Simond

• 2 weeks later...

New control panel, details in the Arduino thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82978-arduino-applications-and-programs/?p=3440962

Some work to do, but good progress! The points slave and lighting slave both work, and I now have the switches in place to program the master. Then I need to revisit the turntable controller, and implement the code that “releases” the stepper, to stop it making an annoying whistling noise.

More soon

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 2

Went to Brzzl today, very good show, met & remet many friends & acquaintances, and spent a few bob... a Scorpio bogie iron mink, a tank wagon kit from JPL, and rods & motors from Premier for the mogul and prairie kits in my stash.

I also purchased the TouchCab app, which I understood to have been withdrawn, but which is very clearly available (£9.99), and which allows control of Lenz DCC systems wirelessly via an iPad or iPhone. All those old phones become cheap wireless throttles! I believe there is an Android version too.

Just reinstalled it and all working fine. When I’ve sorted out the Arduino bits and pieces, I’ll spend a bit of time setting it all up nicely.

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 5

Hi Simon,

I wouldn't be without Touchcab, no leads, ease of use and even I could set it up without breaking into a sweat. I haven't heard any news of it being withdrawn, I certainly hope not fingers crossed.

All the best,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

I had the free version some years ago, and it ceased working at some point, when my iDevices updated.  I tried to fix it, and found that I could not.  I was talking to Simon Thompson at the show, and he showed me it working on his "Back End" layout, so I paid the price...

very happy with it, and the paid version seems to have been developed from where the free version was when I was using it. 

I do need to sort out my JMRI thing so I can back up all the loco decoder settings.

atb

Simon

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not much tbh.  Been working on the control system (see the Arduino thread) and ran into a few snags, just at the point of saying “yes, sorted”, so that’s still occupying my modelling time.  And software doesn’t photograph too well...

but hang in there!

best

simon

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Update on the Arduino thread.  

We have functionality on PD again!!

I hope the lights and turntable will be fully functional by next weekend, and it’ll be warm enough to do something in the garage again soon, so I’ll be firing up the laser to cut smoke hoods, and will be installing the lights in the roof.

I also did my first etched brass last week.  This had nothing to do with modelling!  Assuming it turns out something like I planned, I’m more confident to do the etches for the loco shed, which will include the frames & handrails for the roof walkways, door hinges and hinge straps, and a few other bits & bobs.  The artwork that I received from Killybegs of this parish when he was doing his fabulous 4mm version will help enormously.

best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

How are things progressing with Port Dinllaen these days? All seems a little quiet - you haven't been out enjoying yourself <wispers> away from modelling railways</wispers> have you :)

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Rich, 

thanks for the thoughts!

I tend to do less modelling in the summer as I enjoy motorcycling and boating, and one of my pals has a garden line which we run every Thursday if the weather’s ok.  

Somehow, this year, the mojo has been a bit lacking, and this wasn’t helped by my aged mum needing rather more of my time.  

Anyway, I’m getting my nose back into things, so I hope there will be some stuff to post in the not-too-distant future.

cheers

Simon

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Simond said:

Thanks Chris,

unfortunately not, she died peacefully a week ago.  

She was 93, mercifully in no pain, I was with her.

Atb

Simon

Simon,

Sorry to hear that.  It does not matter how old they are when they go, you still miss them.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/10/2019 at 23:10, Simond said:

Hi Rich,

Vallejo Model Color, acrylics.  Learning with them, finding the fast drying times a benefit, but takes a bit of getting used to.

atb

Simon

Simon

Deepest condolences for your loss (apologies for only just seeing your news).

Turning to happier matters, I've also started using Vallejo paints. Didn't get on with them to start with but after making a wet palette things much improved.

My wet palette is a Chinese takeaway plastic container (with lid), a 10mm (ish) thick foam sponge in the base, and a layer of greaseproof paper on top. Put some water in the base of the container, it will dampen the greaseproof paper. Put blobs of paint on the greaseproof paper and mix to suit. 

The damp paper keeps the paint workable for hours. Putting the lid on has, for me, kept it workable for 6 weeks. HTH.

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Chris, 

thanks for the kind thoughts.

thanks also for the wet palette description.  I had done something similar when I first started using acrylics, though it was somewhat simpler, and less sophisticated; I used greaseproof paper, but simply laid it on a folded piece of wet kitchen roll, on a saucer.  It worked very well for a session, less well with another saucer laid over the top overnight.  I can imagine that a proper, close-able container would be hugely better.

I’m slowly building up a collection of paints.  They clearly can be mixed, but it seems to me that having the right base colour straight out of the tube is the way to go.  This makes subsequent washes & drybrushing somewhat easier.  Of course it does mean you need a lot of paints...

atb

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all.

after many months of “Monkey on my back” with the Arduino - controlled t/t, I finally sorted & reinstalled it yesterday.  Hoorah!  Frankly, it wasn’t that difficult, it just needed doing.  Anyway, I’ve done it and will post the code in the appropriate thread.   Link thingy below.  Need to do the final link in that chain, the lights.  Not today.

As a reward for clearing the circuit board off the workbench, I started a Parkside Dundas Mica A meat van, I intend to have a short rake of them eventually, but have one for now.  There has been a recent discussion about springing PD wagons, I think I’ll give it a try.  Will report back later.

atb

Simon

edit - link for PD wagons

Edited by Simond
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Your wish...

image.jpg.2b7016859e27f8c9f5fbed7d05aaf9b0.jpg

What we have here are the two solebars with chunks of 1.5mm PK glued behind the springs.  I did them this morning and have been out for 6 hours, so they should be ok to carve & drill.  This creates a block about 4.5 thick, but only 2mm wide at the buckle of the moulded spring.

I have exactly 4 Kadee springs, which are 1.75 dia x 4.6 free length.  

The pockets will therefore need to be about 1.8mm dia

The axleboxes have been stuck to the square pieces (9&10 per the PD instructions) and filed so the axleboxes will slide up over the moulded plastic springs. 

The bearings have been placed through the axle box backs (8).

so now I need to work out how to drill 4 pairs of matching holes in axleboxes & spring buckles, and then assemble them without gluing it all up solid or losing one of the springs.

more soon

atb

Simon

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1