Operation build it buildings

Hippo

The first kit is my old 'Small warehouse' kit from a few years ago, just email me via my contact page and I can send you a copy. The second kit is my Small Goods Store, which  should be back up on my new website in the next few weeks...

I would assume that the kits in the digital version of Hornby Magazine wouldn't have sufficient resolution. If any subscribers to the digital version of need high resolution printable copies once again just whizz me a quick email.

John

Dear John,

thank you for the first-hand-knowledge reply and thanks for the offer of sending the Small Warehouse by mail! I'll send you a contact mail after posting this - as I said, the brick style warehouse fits nicely with the boilerhouse that currently sits on my workbench...

Regarding the digital Hornby Magazines I had already suspected that your original PDFs would be the better choice.

I realy like the work you do. The textures and constructions are really good and I enjoy building them very much.

Best regards,

Martin

Over the years I have collected a few of the freebies....

Small platform waiting shelter

Small Brick Warehouse

Small Goods Store (Provender style)

Low relief warehouse

Inspection Pits

John was so kind to send me the brick-type Small Warehouse kit R002a that was shown in an earlier post. It is nice to see that people who make nice things are also nice people...

But to stay on topic, I had already built a version of the timber Small Goods Store when it was available on sclescenes.com. Being from germany and just having started building in 4 mm scale, I was quite curious about card kits. They are not very common in H0 scale, so this was my first try. After building the structure, I found it looking a bit too flat. So I took a needle held in a drill holder and engraved the joints between the timber boards and the stones of the piers. Then I scratched in some wood structure with less pressure. In the right light the effect is great and really worth the effort. However, I would recommend doing the engraving work before gluing the parts together.

20131024.Scalescenes001 IMG 0289

20131024.Scalescenes002 IMG 0297

I also tried this on the brickwork of the Low Relief Warehouse, which had an even better effect. This is something for really long and preferably lonely winternights, however (if you do this while your wife watches, she'll either want the divorce or send you to a closed institution...). But still the effect is worth the effort.

20131025.Scalescenes003 IMG 0391

20131028.Scalescenes004 IMG 0395

In the meantime I have seen several different card kits on friends layouts. In comparison I think that the Scalescenes kits very intelligently avoid visible edges by wrapping even the smallest parts with the cover layer or by concealing joints with edge caps etc.

Best regards,
Martin

• RMweb Premium

I am finishing off my 'low relief warehouse', maybe this is of interest.

I used 5mm foam core board for the structure, and mostly 1mm mount board for overlays and so on. The kit is enlarged to 112% for S scale (I measured the height of forty courses of bricks), and I then removed six courses of bricks to change the proportions of the main doors. The use of foam board means the model is slightly deeper than the original kit, so I printed a second copy of the front wall to make the two ends.

Trying to add a little ‘life’ to the model I printed the roller doors onto glossy photo paper. Pleased with this I printed the roof and the concrete apron parts onto glossy paper too to suggest a recent shower of rain. The concrete looks a bit like polished marble at the moment and needs some gentle weathering, but I think this will be easier than trying to add watery highlights with varnish. I set the floor of the office 2mm up to make room for a damp course, so there is a door step inside and an access ramp outside.

Some details:

Office door by Scalescenes, photocopied at 119% from Hornby Magazine February 2014 “yard office”

Porch brackets by Wills (1:76) from their window and door pack

Office window by Petite Properties, a laser cut card frame for 1:48 scale

Floodlamp by Veissmann, their HO scale 6333 “flutlichtstrahler rechteckig / rectangular floodlight projector” (the German is almost poetry?)

Sign posts from wooden cocktail sticks (very easy to “plant” into foam board)

Drainage channels below roller doors from microstrip

Ventilation duct by Scalescenes, cut from Hornby Magazine March 2014 “small industrial building”

and of course

Mazda RX-7 by Mattel, £1.25 in Toys ‘R’ Us

The name ‘RX Engineering’ is fictitious and does not represent to any real company, it just fits well with the toy car and this sets the period too.

The floodlamp was £4 from Alan Jones at the model railway show in Woodham Ferrers last Saturday 10th May … so a complete model building for about a fiver, not counting the printer ink. I am really pleased with this. The inside rear wall is dark brown mount card and it doesn't "show" the lack of depth.

- Richard.

post-14389-0-34358300-1400157127_thumb.jpg

post-14389-0-51216400-1400157162_thumb.jpg

post-14389-0-66475200-1400157243_thumb.jpg

post-14389-0-95299300-1400157217_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

One more photo, this one after wafting some matt varnish over the model. I do think the Scalescenes brickwork photographs well. The varnish adds some 'decay' to the bottom of the sign and a layer of 'dirt' over the window too.

- Richard.

post-14389-0-59205300-1400231103_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread. I have enjoyed building the various 'freebies', though I must confess to scanning in the pages and changing a few things... I wanted the buildings on my layout to be brick, as opposed to stone; luckily I have Photoshop on my computer, so it's quite straightforward.

First find a photo of brickwork, or free brick papers (do a search on Google...). Load it as a jpeg, open it along with the scanned image you want to change. Select the clone tool and clone the brick over the stone areas... If the scale of the bricks looks wrong, play around with the original image and try again.

I also use this to produce signage - find a suitable photo and play around with Transform tools to straighten, etc, then colour it, adjust size and print. Use the Staples Label paper - even easier.

I will take some photos when I can access my workshop again; got hit by a car and I can't mange the steps until the bones in my leg have healed...... Just an armchair modeller at the moment!

Archived