Blue Circle Cement rail served depots in the 1970's and outbuildings

Ben04uk

Was there a cement depot at Kings Cross? Yes, it was on the "railway lands" next to the North London incline, between KX and STP.

Yes; there was a 'Tunnel Cement' one, supplied from Ketton, along with a sand depot, supplied from Fen Drayton. When the area was being remodelled for the works at St Pancras, the cement terminal moved to the down side of the St Pancras throat, roughly where the 'milk platform' had been; it is now dual-purpose, with both cement and aggregates being brought in there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm slowly working my way through the Working Time Table for the Bristol area for 5 May 1969 to 3 may 1970 (so right at the start of the era the OP asked about) and I have found the following trains: 

6F20 1200 MWFO  Westbury APCM to Magor
6B30 1200 TThO    Westbury APCM to Bristol (St Philips) train runs via Pyle Hill where the loco runs-round
6B30 1205 SO        Westbury APCM to Keynsham & Somerdale (at least that's the last timing shown, and there is no foot note)

6C48 1605 TThO    Magor to Westbury APCM

6C46 1800 MWFO  Bristol TM to Westbury APCM (BTM is first timing point shown, no foot notes shown)

I am obviously mis-understanding some of the layout of the working timetable, but I hope the above is of interest.

Edit: pressed 'post' too soon!

Edited by HillsideDepot

I'm slowly working my way through the Working Time Table for the Bristol area for 5 May 1969 to 3 may 1970 (so right at the start of the era the OP asked about) and I have found the following trains: 

6F20 1200 MWFO  Westbury APCM to Magor

6B30 1200 TThO    Westbury APCM to Bristol (St Philips) train runs via Pyle Hill where the loco runs-round

6B30 1205 SO        Westbury APCM to Keynsham & Somerdale (at least that's the last timing shown, and there is no foot note)

6C48 1605 TThO    Magor to Westbury APCM

6C46 1800 MWFO  Bristol TM to Westbury APCM (BTM is first timing point shown, no foot notes shown)

I am obviously mis-understanding some of the layout of the working timetable, but I hope the above is of interest.

Edit: pressed 'post' too soon!

'St Philips' was the original name for 'Midland Road Goods'; this would have been accessed by running up the old Midland line, past Barton Hill wagon repair depot (hence the run-round at Pylle Hill), then setting back from the approach to the bridge over the Temple Meads to Patchway line. The link between the former GWR goods depot at Lawrence Hill and the former Midland lines wasn't installed until 01.02.1970. I haven't a plan for the St Philips yard area between 1950 and 1972, so can't confirm if the APCM yard depot was there. However, the Private Siding Agreement for APCM at Avonside Wharf is dated 04.03.1971, suggesting the terminal had been elsewhere until then.

'Magor' might just be a reference to one of the yards at Severn Tunnel Junction, or there might have been a temporary terminal there in conjunction with a major project. What this might be, I'm uncertain, as Llanwern had been open about eight years previously, and the Severn Bridge/M4 since 1966

'Keynsham and Somerdale' sounds as though it might be another temporary terminal (unless Fry's had taken to doing Portland centres..); again I'm not sure what for.

Hi Ben

You may (or may not) find this site interesting   http://www.cementkilns.co.uk/plants.html

as it lists all sites related to the process of flame kilns, part of the process, and you can look at lists of all plants capable of cement production in the UK, some with photo's. Then just search flikr for photo's for rail connectivity.

Already mentioned above is Claydon in Suffolk, now long gone, a regular haunt for me and my trusty Raleigh racer,during the late 70's & early 80's watching the 08 shunters trip 16 ton wagons full of coal from Ipswich into the unloading plant, while cement wagons were being loaded. If I was lucky a 37 or 31 might even be called upon if the shunter was unavailable.

Paul

Hi Ben

You may (or may not) find this site interesting   http://www.cementkilns.co.uk/plants.html

as it lists all sites related to the process of flame kilns, part of the process, and you can look at lists of all plants capable of cement production in the UK, some with photo's. Then just search flikr for photo's for rail connectivity.

Already mentioned above is Claydon in Suffolk, now long gone, a regular haunt for me and my trusty Raleigh racer,during the late 70's & early 80's watching the 08 shunters trip 16 ton wagons full of coal from Ipswich into the unloading plant, while cement wagons were being loaded. If I was lucky a 37 or 31 might even be called upon if the shunter was unavailable.

Paul

Paul

Your comments above are of interest as I'm building a model of Colchester Station c1950s. Having looked at a large number of photographs taken at Colchester and the local area I've never found any which clearly show any cement wagons. Have you any recollection as to the traffic flows from the works?

Any help would be much appriciated.

Paul

• 5 years later...
On 11/12/2013 at 16:31, Rivercider said:

While looking through my old photos I realised I made another visit to Exeter Central, in 1985.

post-7081-0-51040600-1386779310.jpg

A mixture of vacuum fitted and air braked stock in the yard at Exeter Central,

also a ferryvan in the Premier Transport siding, 17/7/85

cheers

I worked at this Exeter depot from 1974-1981 as an HGV fitter. The brick building in front the cement silo was the compressors house using ITT vane compressors to blow cement from the 50 & 100 ton presflo that came from Westbury Works into top of the silo. Under the silo was a platform where the trucks would back-in and a light duty compressor and sock to load the Bedford KM 4x2 and Scammell Routeman 8x4 bulk cement trucks. The green roofed newer building in front the main buiding was the managers and and dispatched clerks offices and there was a truck wash area behind. The back of the yellow bulk lorry in the right of the photo was parked outside the in-house repair garage where i worked and opposite was the black diesel fuel tank to refuel the trucks under the trees alongside New North Road opposite Exeter Prison. Front of the main building doors (shown) were never used and stayed closed during my time there. Back of the main building opposite the silo was the main special products store ie:Santex and bagged cement etc. The building in the right foreground was Fiffes Bananas depot during my time. The large building behind the silo was the new BT Telephone Exchange still being built and the large building in the right background was National Express Bus Company which was at the entrance to the Queen Street station yard depot. Exeter depot also covered Barnstaple depot which was of smaller design. Bulk cement trucks from Plymouth, Barnstaple and Westbury depots would also use the Exeter depot on a daily basis.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 03/01/2014 at 10:01, PaulG said:

Paul

Your comments above are of interest as I'm building a model of Colchester Station c1950s. Having looked at a large number of photographs taken at Colchester and the local area I've never found any which clearly show any cement wagons. Have you any recollection as to the traffic flows from the works?

Any help would be much appriciated.

Paul

The first Presflo was built in 1954, IIRC, with series production starting about four or five years after. Thus, purpose-designed cement wagons wouldn't have been evident during the period you've been looking at ; cement might have been carried in L-type containers or, more likely, in sacks in closed vans.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Can anyone point me at a downloadable Blue Circle Cement logo I could print and use on a 4mm scale Silo?

Chris

Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but the Hollar labels range is on the Gauge O Guild website.

https://www.gaugeoguild.com/general/hollar.aspx

The 4mm versions are on the Scalefour Society website I believe.

7 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Can anyone point me at a downloadable Blue Circle Cement logo I could print and use on a 4mm scale Silo?

Chris

You can get some water slide transfers from e bayer trouty Helen 

they did the plain blue logos in different sizes.......got some awhile back and I’d recommend them

B

16 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Chris

Hi Chris,

Langley do them for the road tankers which might be an option? I think the one on my silo on Peafore Yard I cut out of picture and was based on an old photo from Barnstaple, I can check tonight if I still have the artwork on the home PC.

post-7400-0-75737300-1417210476.jpg.8288e3601186368dab3490a2a7490a59.jpg

post-7686-0-06690900-1455451977_thumb.jpg.c293ba802619ffda53ce5cbe5a4e3208.jpg

• Thanks 1