A nail in the coffin for mainline steam?

PhilH

• RMweb Gold

http://www.brushtype4fund.co.uk/gallery/47295/ashchurch/Index.htm

not a leg out of bed....but piston in the sump....any engine can suffer it the latter or the former, the the deltic that recently suffered it was i believe due to a piston crown failure, the pictures you see there are a result of poor lubrication, the piston has overheated and seized and the weight of 6 others acting on it has sheared it at the little end (note the gudgeon pin is still intact) once that piston becomes detached the rod will do as it pleases.... 33s went through a phase of iffy bearings (zollern) which caused some instances and 50s sometimes sheared counterweights, and generally there are times when its just not been put back together properly...

trouble is theres an awful lot going on inside which you dont get to see....accept when its tooo late!

Regarding the Tangmere incident.

While the loss or failure of the gudgeon pin is extremely rare it is interesting to note that German locomotives fitted with similar crossheads appear to always have a bridle fitted around the front end of the connecting rod, presumably to catch the con rod if this happens. One wonders why this is not fitted on British locomotives

post-7313-0-06455900-1403286749.jpg

German 01 Pacific

Jeremy

Considering the dynamic forces involved when up to a quarter of a ton of connecting rod breaks loose, I have to agree with the previous post. Slightly different, but rods on engines fitted with Joy valve gear would break across the jack pin hole, the ends then whizzing around would smash everything within the frames, puncture the boiler barrel and/or firebox, and were generally twisted  out of recognition. And as someone else asked, if you provide this "protection" for the connecting rod, what do you do for the coupling rods?

Considering the dynamic forces involved when up to a quarter of a ton of connecting rod breaks loose, I have to agree with the previous post. Slightly different, but rods on engines fitted with Joy valve gear would break across the jack pin hole, the ends then whizzing around would smash everything within the frames, puncture the boiler barrel and/or firebox, and were generally twisted  out of recognition. And as someone else asked, if you provide this "protection" for the connecting rod, what do you do for the coupling rods?

By a strange coincidence, it was in a biography of Oliver Bulleid that I read that he made much the same point in defence of the 'missing' running boards of his Q1, when concerns were raised during a meeting he had with enginemens' representatives.

The Nim.

Archived