859 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently own a cutting machine?

• Yes
    • No, but I want to in the next 12 months
    • No, I have no plans to buy one
    • I'm undecided at the moment

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if JCL envisaged when starting this thread that it would go for 88 pages? I for one would really like to hear your experiences with the Cricut but just in case it takes off as a topic, my suggestion is that you start a new topic for it so it can be discussed in its own right. What do others think?

I have to say I didn't think it would go on more than a dozen or so pages. Before I started the thread I wasn't even sure it was a good idea for a topic and had a conversation with Andy Y as to whether it was worth sticking my neck out. The only real Silhouette cutter modelling information on the internet at the time was from Belgium and in french (which slows you down somewhat when your own french can pretty much get you something to eat and a beer and little else). That initial concern seems silly now!

I may have kicked off the first part of of this, but the rest of the thread is down to everyone else who have experimented with the cutters and put their results on here, and have answered other peoples questions, sometimes over and over, with patience and enthusiasm.

cheers

Jason

• Like 1

Does anyone know what is a reasonable life-expectation for the original blade that comes with a Silhouette Portrait? Mine does not seem to be cutting as well as it did. I have only been cutting 210gsm card. Unfortunately I have no idea how many metres it has cut. The Portrait is about 15 months old but I don't use it often.

Sorry if this has come up earlier in this Thread but it would take many hours to search the whole 89 pages - I did read them all once.

...R

• RMweb Gold

Another what have I done wrong type question

Has anyone experenced an issue like the photo below (on the dxf drawing the curved trusses are symmetrical, yet in each one the cutter has gone off track.

I’m starting to get rather disheartened with the machine, every time I use it I seem to get some sort of miss cut, which rather negates the point of the machine

In this case I think I can get away with it when laminating the two halves, flipping one through 180 degrees and using the good Half as a template to cut the bad half.

post-54-0-39584400-1516704890_thumb.jpeg

I have hit a bit of a problem of late, I have been cutting coach sides and it cuts out two, barely scribes the third and then more or less cuts the 4th. I am using Ver 4 of the Studio software on a Cameo cutter, I could understand it if it wasn't doing much in the middle of the length of the side, but more or less skipping one has left me puzzled. I am putting it through the cutter 4 times and I'm cutting 10 thou plasticard. it's not a problem I had with Ver 3.

Any ideas, Please.

Thanks

SS 

I had a similar problem when I installed Version 4 after accepting the update.

Not certain why it was happening but following my problems I reverted back to the earlier version and all became normal again. I have stayed with it since then.

Grahame

p.s.  I am using a Portrait Cutter

Edited by bgman

• RMweb Premium

I had a similar problem when I installed Version 4 after accepting the update.

Not certain why it was happening but following my problems I reverted back to the earlier version and all became normal again. I have stayed with it since then.

Grahame

p.s. I am using a Portrait Cutter

Thanks, I will see if I can back date to ver 3.

Edit, for predictive text.

Edited by Siberian Snooper

Further to my previous posts regarding the (potentially  :offtopic: Cricut Explore Air) I gave it a go today cutting some black 0.020" (0.5mm) styrene sheet. It took a bit of fiddling to get a 'custom material' set with a high enough force and multiple passes, but it did work [1].

[1] - by 'work' I mean that the cut was clearly visible on the back of the styrene, but not 100% through. The cut was complete by pressing with a fingernail to 'snap' one edge, then the rest came out easily.

I was cutting a large square (5 x 5cm), so I hope it will be just a successful on smaller bits for modifying 00-gauge models.

I found that 'designs' prepared in Xara Designer Pro (my 'go to' drawing / drafting package) can be saved as an SVG file. This file was then imported into the Cricut design software (web based) where it was still the correct size - which was a bit of a bonus.

Ian

I tend not to post on this forum now for various reasons but I thought being a somewhat more appreciative audience I thought I'd share these few with you. All have been drawn on Inkscape and cut on the Silhouette.

The first is a Caledonian diagram 18 well wagon one of three built around 1900 for the principle purpose of carrying propellers.

attachicon.gifWell wagon.jpg

The wagon and below one of the few original pictures that excist of the original

attachicon.gifWell wagon original picture.jpg

A view of the well wagon well showing the exposed axles as on the original dictating the need to build the axle guards as part of the solebars, etched W irons being unsuitable for use on this.

attachicon.gifwell wagon well.jpg

A final picture of the well wagon with the load fixed and chained in place

attachicon.gifChain fitted.jpg

Still at this stage being build a 1910 period diagram 67 4 wheel box van and the extended 6 wheel diagram 80 both being tested for height on there W irons.

attachicon.gifD67 and D80 together.jpg

The diagram 67 box van the Caledonian standard box van

attachicon.gifD67 van.jpg

An early 1903 pattern with inside frame diagram 67 van left and a pre diagram book 6 ton box van dating from about 1883 this has a roof hatch and a door on one side only

attachicon.gifDiagram 67 and pre diagram vans.jpg

A Caledonian diagram 60 steel/rail carrying wagon and behind it the Caledonian diagram 12 empty barrel wagon

attachicon.gifdiagram 60 wagon.jpg

Finally a diagram 84 refrigerator (Chuck the ice through the roof hatch) van this time in NPCS brown as these were designed to run with passenger trains.

attachicon.gifNCPS brown.jpg

Sorry there's so many pictures, Steve

Do you have any updates on your Caledonian Dia 67 Goods Vans at all? I've been looking at adding some of these vans to my now growing Scottish wagon scene :)

Garethp8873.

Do you have any updates on your Caledonian Dia 67 Goods Vans at all? I've been looking at adding some of these vans to my now growing Scottish wagon scene :)

Garethp8873.

Which are you after early cir 1900 inside frame or late cir 1910 with heavy out side frame?

Having scanned a 4mm scale drawing and saved it as a .png, imported into Inkscape, hand traced the coach side, how do you increase the size 175% before sending to the Silhouette cameo for cutting ? OR alternatively is it possible to increase the size 175% in the Silhouette program ?

Kerry

• RMweb Gold

Having scanned a 4mm scale drawing and saved it as a .png, imported into Inkscape, hand traced the coach side, how do you increase the size 175% before sending to the Silhouette cameo for cutting ? OR alternatively is it possible to increase the size 175% in the Silhouette program ?

Kerry

I follow a lot of the instruction which Mike Trice laid out in various threads such as this.  

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/114528-using-inkscape-to-produce-cutting-files-a-worked-example/?hl=inkscape

Personally I would have imported the drawing and scaled it to the required size rather than the other way around. I suppose you could open another layer and draw an outline at the required scale then resize your drawing to that, but it might well be out of shape if you're not careful.

I'm sure someone here has much more knowledge to help you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I bought two cutting mats with the Portrait and am still on the first but the tack is beginning to fade.

I tried some 3M spray that I've had for years and don't think it has made any difference - the current low temperature could be partly to blame, but the age of the aerosol's content is more likely the culprit.

Whilst I haven't given up the idea of trying a spray adhesive again albeit from a fresh purchase, I've been looking at mats on the well known electronic auction house.

There seems to be a few types/suppliers (and numerous sellers). Does anyone have any experience of the types/suppliers and which are good and which aren't good buys?

I think a sheet of card sprayed with spray-mount will also work.

I have some expensive glue - 3M Scotch Weld - that seems to stay sticky forever. I must try it for this purpose sometime. I suspect it is the same as Copydex

...R

Hi all,

I haven't done much with the cutter since my demo at Pontefract Show a month or so ago. Today my good lady suggested that I use the Cameo to try out a template for a motion plate for the J6 that I am building. Like many I downloaded the latest version of Silhouette Studio and I find it hard going.

But having finally got used to where things are and how to resize my imported projects so that they match the Inkscape original size, today I tried out the multiple pass function upping the final cut to 6 passes. 

The piece that I was cutting was on a scrap of 20 thou fairly small and not very complex. So the series of cuts (starting at blade depth 1 and pressure 15 and working my way up to blade depth 10 and pressure 33) only took about 15 minutes in total. When it had finished I decided to run the final cut again (still set on 6 passes).

You can imagine my surprise when after the first couple of passes, the piece popped out of the cutting mat the blade having cut right through. I paused the job an d removed the blade to lift our the piece and then set it running again (I had copied the drawing so I had two motion plate pieces just in case I needed to laminate them). The same thing happened with the next one so I paused and then subsequently cancelled the job.

I have never been able to cut through 20 thou before and what's more remarkable is that I was using my original blade not the higher spec replacement that I bought. The only thing that's different is the new Silhouette Software and it's ability to apply multiple passes of each cut (as opposed to the old double cut setting).

I had set the first couple of cuts to 3 passes and then the next few to 4 passes with the final cut upped to 6 passes. I plan to try something else to see if it was a fluke or not. I will keep you posted.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi all,

I haven't done much with the cutter since my demo at Pontefract Show a month or so ago. Today my good lady suggested that I use the Cameo to try out a template for a motion plate for the J6 that I am building. Like many I downloaded the latest version of Silhouette Studio and I find it hard going.

But having finally got used to where things are and how to resize my imported projects so that they match the Inkscape original size, today I tried out the multiple pass function upping the final cut to 6 passes. 

The piece that I was cutting was on a scrap of 20 thou fairly small and not very complex. So the series of cuts (starting at blade depth 1 and pressure 15 and working my way up to blade depth 10 and pressure 33) only took about 15 minutes in total. When it had finished I decided to run the final cut again (still set on 6 passes).

You can imagine my surprise when after the first couple of passes, the piece popped out of the cutting mat the blade having cut right through. I paused the job an d removed the blade to lift our the piece and then set it running again (I had copied the drawing so I had two motion plate pieces just in case I needed to laminate them). The same thing happened with the next one so I paused and then subsequently cancelled the job.

I have never been able to cut through 20 thou before and what's more remarkable is that I was using my original blade not the higher spec replacement that I bought. The only thing that's different is the new Silhouette Software and it's ability to apply multiple passes of each cut (as opposed to the old double cut setting).

I had set the first couple of cuts to 3 passes and then the next few to 4 passes with the final cut upped to 6 passes. I plan to try something else to see if it was a fluke or not. I will keep you posted.

Rob,

Good to see you back on the Cameo ... How many cuts did it need to successfully cut through 20-thou styrene? I can't make that out from your posting. And what was the pressure setting?

With my Cricut 5-cuts just about got through 20-thou but not enough for the shape to pop out like you describe. I'm curious to know if can 'copy' your settings over to the Cricut to completely cut through 20-thou.

Ian

The only thing that's different is the new Silhouette Software and it's ability to apply multiple passes of each cut (as opposed to the old double cut setting).

I can't use the Silhouette software because it won't work on Linux.  I have an extension for Inkscape that can drive the cutter directly and it allows up to 8 repeats.

...R

Hi all,

What version of Studio is this new one with selectable multi cuts? I have v3.8.64ss but help says no upgrades are available

• RMweb Premium

My Studio software (which I downloaded at Christmas) is release 4.1.206ss

Same here.  This version allows blade depth settings of up to 20 (deep cut blade) and selecting craft foam I am able to cut 2mm foam on my portrait!

• RMweb Premium

My Studio software (which I downloaded at Christmas) is release 4.1.206ss

When I tried this version, it would not cut towards the centre of the carriage on my Cameo, so t reverted back to the last 3# version,following advice on this thread.