858 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently own a cutting machine?

• Yes
    • No, but I want to in the next 12 months
    • No, I have no plans to buy one
    • I'm undecided at the moment

• RMweb Premium

I can peel the middle part from the backing sheet but I need to be able to secure it in place within the letter outline so that I can illuminate the complete character from behind with an LED.

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Ray H said:

I can peel the middle part from the backing sheet but I need to be able to secure it in place within the letter outline so that I can illuminate the complete character from behind with an LED.

Hi

The only way I can see of doing that is to glue it to a piece of transparent material as a backing. Unless of course you add something to secure it to the outer frame like you get with a stencil.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

If you can use another font, search on-line for stencil font, there's hundreds of 'em. Or find a font generator to generate your own. If it is only a few characters, then  scale them up in your favourite drawing package and add the appropriate tabs and scale 'em back down again. Here's a link to a truetype font editor which may help https://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Font-Utils/TrueType-Font-Editor.shtml#download

• RMweb Premium

Out of interest what is the life of a Silloutte Cameo 4 auoblade and can you get replacement blades as oppposed to whole items.

Mine appears to be struggling to cut through 10 thou after about 10 sheets or so.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MJI said:

Does anyone have a drwaing of a Mark 1 pullman gangway endplate?

The bits which rub together on real ones.

IIRC, the Mk1 Pullman used the standard Mk1 rubbing plate. I drew my H0 one up using the drawing in the Parkin Mk1 book, can rescale and ping it over if you want, pm me an email address. 

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, CloggyDog said:

IIRC, the Mk1 Pullman used the standard Mk1 rubbing plate. I drew my H0 one up using the drawing in the Parkin Mk1 book, can rescale and ping it over if you want, pm me an email address. 

Thanks will do when on pc not telephone.  Type of gang way is called Pullman. It is for mark 1s and Swindon DMUs

• RMweb Premium

I did some work with 10 thou plasticard yesterday using my Silhouette Portrait and the successful cut rate decreased as time went on so I've decided it is time to replace the (black) blade.

Although I have eventually found a couple of sources for a new blade I get the impression that finding similar in future may get harder.

The machine isn't seeing much use so I'm wondering whether to just buy a couple of new blades now and accept that before too long the machine may only be good for marking out rather than cutting.

Do any of the newer blades fit the older machines?

• 2 months later...

I have an original Silhouette Portrait and that handles reasonably complex shapes fine. The situation with blades is not quite as simple, certain blades require newer machines, I believe the original blades work in all machines but I'm using a CB09 which is widely available and gets my recommendation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, ChrisH-UK said:

I have an original Silhouette Portrait and that handles reasonably complex shapes fine. The situation with blades is not quite as simple, certain blades require newer machines, I believe the original blades work in all machines but I'm using a CB09 which is widely available and gets my recommendation.

Thank you

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

One thing on interest, I find occasionally a window cut has knicks on it, corners not quite right.

Made of top left right bottom and the two bottom corners.

How do I smooth these out to stop knicks?

Big window on a standard 4 small window over 1 large one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I still haven’t bought a Silhouette, but am achingly close.

Now that I’m more focused, I’ve started re-reading this thread from the beginning for snippets, but being an impatient person, I’m hoping someone can confirm the following understanding.

In the first instance, I will use the machine to cut OO-scale building windows.  I believe I can cut 10 or 15 thou plasticard and get good cut-outs with square corners using the standard blade (which is more a point than a blade).  I expect to laminate sash windows from 2 or 3 layers, in much the same manner as the York Modelling sash window frame kits.

I understand that thicker plasticard will only be scored and not cut through.  I’m presuming that the outer edges of a window could be scored and then snapped, but that the cuts for inner openings would need to be completed by hand.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

When cutting styrene by hand I have always cut inner openings by cutting around the edges then cutting two diagonals across the centre. It makes the centre easier to snap out.

Do the same with the Silhouette but you might have to hand finish the diagonals to ensure they cut through at the centre.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

You can order the machine to cut twice, this will mostly go through the thicker plasticard sheet.

Measure once, cut twice.

The reverse of the usual advice! :)

• Funny 1