A few shades for modern HST liveries - Fag Packet and MML

On 23/02/2021 at 11:40, James Makin said:

For the later Barbie livery the First decals are a larger size but I would hope Steve @ Railtec may be up for tinkering with the decals one day! A few others online have already modelled Barbie (all versions), there’s a guy on eBay flogging them occasionally too so someones had a go at the transfers themselves. At the end of the day you could just print the First transfers without the ‘gold’ element and they’d look decent enough in any event!

I hope Railtec do a pack for the Barbie one day, but there is no point whatsoever asking them as they get about 200 requests a day. I'd like them to do the First decals and the pink swoosh elements and the gold and pink band so its a single colour blue spray and then a transfer pack over the top. It was a bit weird that they did the shorter lived "fag pack" ahead of the Barbie style as fag-pack was available as RTR (Barbie wasn't, unless you count the toys using the 1975 Hornby moulding) but I guess he was looking at the loco-hauled market and did the HST as an add on.

Edited by fiftyfour fiftyfour

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

I hope Railtec do a pack for the Barbie one day, but there is no point whatsoever asking them as they get about 200 requests a day. I'd like them to do the First decals and the pink swoosh elements and the gold and pink band so its a single colour blue spray and then a transfer pack over the top. It was a bit weird that they did the shorter lived "fag pack" ahead of the Barbie style as fag-pack was available as RTR (Barbie wasn't, unless you count the toys using the 1975 Hornby moulding) but I guess he was looking at the loco-hauled market and did the HST as an add on.

Absolutely! I know Steve at Railtec is rushed off his feet working on requests alongside the main range!

Great point on the swoosh elements too - the ones I've seen modelled do have variable results as there's a lot of skill in getting the curves just right.

Railtec did the Fag Packet transfers because of me! I drew up the designs in CorelDraw back in 2013 and then kept pestering Steve to do them, he then worked his magic on turning my files into something that could be used for gold transfer printing and the rest was history - happy days! :lol:

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

On 27/11/2013 at 11:18, GarrettTheThief said:

3)

Hornby are the only ones who did RtR power cars in the Midland Mainline blue livery, but only using the older tooling.  I made a point move away from these models and I've never looked back (even if I wanted to model a fictional region and built a "toy"-like layout, I'd still favour the Lima and new Hornby models AND the scale-length Mk3 coaches).  So guess what?  Yeah, I want to repaint some Lima power cars.  And yeah, I have trouble nailing the blue shade.  I was thinking of mixing Tamiya medium blue with black and black green.

After doing a bit of recent research, Humbrol 104 Oxford Blue seems to be a close match.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 23/02/2021 at 10:41, Rhydgaled said:

If you haven't already weathered them, could you make sure to grab some pics before you do please? Mine will not be weathered, although if my GWT respray goes well I am toying with the idea of doing a fictional version of Swallow livery with a 91-style white front end which if I go through with it will need some light weathering on the white bits.

Hi!

Just remembered about this thread, I've finished off my GWT power cars the other week, and put some pics in my Workbench thread - 

They were quite fun to spray but took a lot of care and finishing in getting sharp paint edges to the livery but well worth it, hoping Hornby may do this RTR someday!

51073704711_bb46a4e400_k.jpgGreat Western HST Power Cars by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

I did also take some snaps before the weathering went on, here's one of the waterslide decal stage in progress, but I wouldn't take note of the actual colours as they are much more yellow in my workbench light than in natural daylight etcs!

51073806702_22fdc13c33_k.jpgGreat Western HST Power Cars by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Then once varnished over and weathered, reassembled ready for coming back to when the rest of the Mk3 coaches are finished for this rake for fitting some Kadee couplings and flexible gangway detailing etcs, the underframe weathering will then be looked at as it's just what was on the secondhand base donor models so wheels etc need cleaning up, then finally it'll be released for traffic!

51073697991_ca89b06b17_k.jpgGreat Western HST Power Cars by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

51073699916_d2c0bdea0d_k.jpgGreat Western HST Power Cars by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Hope this helps!

James

• Like 4

On 13/04/2021 at 09:19, James Makin said:

Hi!

Just remembered about this thread, I've finished off my GWT power cars the other week, and put some pics in my Workbench thread - 

They were quite fun to spray but took a lot of care and finishing in getting sharp paint edges to the livery but well worth it, hoping Hornby may do this RTR someday!

51073704711_bb46a4e400_k.jpgGreat Western HST Power Cars by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

I did also take some snaps before the weathering went on, here's one of the waterslide decal stage in progress, but I wouldn't take note of the actual colours as they are much more yellow in my workbench light than in natural daylight etcs!

51073806702_22fdc13c33_k.jpgGreat Western HST Power Cars by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Then once varnished over and weathered, reassembled ready for coming back to when the rest of the Mk3 coaches are finished for this rake for fitting some Kadee couplings and flexible gangway detailing etcs, the underframe weathering will then be looked at as it's just what was on the secondhand base donor models so wheels etc need cleaning up, then finally it'll be released for traffic!

51073697991_ca89b06b17_k.jpgGreat Western HST Power Cars by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

51073699916_d2c0bdea0d_k.jpgGreat Western HST Power Cars by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Hope this helps!

James

Thanks; your paint work looks great but the green on those Fox transfers does indeed look a bit off in some of the pictures. My power car is now in plain BR blue with odd bits of stubborn black paint on the roof and blueish green contamination in the grills and groves. Not sure how fussy I should be removing those before I break open my spray can of grey primer - and then I need to find someone who can mix spray cans for the Pheonix paints (I have the three tinlets - not sure how to match the shade of grey on the Lima coach rooves though).

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Rhydgaled said:

Thanks; your paint work looks great but the green on those Fox transfers does indeed look a bit off in some of the pictures. My power car is now in plain BR blue with odd bits of stubborn black paint on the roof and blueish green contamination in the grills and groves. Not sure how fussy I should be removing those before I break open my spray can of grey primer - and then I need to find someone who can mix spray cans for the Pheonix paints (I have the three tinlets - not sure how to match the shade of grey on the Lima coach rooves though).

I think the ideal solution would be to have Merlin decals with white ink on clear backing using the green from the paint job to shine through, the Fox decals are old and date from when the livery was new but the only commercially available option on the market unless someone like Railtec comes up with something!

For the paint preparation, I’d remove as much as you can of actual lumps of visible paint but the rooves are far from precise so you can likely get away with the odd tiny bit of paint stuck in a crevice! My process is to dust over with Halfords grey primer to highlight any imperfections before proceeding, rubbing down and reworking until happy, this should also get rid of the colour contamination you mention in the grilles and give an even coating ready for the actual paints over the top!

For the paint itself, rather than getting someone to mix spray cans it’s an ideal job for a cheap airbrush (or a pricey one, depending if going two feet in!) and spraying over.

In terms of fussiness, it’s down to personal preference but ironically over my years of doing these makeovers I get less and less fussy! :lol: 

I’d say my results get tidier and slicker through tactical cheating, corner-cutting, disguising and bodging when it comes to weathering and finishing!
It might sound sacrilege but I handpaint most of my stock roofs, blending shades of dark greys and just using Humbrol enamels, brush marks just disappear and the final layer of matt varnish over the top covers a multitude of sins! 

Best of luck! :good_mini:

Cheers,

James