ends in quite deep card for decent effect.

Izzy

post-12706-0-85951200-1387136693.jpg

post-12706-0-76792200-1387136711.jpg

Thanks, Izzy.  Finally saw the new Hornby mag today.  I also have the shed from when it was a freeby (my first Scalescenes kit & what got me back into the game) so I could just print out the base layers & then cover it in any texture I fancied.

Here are my first two attempts at card modelling in 25 or so years:

01022012542.jpg

And here they are, one planted & the other in a possible position:

2012_05_16_0687.JPG

2012_03_22_0279.JPG

Hope everyone's having as much fun with Op BUILD IT as I did with these!

• RMweb Premium

I have to agree with Izzy, The relief is non existent and its probably the worst scalescenes model I have come across. I appreciate that John is working for Hornby magazine on these designs as nothing I have bought off the website has been this bad. I still built it though  :no: . Its not nearly as nice as Izzys 2mm scale one but here's some pics any way.

post-8690-0-20854200-1387234214_thumb.jpg

post-8690-0-76401400-1387234280_thumb.jpg

I put the signal box in this second picture to give an idea of size.

I never downloaded the original free one and looking at C&WR's lovely build of it I regret that. I may e-mail John this week to ask about getting a copy of the original ones file so I can build that instead.

Cheers

Owen

• RMweb Premium

Owen, I think that yours is every bit as good.

I don't think the concrete shed kit is bad, it's very accurate in general for the BR version, just that in common with many card based kits it suffers a bit in respect of the 3D relief. The earlier kit will be the same I think. In most respects Scalescenes are better in this design aspect, and it is a pity that this one isn't.

I will try again and add the relief, as I think the model deserves and will repay the effort.

Izzy

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if I may so bold as to enquire what benefits are obtained from using A4 self adhesive labels instead of printing direct onto card? Surely it is just adding a further layer to those that have to be cut out or am I missing something so obvious that I can't see it?

I wonder if I may so bold as to enquire what benefits are obtained from using A4 self adhesive labels instead of printing direct onto card? Surely it is just adding a further layer to those that have to be cut out or am I missing something so obvious that I can't see it?

I doubt there are many printers available for hobby use that can print on the thickness of card used in making these kits.

Personally,I'm not a big fan of printing on labels and because I always laminate my card from A4 cardstock to get the thickness I want I usually print onto 160gsm card first.

Allan

I use plasticard because of the layout being in the garage. Cardboard is prone to warping in the environment there, plasticard is much less likely to. Printing on a label also means you don't have to use glue. Makes it rather like an Airfix kit to build.

Stewart

Archived