Simond

Well, you learn something new old every day.  I thought the “stuff” was called “frisk” but apparently, it’s “frisket” for which there is a Wikipedia page. 

Dave,

thanks for the link.

Mikkel, 

yes, lettering etc is a key challenge.  There are those who can exquisitely signwrite a Z gauge Advert on a car door with shading, but I’m not such a person.  Technology is the route I need to take, technology is of course capable of anything one is prepared to pay for.  The trick is finding & adapting something at reasonable cost to achieve what is wanted.

i wonder if an inkjet printer could be adapted for lettering vehicles...  It would be much better than stencils, if it could be made to work...

Some kind of universal numerically-controlled 3-axis table, with interchangeable heads, milling/drilling, laser, rivetter, inkjet, watercutter, these might benefit from 2 extra axes to swivel the line of action out of the X-Y plane.  Accuracy in the micron range is achievable, so you’d want that too.  Direct CAD to.CAM conversion in 3D is a necessity, because tool command programming in G Code takes quite a while.

what was I saying about  cost vs capability...?

atb

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

Apologies if this is too late to be of use.

I was looking through my newly purchased copy of "The 2-8-0 Tank Papers" (Ian Sixsmith, Irwell Press) and noticed three photos that include 35 ton hoists:

p26, Worcester

p43, St Blazey

p61, Worcester

None of them is really a shot of the hoist itself, rather the engines under them.

You can see a fair bit of the hoists though, so may be of use.

Cheers

Peter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

More than "a little bit of an update", I think!

Lot of atmosphere in the internal shot, I like the loco looming in the distance. The stationary boiler looks like it's of Dean parentage...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago, I recall a picture in an article on loco construction, in maybe MRC, showing a heap of brass bits that the builder had made & rejected.  It left a mark on me!

image.jpg.318193501f6814fb0483223b9cc4ec55.jpg

this lot is going in the bin.  If I ever need to make another part, I have the CAD.  I’ll keep the spare louvres, they might find a home somewhere.

And slating has started!

image.jpg.4157d15141d3580a41479959f7975baa.jpg

its odd, a couple of rows are not lying down flat.  Tiny drop of CA on a cocktail stick in a few places will sort that, I think.

the slates look darker (to me) than the photo.

atb

Simon

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Gents,

useful criticism, even if it’s not what I wanted to hear, as I’ve cut 10 sheets of them.

The slates are 24 x 12” (Duchess size) and the spacing between them is 0.3mm plus the width of the laser, plus any “burn back”.  They’re difficult to measure but around 0.4mm. I guess that translates to nearly 3/4” in the real world.  It’s a long time since I was on a slated roof, and I’ve no urge to try, but I’m guessing that an eighth to a quarter might be typical for hand cut , hand laid slates.

Right ho, we’ll get some more grey card (it’s a strange slightly metallic effect - apparently “pearlescent”) and have a go with just the cut lines.  I’ll need some more violet acrylic to give it a hint of colour too.  

They’ll cut quicker, anyway!

Watch this space, I currently have no more material to experiment with.

cheers

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Thanks Dave, we’ll have to see what it looks like when I cut some more.

Free to good home

large quantity (about 5500)  of Duchess slates 14 x 7 x 0.35mm thick, 

suitable for 7mm FS (or S7 :) ) 

unfortunately, they are spaced out on their strips...

image.jpg.e2f9b0a9384d06224d628d8ddb7a0a70.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Simond said:

Years ago, I recall a picture in an article on loco construction, in maybe MRC, showing a heap of brass bits that the builder had made & rejected.  It left a mark on me!

image.jpg.318193501f6814fb0483223b9cc4ec55.jpg

this lot is going in the bin.  If I ever need to make another part, I have the CAD.  I’ll keep the spare louvres, they might find a home somewhere.

It would be an interesting modelling challenge - build something out of your scraps and off-cuts.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 03/05/2021 at 12:15, daifly said:

Current practice is apparently 1-5mm with 3mm the norm. The edges are more pronounced with the bevelling effect of the edge cutting. 

image.png.655580503c454bb70c6d900c1c4dcdab.png

Dave

They look like Spanish ones.