859 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently own a cutting machine?

• Yes
    • No, but I want to in the next 12 months
    • No, I have no plans to buy one
    • I'm undecided at the moment

Hi all,

Sorry for asking again but i am looking for an engraving tip for the Cameo 3. Is the Chomas one the one i should be looking for?

As you can understand, so far i need to re-scribe / clean any engraved lines that i have created using the normal blade (as expected since it is meant for cutting and not engraving) when i create items with engraved details (panel lines, brickwork etc...). I suppose with an engraving tip i ll sort out these issues?

Another question. If i use such a tip to engrave items in a 1st pass, can i replace the tip with the normal blade, without removing (unloading and thus loosing alignment...) the cutting mat/items and then  perform the cuts in a 2nd pass?

Many thanks in advance for your time and replies!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm still procrastinating about buying a cutter - what software (free?) would anyone suggest that I should download and generate some drawing files in? (currently still running windows 7)

I suspect that if I actually had something ready to cut out it would force my hand and cause santa to deliver one!

Best wishes

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Nothing particularly complicated, but the silhouette has been a godsend while working on modernising a Bachmann TPO.

I needed 7 identical window frames (plus 3 more for another project) along with 2 door inserts to fill the hole where the windows were on the model.

The frames were cut from 10 thou plasticard set to single cut, it almost fully cuts through the ten thou just needing a scalpel to finish the separation of the parts

The doors were made up from two layers of 20 thou on double cut, again use of the shilouette made life a lot easier in that it ensured the hole for the window was in exactly the right place. The door was formed as two layers laminated together with the frame added after fitting and filling the joints.

post-54-0-55947800-1544858657_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-03223500-1544858689_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

I'm still procrastinating about buying a cutter - what software (free?) would anyone suggest that I should download and generate some drawing files in? (currently still running windows 7)

I suspect that if I actually had something ready to cut out it would force my hand and cause santa to deliver one!

Best wishes

Richard

Quite a few of us use Inkscape, it's free and Mike Trice did a couple of very useful tutorials, to get us started. The tutorials are listed at the beginning of this thread.

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Best wishes

Richard

I use the free silhouette software, it does everything I have needed so far. Its ability to trace round objects for cutting makes the creation of things like totems a doddle.

What do you intend to use the cutter for?

Hi,

I thought I would try some signal box windows and timber framing overlays for a goods shed (it's a rather ornate goods shed), but the point being that I wanted to see if I could handle the computer side (only being used to producing drawings with Rotring pens on film) before I comited to buying a cutter

Cheers

Richard

• Like 1

I use LibreOffice Draw (which is free and available for Windows - though I use Linux) to create drawings for my Portrait cutter. It is very similar to PowerPoint. L-O Draw can export files in SVG format. Because I am using Linux I then use an extension to Inkscape to drive the Portrait cutter.

IMHO L-O Draw is easier to use than Inkscape - but then I have been using L-O Draw for years and PowerPoint before that.

...R

Edited by Robin2

If you are just experimenting I suggest you trial the (free) Silhouette Studio software as it's relatively simple and well supported with tutorials aimed at complete novices, plus it will demonstrate both the design and cutting elements. Inkscape is more sophisticated but it has a similar look and feel to Silhouette, so once you have grasped the basics of 2D design you should have little difficulty in adapting to it.

If you are just experimenting I suggest you trial the (free) Silhouette Studio software as it's relatively simple and well supported with tutorials aimed at complete novices, plus it will demonstrate both the design and cutting elements. Inkscape is more sophisticated but it has a similar look and feel to Silhouette, so once you have grasped the basics of 2D design you should have little difficulty in adapting to it.

Hi,

Do I need "Bonjour" software that the Silhouette software is trying to download onto my computer - no idea whether it is "safe"

Neo-luddite Jones!

Before I write the main body of this post I have already tried the Search function on this topic and returned a null result.

I am tempted to get a cutter to aid the production of models for my Taff Vale Railway based modelling. As a pensioner I do not want to fork out £250 for something that I may not find suitable for me. The questions therefore are:-

1) what are the pitfalls of buying a second hand cutter?

2) what do I need to watch out for?

3) working in 1:76 and coaches up to 64’’ long which model should I be looking at?

TIA

Tim T

Modelling Cwm Cynon in EM

• RMweb Premium

A Silhouette Portrait should suffice for coaches of 64' in length. You'll have to "print" them vertically as the Portrait is designed for 8" wide by 12" long

Most people on this thread seem to favour the cheaper Portrait over its big brother the Silhouette Cameo

The Portrait is currently available via Amazon at a few pence over £150 including postage. I haven't done an exhaustive search so you may be able to buy one cheaper.

I think I'd be a little careful with a secondhand model as you have no way of knowing whether it is in tip top condition and it is pretty vital when you want to make several cuts over the same area that the previous owner hasn't done anything that might prevent that.

That said, I bought my Portrait as a refurbished item. Unfortunately I can't recall where from although I believe that I did indicate where on this thread when I bought it. I'll see if I can that post and report back.

I made my purchase through Graphtec but they either no longer sell them or have sold out.

Edited by Ray H

I think a secondhand machine is likely to have had a fairly sheltered life, but expect to need a new blade. I'd probably expect one that came with the original box to not have been out of it very much.

There are two models of Portrait, most of the secondhand will be portrait 1's, which only cost about £130 new, the portrait 2 is more expensive, but I can't tell if that's because its better, or just the pound has collapsed against other currencies.

I'll be demoing simple stuff on my portrait at the Stevenage exhibition early in the new year.

Jon

There is a second-hand machine on ebay currently at £51.   

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILHOUETTE-PORTRAIT-PLOTTER-CUTTER/292870264174?hash=item44306d956e:g:n48AAOSwe9FcFOOU:rk:3:pf:0

Seller says it needs a new blade and cutting mat.  

I now have a Portrait but if I were buying again would consider a Silhouette Curio. 

It also does not come with any software! (I asked the seller about this)

Tim T

Edited by timbowilts

• 2 weeks later...

I am also using Inkscape here and it can directly drive the Cameo 3 (at least on Linux, using extensions).

I have downloaded both Inkscape and the Silhouette software - my reasoning being that if I need to produce a drawing (for some buildings, where no drawing is extant) it seems logical to do that in a drawing package, rather than just in the Silhouette software which is specific to just that machine - does that make sense?

cheers

Richard

• RMweb Premium

The silhouette software will print to a printer if you want. 

So far it does all I want, and I just wouldn't be without it now. I used it today to make templates for cutting brass. Draw them, cut styrene, glue to brass, cut round them. 

The silhouette software will print to a printer if you want. 

So far it does all I want, and I just wouldn't be without it now. I used it today to make templates for cutting brass. Draw them, cut styrene, glue to brass, cut round them. 

Many thanks for that, it will save me trying to learn two software packages, unnecessarily.....

something about old dogs and new tricks, if only I could remember what it was ! :scratchhead:

Many thanks for that, it will save me trying to learn two software packages, unnecessarily.....

Will the Silhouette software allow me to do the drawing at a larger size and then do the cutting at a smaller size - ie I usually draw at 7mm/1' (or larger, depending on the item) and then reduce down to 4mm scale.....

cheers

Richard

Will the Silhouette software allow me to do the drawing at a larger size and then do the cutting at a smaller size

In general, with CAD software, the best approach is to draw at full size (i.e. 12" to 1ft).  Then scale by 1/76 to print.  However, you need to careful that small objects, such as a 1" metal window frame, don't become scaled to an impractical size.