859 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently own a cutting machine?

• Yes
    • No, but I want to in the next 12 months
    • No, I have no plans to buy one
    • I'm undecided at the moment

• RMweb Premium

Seem to have solved the problem.

Updated Studio V3 to V4.1 and importing DXF R12 and the curves / arcs appear to be ok on a few trials.

Is Ver 4.1 cutting right across a sheet now? When I tried it awhile ago, it was missing bits out.

Is Ver 4.1 cutting right across a sheet now? When I tried it awhile ago, it was missing bits out.

I don't have a problem with 4.1.. My build is 4.1.206ss. I don't know if there has been a patch to solve the problem you refer to but this version has been the current on since December 17

I sent off f

I came across this <https://www.ebay.co....AAAOSwZvRacVnA>and wondered if it would be suitable for my Silhouette Portrait?

Anyone have any thoughts?  It's £3.72 delivered!

Stan

I sent off for something similar a while back. Blade holder and some blades. Works fine and a lot cheaper than the 'genuine' silhouette. Not sure how this buying from China direct works but all the low cost items I have bought have been delivered pretty quickly. Old story, do not spend more than you can afford to lose. Interestingly I have had no bad deals using eBay, ie money taken and no product. A few not up to scratch, but at prices so low not worht hasseling over.

Just remember Caveat Emptor - buyer beware; but in practise no worse than a Boot fair purchase.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I need a glueing guide for my layers of 10 thou plasticard cut on my cameo. Let me explain, I need to cut over 100 complex shapes for station canopy supports and want to ensure they line up accurately before applying the de-limonene.

The items will be rectangles about 30mm x 70mm with the cut component embedded within it, a bit like some laser cut building kit sheets. Up to 8 sheets will make up the final canopy support.

What I am thinking of is a 'L' shaped jig with an accurately machined internal 90 degree angle and vertical inside sides. 

The idea is I stack a number of layers in the jig and apply solvent to the outer edges which will be part of the final component. Let it set, cut off the unwanted bits and apply more solvent to the unglued edges, the result, hopefully is a neat final assembly.

does such a jig exist?. It would only need to be a few millimetres thick

I came across this <https://www.ebay.co....AAAOSwZvRacVnA>and wondered if it would be suitable for my Silhouette Portrait?

Stan

There's cheap and there's cheap. I'm concerned that it doesn't mention what machine its for.

This is a tad more expensive, but it does mention silhouette and has more blades.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CB09-Graphtec-Silhouette-Plotter-Holder-5Pcs-Vinyl-Cutter-Blades-30-45-60/263327104455?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D50545%26meid%3Dedb0382dc6c84016987a1be37548c695%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D352220387003%26itm%3D263327104455&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Its still China, however...

• RMweb Gold

[snip]

I have never been able to cut through 20 thou before and what's more remarkable is that I was using my original blade not the higher spec replacement that I bought. The only thing that's different is the new Silhouette Software and it's ability to apply multiple passes of each cut (as opposed to the old double cut setting).

I had set the first couple of cuts to 3 passes and then the next few to 4 passes with the final cut upped to 6 passes. I plan to try something else to see if it was a fluke or not. I will keep you posted.

Rob, I was intrigued by this when you first posted it. I wonder if you've had a chance to see if you could replicate it on later cuts?

Stan

I ordered one and it arrived this week..

post-10660-0-39114700-1524904605_thumb.jpg

..only thing is that the blade holder is too slim for the Portrait. Anyone got a work around or should I order something else?

• RMweb Premium

I ordered one and it arrived this week..

attachicon.gifIMG_0918.jpg

..only thing is that the blade holder is too slim for the Portrait. Anyone got a work around or should I order something else?

Hi

Could you make a collar using tube slit down one side so when it’s in the machine the slit closes up and clamps the body?

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

Build it up with some insulating tape?

You also need to make sure that the blade sits at the right height.

...R

Edited by Robin2

I'm having a go at building the Barnum carriage JCL drew up a few years back... the Studio software seems to have an automatic re-scaling feature going on that is, to be honest, absolutely driving me insane.  Is there a way of turning the blarn' thing off? 

Example:

I opened up the drawing for the carriage sides in Studio, I entered in the size of the sheet of plastic I'd be cutting on, and suddenly the drawing re-sizes to a dimension patently not 240mm (60' in 4mm).... more like 187.35mm.  It's a simple matter to rescale it of course but it strikes me as something I shouldn't have to do and there's nothing more frustrating than opening the drawing, rescaling it, cutting it and then finding that you've mis-scaled or mis-measured and have to go back and do it over again. 

Silhouette Studio, on the off-chance you're reading this thread, please get rid of this auto-scale thing!

I'm having a go at building the Barnum carriage JCL drew up a few years back... the Studio software seems to have an automatic re-scaling feature going on that is, to be honest, absolutely driving me insane.  Is there a way of turning the blarn' thing off? 

Example:

I opened up the drawing for the carriage sides in Studio, I entered in the size of the sheet of plastic I'd be cutting on, and suddenly the drawing re-sizes to a dimension patently not 240mm (60' in 4mm).... more like 187.35mm.  It's a simple matter to rescale it of course but it strikes me as something I shouldn't have to do and there's nothing more frustrating than opening the drawing, rescaling it, cutting it and then finding that you've mis-scaled or mis-measured and have to go back and do it over again. 

Silhouette Studio, on the off-chance you're reading this thread, please get rid of this auto-scale thing!

What version of studio are you using. In Studio 2 I had a similar problem with dxf files from Autocad. If you goto the drop down menu 'Edit', select Preferences, goto the import tab and in the 'Open' option select centered or as-is rather than fit to page. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Sorry for bothering you guys, but I am thinking on buying a cutting plotter and I've got some questions:

Which model would you recommend ? Silhouette Cameo , Silhouette Portrait, other model ?...

Did you try to use self-adhesive vinyl decals cut with the Silhouette devices? How good was the result?

Thanks for you help and patience.

Kind Regards,

Juan.

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

Sorry for bothering you guys, but I am thinking on buying a cutting plotter and I've got some questions:

Which model would you recommend ? Silhouette Cameo , Silhouette Portrait, other model ?...

Did you try to use self-adhesive vinyl decals cut with the Silhouette devices? How good was the result?

Kind Regards,

Juan.

You should probably include the Cricut Explore Air in your list. Cricut improved their product after I bought a Portrait, which I am very happy with BTW. Edited by dhjgreen

Hello,

Kind Regards,

Juan.

Juan,

I've the Cricut Explorer Air, which you can (could?) pick up at any local HobbyCraft shop. They may now only have the later version 2 machine (2x the speed & ~£40 more expensive). It cuts over a 12x12 inch area (can do 12x24 with a larger mat) and are quite robust. I've had it cutting 0.5mm styrene with any major problems. The software is internet based (it runs inside your browser) and the drawing capabilities seem a little limited. However, it imports SVG files, so I create all my work in a different program and import that into the Cricut software.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

Kind Regards,

Juan.

I went for the Cameo, not had any issues cutting in the middle.

I have printed onto inkjet printable self adhesive vinyl with good results. Very slight cockling on more complex shapes but not noticeable once the vinyl is applied.  Printing to an inkjet from the silhouette software makes it easy to modify the design with the cutting pattern.

I went for the Cameo, not had any issues cutting in the middle.

I have printed onto inkjet printable self adhesive vinyl with good results. Very slight cockling on more complex shapes but not noticeable once the vinyl is applied.  Printing to an inkjet from the silhouette software makes it easy to modify the design with the cutting pattern.

Another one here who has the Cameo (II) and not noticed any issues cutting in the middle....