795 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently own a cutting machine?

• Yes
    • No, but I want to in the next 12 months
    • No, I have no plans to buy one
    • I'm undecided at the moment

A lot of your questions apply to cutting styrene with a modelling knife and are not specific to using a Cameo. If you look at a typical modelling knife (or most knives for that matter) the blade is ground to be a taper. Using one of these knives results in a "V" being cut in the styrene. If cut all the way through then the cut edge will be tapered, if the styrene is just scored and "snapped" then the edge is probably straighter. The width of the "V" is down to the blade used or more accurately how it is ground. So to answer the bulk of your questions, what would you do if cutting the parts out by hand? The Cameo is only automating this process.

• Like 1

On 23/05/2020 at 08:55, aardvark said:

With my normal caveat, I wonder whether you can avoid going around corners altogether.

If cutting a straight line is ... err ... straightforward, then would it be possible to separate a design into layers featuring only parallel lines, i.e. have one set of layers with increasing pressure/depth for cut lines that all run in the same direction, then another set of layers for perpendicular lines.

It would be unexpectedly useful if the cutter followed the direction of the drawn vectors (start here, end here).

Irrespective, the spurious line is a ... err ... Major concern.

Hi

That’s how I’ve done all mine as I found the blade just doesn’t work properly when turning corners.

Cheers

Paul

• Thanks 1

Hi Mike

If cutting the notches by hand I would use a chisel style knife blade which was flat on one edge, or a razor saw. I also know when I cut with a regular knife I won't get a result that is reproducible 50 times in a row, maybe a 66% hit rate if I'm lucky.

When it comes to fold lines, I was trying to find out if anyone had tried folds from Cameo scored or cut styrene and what their experience had been and if certain settings were more successful than others. 

14 hours ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

That’s how I’ve done all mine as I found the blade just doesn’t work properly when turning corners.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul. Presuming that you are using the Kraft blade, what sort of thickness do you manage to cut successfully? Do you have any problems getting the blade with undercut/overcut of internal corners? Any clever technique for aligning the blade for the first cut in each set?

cheers ...

9 hours ago, aardvark said:

Thanks Paul. Presuming that you are using the Kraft blade, what sort of thickness do you manage to cut successfully? Do you have any problems getting the blade with undercut/overcut of internal corners? Any clever technique for aligning the blade for the first cut in each set?

cheers ...

Hi

I have the Curio cutter with the standard blade. I’ve managed to cut right through 10 thou but only score anything thicker.

For aligning the blade I set a cut line up in the same direction and ensure it’s done first in a scrap area of the sheet.

Cheers

Paul

• Thanks 1