Liverpool and Manchester Railway locomotive, Samson.

wookey

When this is finished, I don't think that any discrepancies will be obvious. Keep it up!

I am modelling the 1840s in EM so you are way earlier than me.

I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

Concerning outside cranks, the old 'Lion' kit from Keyser had outside cranks and they were

a brass etch which was glued on to the end of the axle.

Michael dJS

Hi

That is a wonderful engine it certainly is starting to look the part. How are you going to power it?

Alan Gibson brake shoes for the 03 diesel shunter include an outside crank for a 2mm axle. They are made of plastic so it may be possible to shape it for a more realistic look. Of course needing 4 will mean you need 2 packs.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

regards

David

Hey everyone

Thanks for the comments, and the suggestions regarding outside cranks.

The (rough) plan was to put the motor and drive in the tender, i still have a lot of thinking to do in that department, the wheelbase of the tender is a tiny 4 feet! so it will be a tricky one to squeeze a mechanism in there. if anyone has any suggestions i am happy to hear them! Assuming motor bogies are not available in such a small size, i can only think of maybe using two gear boxes end to end with a drive to a motor alongside or above, maybe via belt, or a conventional one axle gearbox/motor with auxiliary drive to second axle, again maybe via a belt? A shame really, wherever i put it, the drive will be fairly visible, either beneath the tender chassis or inside/in front of the firebox of the loco.

Anyway, once i have made some progress regards the cranks/rods i will post an update. :) i can puzzle over motorisation later on!

thanks again,

Dan

Here's one idea a motorized bogie from Bec's trams, there small compact with 9 mm wheels and  an 18 mm wheel base (4 ft 6 in in real size)  so might fit in the tender or a period wagon that's coupled to the loco and I cant see you having to pull a lot so it should have enough power for what you want. I have several trams with these usually running in pairs cross wired but they run just as well on there own and some of the trams are white metal so are quite heavy as well but it would defiantly benefit from extra pick ups though as there such a short wheel base so perhaps you could put pick ups on the loco's wheels as well

Click on the link in latest news and then follow the link to bogies

http://www.bec-kits.co.uk/

Wookey

I wonder if the solution that I have used for the Sharpie tank engine would help.

I have tried posting a link but the system seems to be having a hissy fit this morning so I can only suggest a search for

A small problem........now in the paintshop

which is under the motors and drive systems topic.

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Eric  

• Like 1

What a nice little project! You've made a very tidy start.

Cranks can be made from suitable brass strip (1mm thick?). Mark out the strip, then drill the axle holes, then the crankpin holes using a little jig (see first photo here), then cut out each individual crank. A pillar drill makes life easy, but with care a pin vice would do the job. For 2mm I'd use a 1.9mm drill and open the axle holes up with a 5 sided cutting broach, that way you can be sure of a good fit without worrying about the drill cutting oversize.

Here's some made for a Hunslet, and if you have a lathe life is even easier!

Hey chaps,

Quick picture to show state of play so far, all seems to be going reasonably well, but i shall be glad when it finally moves under power!

In the end i went for Gibson outside cranks, bushed and reshaped, and Nigel Lawton drive components, very handy site that, i am sure i will be using it again!

Fingers crossed she will run!

post-9760-0-74601700-1386549112.jpg

• Like 12

You do find yourself asking questions with this 1830s superpower. Now, are the frames staying the boiler and smokebox, or does the boiler and smokebox stay the frames?

Lovely though it is, one problem does put me off such early models: the problem of the crew. They are totally on view, so have to be part of the model, not hidden away in a fully enclosed cab. What did they wear? I know the contemporary illustrations showing the bold engineer in frock coat and topper, with beautiful cravat; but that's spin, early publicity material. The heroes making the thing go day in day out, in the teeth of a westerly driven snow and hail storm, what did they wear? Not their best kit surely, and everything they could pile on under a greatcoat and muffler without restricting their movement overmuch is my guess.

• Like 1

That's a truly lovely little job! Years ago I scratched Tiger (Lion's 'luggage engine' stablemate) and found a lot of problems with the tiny size of the thing and the fact that it's all 'out there on display', but you have overcome them beautifully.

What did the crew wear? Moleskins and neckerchiefs, I'd guess, though the toppers were probably right, being a regular item for just about everyone (the bowler hadn't been invented yet) - even the Artful Dodger ran to a top hat!

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the continued positive comments, i did initially have to wonder what i was going to do about crew, but decided that could be a problem for me to consider later on! some good comments in that department though, i will bear them in mind nearer the time.

Just a quick update before i have to rest the project for a week or so, the motor and gear train is now assembled and will run on a battery or wires from the controller, i think i will try and arrange pick ups next and get a running model before i recommence detailing.

Cheers,

post-9760-0-57899300-1387034562.jpg

• Like 11

Given that the prototype had the boiler / firebox firmly assembly anchored to the frame at both ends (smokebox and firebox) I've often wondered if there was a problem with differential expansion on these and similar engines - Lion and many others were just the same.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience of this with Lion in its current guise?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Not a massive amount of progress i am afraid, life has been getting in the way again!

a couple of youtube links however, as i have managed to get it running under power so thats a good step in the right direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jPm5GQq_Ro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMByOSMzweU

thanks for looking.

Dan

• Like 4

this is a drawing our group have done it has 4'6" wheels so valve gear fits though axles.

we are looking into building a full size 12" to foot, Samson or Large Samson.

samsonlocomotive@gmail.com is our group email address. plus a facebook page.

we have a large selection of drawings and are gathering more.

attachicon.gifbev 0-4-0 drawing.JPG

Gab gear, I presume? It was standard at the time.