858 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently own a cutting machine?

• Yes
    • No, but I want to in the next 12 months
    • No, I have no plans to buy one
    • I'm undecided at the moment

Does anyone have experience of KNK Zing Orbit and KNK Force cutting machines?   These claim to have more down-force than Silhouette machines - but are more expensive.   

• Like 1

Does anyone have experience of KNK Zing Orbit and KNK Force cutting machines?   These claim to have more down-force than Silhouette machines - but are more expensive.   

Yes, and yes they do.

• Like 1

Yes, and yes they do.

If the first "yes" means that you have experience of those machines how about telling us a bit more about them - such as what you can do with them that is better than a Cameo or Portrait?

...R

If the first "yes" means that you have experience of those machines how about telling us a bit more about them - such as what you can do with them that is better than a Cameo or Portrait?

...R

I have both the Silhouette and KNK Force. Very similar types of machine. The Force is much bigger and has the nice feature of being wireless for easy uploading of files.

In all honesty I haven't explored much with either cutter as I have concentrated on laser cutting. 

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having read various threads on this, I'm thinking of buying a plotter, or asking for one for Christmas...

As I'm on a limited budget, would it be a false economy to buy a secondhand one? I'm assuming the blades and mats wear out, are they easy to get replacements for? Are they backwards compatible (i.e. the same in a Portrait 2 as a Portrait)? Are there any other 'gotchas'?

Thanks!

Nick

Having read various threads on this, I'm thinking of buying a plotter, or asking for one for Christmas...

As I'm on a limited budget, would it be a false economy to buy a secondhand one? I'm assuming the blades and mats wear out, are they easy to get replacements for? Are they backwards compatible (i.e. the same in a Portrait 2 as a Portrait)? Are there any other 'gotchas'?

Thanks!

Nick

Nick, I've got a nearly new one that I'd be happy to sell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I've got a whole sheet of window frames & doors for a 7mm caravan, which I can cut all at once.

However, the two doors need to be re-drawn (to the correct size...), but I don't want to re-cut all the rest of the windows again.

Is it possible to mark sections of a Silhouette drawing plan so it doesn't get cut ?

(The other option, obviously, is to copy the new windows & doors to a new file, and just cut those.)

Cheers

Stu

Hi all,

I've got a whole sheet of window frames & doors for a 7mm caravan, which I can cut all at once.

However, the two doors need to be re-drawn (to the correct size...), but I don't want to re-cut all the rest of the windows again.

Is it possible to mark sections of a Silhouette drawing plan so it doesn't get cut ?

(The other option, obviously, is to copy the new windows & doors to a new file, and just cut those.)

Cheers

Stu

Yes, although in the opposite way to your suggestion of “mark sections not to be cut”.

Set the line color for the two doors to a colour not used elsewhere. Then select just that colour for cutting.

Greetings all this sites been a bit short of pictures lately so here's a picture of the latest build. An 1871 Metropolitan built Caledonian first second comp with central luggage compartment. All parts drawn on Inkscape and cut on a standard Silhouette cutter.

Because of the undetframe designs the sole bars springs and w irons were built up in 10 thou layers the axles them selves running on inside bearings. The wheels are standard Hornby but with Mansell wheel insert also drawn on the Silhouette. Other fitting like buffers etc. are from Wizard models

post-17847-0-03314500-1537859941_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Greetings all this sites been a bit short of pictures lately so here's a picture of the latest build. An 1871 Metropolitan built Caledonian first second comp with central luggage compartment. All parts drawn on Inkscape and cut on a standard Silhouette cutter.

Because of the undetframe designs the sole bars springs and w irons were built up in 10 thou layers the axles them selves running on inside bearings. The wheels are standard Hornby but with Mansell wheel insert also drawn on the Silhouette. Other fitting like buffers etc. are from Wizard models

Hi Steve,

Well, that seems to have sorted the lack of pictures in fine style!  It's a lovely piece of work and knowing your approach to these things it'll have a simple arrangement on the centre wheel that costs not a lot but works.

Which version of Inkscape are you on now and have you experienced any of the file transfer problems to the Silhouette that have been reported?

I hesitate to be critical but I think the side chains are one link short, unless of course you're representing a Cathcart Circle coach as running in 1897.

This coach building must be catching !

Here is my recent attempt at a 7mm GWR 4 wheel 3rd Class coach in the process of being made on the cutter

post-20303-0-72698100-1537863810_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-81712900-1537863822_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-62729200-1537863835_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-75361000-1537863849_thumb.jpg

Inside bearings will be used and so the wheels are only placed temporarily in the photographs.

Grahame

• Like 6

Hi Steve,

Well, that seems to have sorted the lack of pictures in fine style! It's a lovely piece of work and knowing your approach to these things it'll have a simple arrangement on the centre wheel that costs not a lot but works.

Which version of Inkscape are you on now and have you experienced any of the file transfer problems to the Silhouette that have been reported?

I hesitate to be critical but I think the side chains are one link short, unless of course you're representing a Cathcart Circle coach as running in 1897.

Hello Alan I think your right on those safety chains but there was a reason for that honest. No seriously I was going to add hooks to the chains but after an abortive attempt I find my eyes and chunky fingers aren't up to it any more so they will most likely remain hookless and short.

I'm still on an old Windows system (goodness knows which sorry I'm a real tecknophobe) but it runs fairly well for my purposes. The only persistent problem is if I've drawn something on Inkscape and have joined two parts with the union function some times when converting the file to Silhouette the two items become un joined. Anoying but not a real problem as I give each drawing a check over and correct on silhouette before sending it to print.

Edited by Londontram

Great work Londontram,

What kind of adhesive did you use for the laminations? Very very clean construction without any warping!

I use Lemoneen ( not sure if that's spelt right. It's got a longer curering time than other glues so allows a more even drying process. I've got two sheets of glass actually glass table mats from one of those pound land type stores and every item when glued is placed between the two bits of glass with a weight on top and left there for at least 24 hours. Obviously this takes time so I often have two projects on the go so I've got something else to be getting on with.

The main sides are 20 thou with the panel fret and window surround layer 10 thou so with all the layers its about 40 thou and this is reinforced with 40 thou strips inside as you might be able to see in this photo

Edited by Londontram

Had a session with the carriage this afternoon and fitted the last of the door handles and commode handles so apart from the coupling its ready to paint.

So on the strength of that I started cutting out the next project. Already cut on the Silhouette it just needed picking off the sheet with a sharp scalpel. It's an 1865 Caledonian 6 wheel TPO and in the pipe line is its half brother a simular design sorting van

post-17847-0-06064100-1537890730_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Admirable work sir! Well done.

On a different note, i am looking into getting an engraving tip for my cameo 3. Any suggestions? I have seen mentions of a Chomas replacement tip. Is that the one to go for?

As you can understand i need to re-scribe / clean any lines that i have created using the normal blade (as expected since it is meant for cutting and not engraving) when i create items with engraved details (panel lines etc...). I suppose with an engraving tip i ll sort out these issues?

Another question. If i use such a tip to engrave items in a 1st pass, can i replace the tip w/o removing (unloading and thus loosing alignment...) the cutting mat/items and then go about with the normal cutting blade and perform the cuts in a 2nd pass?

• 2 weeks later...

At last I've managed to get a little time with my new toy, it took a few tries, but eventually I was able to cobble together the side and end of a building (trial version)

I didn't get this to go the same route as most of the folks on here as I'm not into scratchbuilding stock. I mostly want it for making buildings on the layout.

This coach building must be catching !

Here is my recent attempt at a 7mm GWR 4 wheel 3rd Class coach in the process of being made on the cutter

attachicon.gifIMG_4944.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4945.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4946.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4947.jpg

Inside bearings will be used and so the wheels are only placed temporarily in the photographs.

Grahame

Slow progress on this coach but here is where I am with it this evening ( usual cruel close-ups ! )

post-20303-0-72542000-1539643778_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-08602900-1539643792_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-20928100-1539643804_thumb.jpg

Grahame

• Like 6

Another couple of hours at the computer today working with Silhouette saw a huge improvement in my designing abilities.

Snap to grid makes things way easier :gamer: . Hopefully tomorrow I can get a bit more time in and start trying layers.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this topic, your skills and dedication are surely appreciated by the less tech savvy like myself, for all the pointers and helpful answers to questions on the subject.

• Like 1