Metropolitan Railway goods Yard trackplans sought

London cambrian

Exactly what it says on the tin,

I'm looking for trackplans of the goods yard particularly at:

Finchley Road/Midland Railway interchange yard

Willesden Green goods yard

Harrow-on-the-Hill, post rebuilding

Trackplans ideally would be that towards the end of the independent Met/ under london transport and into LNER Days, basically in the 1930s is ideal.

This wont apply to Finchley Road, which i believe was largely closed by this point, so trackplan from any time during which the Met and Midland were interchanging goods!

Cheers for any help!

LC

Hi Mark

I have plenty of Met signalling plans and diagrams courtesy of the LTM Acton, TNA Kew and LMA of the locations listed. I shall have to see how much of the actual goods yards are on the plans- but am happy to share them i/c you if they are any help. The large scale OS Maps are also of use as they (Yards) are shown in full. London was covered by a larger scale than non urban places (1:1056 iirc). These can be accessed via http://www.old-maps.co.uk/ amongst other sites.

Hi Natalie

That sounds like a brilliant start. Anything you can offer would be most appreciated, especially signal box diagrams, thoug as you rightly say, i dont know how much of the goods yard they will contain.

I have been using Old-maps (its come on leaps and bounds since i first used it a few years back when i was last doing this sort of thing!), but sometime struggle to get the definition to work out what is happening, particularly at Harrow. Anything you or anyone else can provide will be greatly appreciated, it'd be nice to have some things a little more official too, and signal box diagrams may help when it comes to signalling the layouts too...

Drop me a PM if you have something.

Cheers

Mark

Not exactly track plans, but BRILL vol 19 no 3 (December 2009) has three photographs which show the Finchley Road sidings in the background.  There is no way to figure out the track layout from them, as the photographs are mainly trains on the St Pancras line, but they may be of help.

HI all

Further studying of Old maps means we are finally getting somewhere to a decent understanding of the layouts, so its a case of taking the time to record them properly, Any further diagrams, pictures especially and other information would all be much appreciated still!

Thanks all for advice and input so far!

Cheers

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.harsig.org/PDF/Met1933.pdf

Might be of interest, though goods yard detail is often omitted from signalling diagrams where hand-operated pointwork was used - only the tracks linking yard to the main would require protection and therefore interlocked signalling.

Interesting that the local and through lines swap over at Wembley. When was it changed so the local lines were inside the through lines?

Interesting that the local and through lines swap over at Wembley. When was it changed so the local lines were inside the through lines?

According to "Steam to Silver" by J Graeme Bruce, between 1925 and 1939 the Metropolitan local/slow service has the northern pair of tracks from Harrow to Wembley Park. From Wembley Park to Finchley Road the local service had the southern pair of tracks. There were changeover crossings for the local services both north and south of Wembley Park.

In 1938 the burrowing junction for the Stanmore branch came into use and it is not clear whether the rearrangement of the Met tracks so that the slow/local services used the centre pair of lines took place then or in 1939 when the Bakerloo branch from Baker Street to Finchley Road opened and used the centre pair of tracks. The changed entailed rebuilding West Hampstead, Kilburn, and Dollis Hill stations which is why they are in the Art Deco/Holden style.

Between 1939 and 1948, when Harrow station was rebuilt and the track layout there changed, the Metropolitan slow services still used the northern pair of tracks at Harrow and Northwick Park, crossing over the southbound fast line between Preston Road and Northwick Park to become the centre pair. This flat crossing remained in use until 8th March 1948 when the trackwork was relaid at Harrow to its more or less current arrangement allowing the slow/local Metropolitan services to use the centre Metropolitan tracks between Peston Road and Harrow. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi LC,

This is probably far too late to be of use to you but I have discovered this forum only today when I was searching for a track plan of the former Willesden Green goods yard.  I need a plan dating from around 1960 for the virtual Chiltern line I have been creating in Microsoft Train Simulator.  The only plan of this goods yard that I have found is a 1915 map contained in the Middleton Press publication "Baker Street to Uxbridge and Stanmore" by Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith 2006 ISBN 1 904474 90 X.  This shows the layout as it was before the reversing siding was moved to between the four up and down lines.  Not at lot of use to me but it might help you since I imagine that the layout of the yard itself didn't change that much over the years.

Cheers,

DocMartin

• 1 year later...

Exactly what it says on the tin,

I'm looking for trackplans of the goods yard particularly at:

Finchley Road/Midland Railway interchange yardii

Willesden Green goods yard

Harrow-on-the-Hill, post rebuilding

Trackplans ideally would be that towards the end of the independent Met/ under london transport and into LNER Days, basically in the 1930s is ideal.

This wont apply to Finchley Road, which i believe was largely closed by this point, so trackplan from any time during which the Met and Midland were interchanging goods!

Cheers for any help!

LC

Hello,

don't know if you are still Seeking info on the above...

now the National Library Of Scotland has finished loading all the large scale Scottish mappings it has started doing England and Wales too.

Cooverage is incomplete

there are two national series as per the screen shots at the end

25" to the mile 1841-1952 pre-grid, sheets roman-numbered within county

1:1250 & 1:2500 1950s/1960s, sheets numbered by grid square

theres also, out of your period

1:1096. London 1893-95

as per the examples Harrow is only avail on the 50 s/60s mapping at present.

whereas the other two are presently on the older mapping only

heire are direct urls to your first two locations on the older map series

maps.nls.uk/view/xxxyyyzzz

where xxxyyyzzz are

Willesden Green

103313240 London IV.3 incl Hampstead, Willesden, revised 1912

103313243 ditto rev 1935-6

Finchley Road

103313246 London IV.4 incl Hampstead, St Marylebone. revised 1913-15

103313249 ditto, rev 1935-7

having trouble with uploads, so will post this text and posr screenshots once i have shrunk them

regards,

Rodney Hills

Archived