Simond

Thanks

roof vent “blades” were cut from very thin ply, the uprights were cut from MDF with slots.  They actually assembled ok, but I needed to square them off on a disc sander before I could use them.  I think I’ve got an unpainted one & if I can find it I’ll post a picture to show how it goes together.

atb

Simon

• Like 5

Well, got back to the roof tonight to find that my exquisitely sharp, flat roof panel had gone a bit curly.  

I ironed it, and finished the slating, and it’s now drying for 24 hours under a pile of books…

image.jpeg.6d2330539a0780705c4e143cf3c0df23.jpeg

image.jpeg.15e51e37c27ba9971eb5b527e5392ff8.jpeg

Hopefully, it’ll stay flat - more news tomorrow!

atb

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Hi Mikkel,

Annoying, yes, it was, but more concerning really.  I’d have been more than a bit hacked off if the progress I’ve made were to be scrapped.  It may still happen…

iron it, literally?  Yes, I put a tea-towel (one of the slightly furry ones - I guess the same exists in your corner of the planet!) on the worktop, and put the roof slate-side-down on that, and another tea-towel (more a glass cloth, not furry at all) on top, doubled over, and attacked it with a steam iron.  This did teach it some manners and it then lay down.  The problem, I guess, was that the glue had dampened the card, which had then dried unevenly, and it had 3D form, domes and hollows, which won’t go away without some drastic action.

image.jpeg.0ebf1ebaa16f58b36a5a36e3f565fa01.jpeg

the sixteen books there form part of a wider collection, I’m a sucker for a good second-hand bookshop…

cheers

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, Simond said:

Well, I didn’t give it 24 hours, more like 20, and a quick trim round the inside of the clerestory, and…

image.jpeg.af15bb0338aab4605a166b7262e2d29c.jpeg

quite pleased with that :)

Nicely saved Simon and looking the part again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress…

image.jpeg.585e9c22a2246a54c323b80c6b40686c.jpeg

image.jpg.376332d81c52a2226b7088bcfa81d575.jpg

per the discussion with Chris, and with the aid of a couple of pals, the slate panels were fixed to the roof using “wet” contact adhesive, and held til the glue had grabbed.  The office and fitters’ shop has also been partially roofed, the glazed part will follow.  Desks & filing cabinets given a dose of rattle can.

fitting benches and a lathe & pillar drill next I think, along with some lights and rainwater goods.

that leaves the walkways, smoke stacks, hinges for the main doors, and flashing to do…

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

Simon, you'll be needing Paul Trotwood's books on "GWR Filing Cabinet Liveries". Sold out, but Vol 4 is on ebay at £100. Sadly he doesn't cover the interiors, which is a real disappointment.

• Funny 6

• 2 months later...

Progress on Porth Dinllaen took second place to an outing to Fylde coast to visit the home of the EM model of Lime Street, courtesy of John Holden & the Lime Street crew.

Train from Folkestone to Blackpool on Friday, visit to Tower models (tempted but did not spend…) and a Tram ride to Lytham St Annes, where we found an excellent bar, “Number Fifteen”, thence to our apartment, then a cracking chippy for dinner, and a couple more pints before bed.

Saturday breakfast overlooking the beach, down to John’s place, and a truly special day looking at, and learning to operate what can only be described as a magnificent model. It is visually spectacular, atmospheric, and combines prototype fidelity with an electronic routing & control system which makes operation not only pretty much idiot proof, but thoroughly enjoyable too.

herewith a few photos:

495A1797-F5CD-413D-9286-733B7AF8B550.jpeg.e03770b38b1ed53cdd73d3eb01b4073d.jpeg

D23F6EA1-D597-443B-B2BB-B1FE9536E3D8.jpeg.6b44b79a7838752f03a77d2eaf88e1b0.jpeg

84A5C14C-892A-4270-8983-9DB22093B791.jpeg.18e4741fce196c763ffb0e10df94aaf4.jpeg

There are a great deal more photos of the visit on the RMWeb thread at Lime Street Station

from which I pinched one photo,

me, Jon Fitness, Noel, Les, John H, Andrew Green, David Morgan, Steve & Alan Kelsall

image.jpeg.275c6bc21e627c4ef5642b27dedaa6dc.jpeg

and of course, you can see much much more about this fantastic model on that Thread

Thanks once again to John and the Lime Street crew for their generous hospitality and a truly memorable day!
atb
Simon

Last

Edited by Simond
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Well done to Andy & co for getting RMW up again.  

damn shame that having uploaded the photos of our trip to see Lime St, I cleared them off the phone…

the startling incompetence of the hosting service beggars belief.  

atb

Simon

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Best of luck, I had a stent fitted after a Heart Attack that gave me no noticeable warning symptoms nearly 17 years ago so I can understand how you feel. The thing that amazed me was just how long it took to get back to normal.

I never returned to work full time (thanks to my then chief who said I could work from home and only go into the office when I felt that I could) and retired about 5 years later.

At least the NHS have a record of your "problem" so you're probably better off than all those who don't know what's around the next corner, so to speak.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2