859 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently own a cutting machine?

• Yes
    • No, but I want to in the next 12 months
    • No, I have no plans to buy one
    • I'm undecided at the moment

Windows aplenty. Scribed and snapped from 0.5mm PVC (not the easiest to photograph under artificial light):

post-3717-0-66167200-1389727972_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-90217000-1389727988_thumb.jpg

Regarding blade depth, the most reliable way of checking the depth is to place some spare sheet alongside the blade and running your finger across it. You should just be able to feel the tip. Alternatively view the same under magnification. If you are using a 3rd party cutter holder such as the CB09 there are no graduations to act as a guide.

Printing on Styrene

The forum posts on the internet range from "you've no chance" to "this is how I do it". I found this thread http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/viewtopic.php?t=97467&sid=b7bd2c504a6a224cd71ecea12cb5b9ea that appears to show someone that's given it a go with the use of hairspray and Krylon satin clear coat. I haven't tried it, but you might find it interesting.

I had a go at the 'hairspray' method with qualified success.  My first attempt was rather blotchy,  so I tried spraying three layers (allowed to dry between coats) before printing. 

My HP printer allows various 'paper' choices, so I tried 'transparency film'.  The print was reasonable but the colours are rather muted.  Also the black ink seemed to 'take' less well than the colours.  Example below:

post-19820-0-56409500-1389729364.jpg

For the record, the hairspray was VO5 Strong Hold (chosen more or less at random - low price).

Mike

Edited by MikeOxon
  • Like 2

Would it be possible, do you think, to print card(?) laminations first, then cut them, then laminate together to form a pre-printed coach side? It might only need three layers.

I'm in awe at this.

Edit: There's a very nice four-wheeled coach in Russels GWR Coach book (part 1 I think) - all hand cut from card treated with shellac and held together with gum-arabic I seem to remember.

Edited by TheCuckoo

Would it be possible, do you think, to print card(?) laminations first, then cut them, then laminate together to form a pre-printed coach side? It might only need three layers.

Yes it is certainly possible!  see my blog post at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1405/entry-13122-instant-chocolate-with-cream/

I used PVA adhesive to stick the layers together.

I'm still trying to decide on the best method to use.  I notice that there an article in Railway Modeller (Feb '14) which shows printed sides stuck over clear acetate to make an N-gauge coach.

Edited by MikeOxon

Following the posts related to blade depth versus styrene thickness for clean cuts -

I have carried out a string of test cuts on both 10 & 20 thou styrene

Keeping the speed at 1, and the thickness/pressure at 33

Carried out the same Cut - a 10mm x 10mm rectangle

10 thou styrene - Single Cut

Blade depth set at 1 - No breakthrough

Blade depth set at 2 - No breakthrough

Blade depth set at 3 - Breakthrough - Clean cut

Blade depth set at 4 - Breakthrough - Clean cut

Not necessary to increase blade depth further

This appears to confirm a blade cut depth of 0.1mm per blade depth setting

20 thou styrene - Single Cut - Blade depth set at 1 thro 10 - No breakthrough

20 thou styrene - Double Cut - Blade depth set at 5 thro 10 - No breakthrough

20 thou styrene - 4 Cuts - Blade depth set at 8 thro 10 - No breakthrough

20 thou styrene - 6 Cuts - Blade depth set at 10 - No breakthrough

20 thou styrene - 8 Cuts - Blade depth set at 10 - Breakthrough - Clean cut

It appears that initially the increased number of cuts increases burr height as the blade cut depth increases, and repeated cuts tend to compress the burr height as the blade approaches breakthrough 

The total height including the burr height after cutting measured 24.8 thou

Hope this helps

Ron

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

That's really interesting Ron. With your 20 thou styrene, did you have the same blade depth, pressure etc on all eight cuts or did you start light and then go in for the kill (as it were)?

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was going to give CutWizard a go. Unfortunately I squandered my trial license as I installed it and then had to travel for a week. To review the software I installed the full license yesterday tried using the utility this afternoon.

It looks as if sales of CutWizard have now been stopped: http://www.hobbyplotter.de/download/content/index.php?id=43

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike.

I wonder if sales have stopped full stop, or if they have stopped selling them at that outlet. Either way, I still couldn't recommend it, which is a huge shame.

That's really interesting Ron. With your 20 thou styrene, did you have the same blade depth, pressure etc on all eight cuts or did you start light and then go in for the kill (as it were)?

Hi, Jason

After the 4 cuts at blade depth set at 10, pressure 33 and speed 1, and still no breakthrough, continued remaining tests were carried at the same settings

On production cuttings, I would go along Mike Trice's advice that the first cut should be a score to make an accurate path for all subsequent cuts

Ron

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's a photo of blades with and without end caps on. I got fed up with trying to fish bits of crud from out of the blade holder, so I unscrewed the cap and used a small blower to blow the dust away. Much easier and effective.

That said, it goes without saying you need to be really careful when doing it. I don't touch the blade itself if I can help it.

post-14192-0-83135300-1389746651_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's something that just happened to me. I opened Silhouette Studio to do a cut, and the following message was displayed:

post-14192-0-55554300-1389749223.jpg

I had a look on the internet but couldn't find anything useful, so I rebooted my computer and everything is fine now. I thought this post might be useful in case it happens to anyone else.

Here's something that just happened to me. I opened Silhouette Studio to do a cut, and the following message was displayed:

attachicon.giferror-messages.jpg

I had a look on the internet but couldn't find anything useful, so I rebooted my computer and everything is fine now. I thought this post might be useful in case it happens to anyone else.

Inspired by this thread, and thank you very much to all who have been contributing, I have been experimenting with the Silhouette I bought last year - but haven't had time to use as much as I would like.

Last week I got a similar message when I tried to open Studio, but rebooting didn't get rid of it, and nor did an uninstall and reinstall. In the end I guessed that something recent had corrupted the Studio files and restored the PC back a couple of weeks - a rather desperate move, and one I wouldn't want to make a habit of, but it did cure the problem. I then reinstalled the only recent software (Serif Drawplus X6 and McAfee) that the restore had removed and the problem has not reoccurred (thank goodness) but I am none the wiser as to the cause. One of those moments when you feel helpless in the face of technology!

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Chris

attachicon.giferror-messages.jpg

This problem seems to be known to Silhouette.  see http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/faq/solution/runtime-error-encountered-when-launching-software

They suggest that it is related to system permissions, which is a common problem, especially with Windows Vista.  Their proposed solution, which is a complete re-install, seems rather drastic and suggests to me that there is a bug in their software somewhere.

They also suggest a 'work around' as follows:

[quote}

"If continued concerns met, perform the following steps:

1. Save the following file to your computer:

sstudio1.dll

2. Right-click and select to Extract the sstudio1.dll file
  3. Copy and paste the extracted file to the following location: C: > ProgramFiles(x86) > Silhouette Studio

NOTE: If prompted to overwrite, please do so

4. Attempt to re-run the Silhouette Studio® program"

I've not had the problem, so have not tried this, but it might be useful.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Mike.

I don't know how I missed that. Studio sometimes does screwy things anyway like not closing properly, and consequently not reopening. The above looks like a good solution, but definitely try the off and on again thing first, then the steps above.

edited to say, Sorry Chris, I didn't realise we'd "turned a page". I'm pleased it's working now.

Edited by JCL

This problem seems to be known to Silhouette.  see http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/faq/solution/runtime-error-encountered-when-launching-software

They suggest that it is related to system permissions, which is a common problem, especially with Windows Vista.  Their proposed solution, which is a complete re-install, seems rather drastic and suggests to me that there is a bug in their software somewhere.

They also suggest a 'work around' as follows:

[quote}

"If continued concerns met, perform the following steps:

1. Save the following file to your computer:

sstudio1.dll

2. Right-click and select to Extract the sstudio1.dll file
  3. Copy and paste the extracted file to the following location: C: > ProgramFiles(x86) > Silhouette Studio

NOTE: If prompted to overwrite, please do so

4. Attempt to re-run the Silhouette Studio® program"

I've not had the problem, so have not tried this, but it might be useful.

Thank you Mike, If it happens again I will certainly try this work round - much less drastic than my remedy, which was actually on Windows 7 so Vista is not to blame for once.

Also thank you JCL for jogging my memory about Studio's other, possibly connected, peculiarity that it often doesn't shut properly and has to be 'forced' when the PC is shut down.

None of which stops the Silhouette being a great bit of kit, although I do wish Studio could handle layers. I get round this by drawing in Rhino (I know - a 3D programme is somewhat excessive, but I have been using it for years and it is very reliable) and then exporting sections as separate DXF files. These DXF files are then merged one by one in the desired order for cutting into Studio, each being deleted after completion of that particular cut (or planking scribe). As long as the positioning in Studio remains unchanged, and the workpiece doesn't move, this works well, but it would be so much easier with layers or the facility to select to cut by colour of line. Control over the direction of cut would be great too! Ah well - wishful thinking perhaps?

In the past we have at work paid four times the cost of the Silhouette including Studio just for one year of support on one high-end machining programme, so I suppose one must keep a sense of proportion!  

Chris

Edited by Chris121

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris

If you are up for it, some of us are moving to Inkscape for creating the cutting patterns and only using Silhouette Studio for the act of cutting the parts out. Mike Trice is building a library of tutorials that will take you from first steps through to creating something you will want to cut. But if you've been using Rhino, then I think you'd pick it up really quickly. Inkscape does support layers, and can save DXF files.

One other thing, I've found that on importing the drawing into Silhouette, objects of the same colour are grouped together as a "compound path". If you made the object in each Inkscape (or other) layer a different colour, then all the lines in that layer will be grouped together. It would be easy to export all of it to Studio, save as a .studio file then open the file, delete the layers you don't need, and cut the one you do , then repeat with the other layers.

One thing about Studio not closing correctly. Normally, if Studio doesn't close then you can't reopen it, which means you have to reboot your computer to access the program again. There is a way around this, but use it at your peril. If you delete the wrong thing, then you could be in trouble. If you aren't sure, don't try.

The method is as follows:

1. In Windows, press the ctrl-alt-del buttons at the same time. The screen may go off and back on again, and you will get a menu
  2. Choose Task Manager
  3. Click on the Processes tab
  4. Choose Silhouette Studio.exe
  5. Click on End Process

cheers

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

Think I'll stick to the Stanley knife...

Whatever you're most comfortable with - it's the result that counts :)

by the way, JCL, you can get to the Task Manager in Windows simply by right-clicking on the task bar at the bottom of the screen.

Edited by MikeOxon

Styrene is typically a pale grey rather than white. Try a light spray of white primer before the hairspray coats. It might lift the colours.

Following your suggestion, Mike, I brushed some white primer onto the styrene and tried a print.  It was just a quick experiment but the ink took very well to the surface, dried quickly and showed good colour. 

My rough brushmarks are very obvious and,  to do this properly, I would have to spray thinned primer (as you suggested, of course).  I suppose it's a bit like making a fresco!

Worth pursuing further :)

post-19820-0-03788100-1389906849.jpg

I'm still thinking about what materials to use. Thin (10 thou) styrene needs to be laminated, which brings its own problems, whereas card is easier to print and strong.  If Pendon are happy with card, why do people feel the need to use styrene?

Mike

• Like 4

Jimbofin kindly sent me the link to this post, I'm really impressed with the results you guys have achieved with the cutter.  I've only had a very quick glance through the thread and I'll digest it all when I have some more time, but it's very apparent how useful this machine can be.  I've been working in Sketchup producing files for laser cutting, working with 1mm MDF.  For the finer details I can see that this device would be very useful, especially as you cannot laser cut plasticard.  

Thanks for taking the time to put together such a well thought out guide, I'm looking forward to reading through it.

Cheers

Al

• Like 1

Following your suggestion, Mike, I brushed some white primer onto the styrene and tried a print.  It was just a quick experiment but the ink took very well to the surface, dried quickly and showed good colour. 

My rough brushmarks are very obvious and,  to do this properly, I would have to spray thinned primer (as you suggested, of course).  I suppose it's a bit like making a fresco!

Actually I was thinking Acrylic Car Primer in a rattle can, possibly the plastic primer. I seem to recall from many years ago that Primer is still porous but that might have been the old fashioned Cellulose primer.

Hi Chris

If you are up for it, some of us are moving to Inkscape for creating the cutting patterns and only using Silhouette Studio for the act of cutting the parts out. Mike Trice is building a library of tutorials that will take you from first steps through to creating something you will want to cut. But if you've been using Rhino, then I think you'd pick it up really quickly. Inkscape does support layers, and can save DXF files.

One other thing, I've found that on importing the drawing into Silhouette, objects of the same colour are grouped together as a "compound path". If you made the object in each Inkscape (or other) layer a different colour, then all the lines in that layer will be grouped together. It would be easy to export all of it to Studio, save as a .studio file then open the file, delete the layers you don't need, and cut the one you do , then repeat with the other layers.

One thing about Studio not closing correctly. Normally, if Studio doesn't close then you can't reopen it, which means you have to reboot your computer to access the program again. There is a way around this, but use it at your peril. If you delete the wrong thing, then you could be in trouble. If you aren't sure, don't try.

The method is as follows:

1. In Windows, press the ctrl-alt-del buttons at the same time. The screen may go off and back on again, and you will get a menu
  2. Choose Task Manager
  3. Click on the Processes tab
  4. Choose Silhouette Studio.exe
  5. Click on End Process

cheers

Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks for this, I've just had a play with importing different coloured layers, and it works well from Serif Drawplus X6, but, so far, less well from Rhino 4, but it is useful to know how to keep things separate in Studio. Inkscape would be great if one could programme all functions of the Silhouette, including cutting force, directly, but I gather this is not possible.

Studio does open and close quite happily, and only seems to 'hang' during the shutdown process - not really a problem - as long as it gets no worse.

I use Rhino chiefly because I have been designing for Rapid Prototyping/3D printing and have just got used to this way of working. I am lucky enough to have a 3D miller (Roland MDX500), but the simplicity and convenience of the Silhouette on the desk is very attractive - and it is a lot easier to programme, although not quite as easy as a Stanley knife, Allan - but in my hands probably safer!

Chris

• Like 1