Retractable or stretchy cable for stud and probe.

I have two signalling panels which are about a foot apart both operated by the stud and probe method.  I use one probe to operate both panels but in order to reach all the studs on both panels the cable for the probe is about 3 feet long.  For neatness I would prefer the probe to have a retractable or stretchy cable connected, but not sure what options there are.  Any suggestions of what I can use and where I can buy them.  Thanks in anticipation. Kevin.

Would a "curly" telephone or electric guitar cable do the trick. Cheap and easily obtainable. 

Retrieving the cable retraction mechanism from an old vacuum cleaner might keep people guessing!

RP

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

There was an old technique of winding a piece of ordinary, straight, cable tightly around a former such as a broom handle; when the former is removed, the twist remains. I suspect phone/guitar cables are a bit too light for the sort of current/voltage required for point motors.

I've heard of that, though never needed to try it.  Seems like an easy solution, if some cable is already to hand, from what I remember, it needed to be heated too, to retain the curliness (by immersion in hot water, I'd guess - and before anyone says it: make sure its dry before you use it!)

JD

I've heard of that, though never needed to try it.  Seems like an easy solution, if some cable is already to hand, from what I remember, it needed to be heated too, to retain the curliness (by immersion in hot water, I'd guess - and before anyone says it: make sure its dry before you use it!)

JD

I have a colleague who, when she uses the radio handset and telephone, twists the leads even further than they're already twisted, such that you can barely lift them from the base-station. No problem with them retaining their curliness; the problem's trying to use a handset that doesn't want to budge off its rest..

You could purchase a couple of cheap coiled telephone handset cables like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/400428939978?lpid=83&device=t&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=83&ff19=0

chop off the connectors and utilise a couple of the cores or pick up a couple of panel mount RJ10 sockets to make yourself some removable probes.

• RMweb Premium

I have a colleague who, when she uses the radio handset and telephone, twists the leads even further than they're already twisted, such that you can barely lift them from the base-station. No problem with them retaining their curliness; the problem's trying to use a handset that doesn't want to budge off its rest..

As always - if you want something to stick: not a chance.  But when you don't want it to, it'll stay coiled up forever...

I have two signalling panels which are about a foot apart both operated by the stud and probe method.  I use one probe to operate both panels but in order to reach all the studs on both panels the cable for the probe is about 3 feet long.  For neatness I would prefer the probe to have a retractable or stretchy cable connected, but not sure what options there are.  Any suggestions of what I can use and where I can buy them.  Thanks in anticipation. Kevin.

Hi Kevin

A range of leads are available for DCC system throttles - have a look here:

http://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/index.php?cPath=23_162

Be sure to use the wires in any such leads in parallel to give the current capacity that solenoid motors need.

An alternative, slightly over-engineered solution, is to use a curly lead as sold for electric kettles. This would have the advantages of being robust and providing more than enough current carrying capacity.

Regards.

Thanks for the response.

A couple of questions:

1/ Is a RJ10 telephone cable suitable or is the current/voltage insufficient ?  If it is ok, do I connect all the wires to the CDU / probe.

2/ If I use a kettle lead, what core (colour) cable do I connect to the CDU / probe.

Kevin.

Given that you only need one core for a 'probe', then if you are using any form of multi-core cable I would recommend connecting ALL the cores. That way, you minimise the risk of a core break leaving you with a dead probe and maximise the current-bearing capacity.

Given that you only need one core for a 'probe', then if you are using any form of multi-core cable I would recommend connecting ALL the cores. That way, you minimise the risk of a core break leaving you with a dead probe and maximise the current-bearing capacity.

I suspect telephone cable single cores wouldn't have a high enough current rating - analogue phones use higher voltages but lower currents than model railways. Connecting all of the cores in parallel should solve this though.

Archived