Hornby 2014 - predictions

rovex

I suspect the 'Claughton' add-up might be suspect.........Lol, the fella filled  half a page with them in one entry.  Seriously though,  even the most ardent LNWR follower would fall off his perch if any big LNW passenger engine was produced. I wonder how many Gresley Artics would sell? Are rakes popular or are they deemed expensive when having to but them in multiple?

post-6680-0-29814600-1387110340_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

a.) I don't know why and b.) I don't think there's any reason to (on the subject I have in mind) where I'm sure many will think "Now that's interesting".

The Paget? Fowler's Ghost? The Reid-Ramsey Turbine-Electric? That Hillman Imp-powered flat wagon?

• RMweb Premium

No-one's mentioned a DEMU probably because Kernow has released the Hampshire unit, but would be pleasantly surprised if they've quietly measured up a class 207 East Sussex DEMU for release, I'd certainly buy one in blue/grey livery.

Similarly Hornby might venture into pre-group rolling stock - maybe a LBSCR Balloon push-pull trailer, or Stroudley 4-wheel carriages to go with the Terriers ...

... or the 1921 57' Clayton Pullmans type J rebodied with underframes from ex-LNWR ambulance cars see http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=2218

I wonder how many Gresley Artics would sell? Are rakes popular or are they deemed expensive when having to but them in multiple?

attachicon.gifWEB Gresley Artic.jpg

Well, I would ask myself "How much would it cost me (time and money), to come up with it by another route?"

In the case of Hornby's previous attempted Gresley coaches, that did not come out in Hornby's favour. With their

Thompson non-gangwayed stock, it did. With a Quad-Art, I'd curse if they got it wrong again.

The Nim.

• RMweb Premium

How wildly inaccurate can these suggestions be?

Harton Electric Railway loco:

A fine idea, but No. 9 please :) To be accompanied by a super-detailed model of the Harton steel hopper which is just similar enough to the LNER 21t design to be released in spurious BR liveries for years to come and just different enough to be completely wrong.

COP Stock:

Very elegant trains. Several units were of course sent to the South Tyneside after the locals refused to ride on the EPBs they'd had foisted on them on the grounds that the latter were far too old-fashioned.

No need for bad feelings at all...

Hornby won't make a J12345 just because a couple of dozen of modellers on here want one.  What they will do is produce what they think will sell well to both serious modellers and uncle Jim buying one for little Johnnie for his birthday. And there may well be more of those than the serious modellers.

For a steam loco some of the more important criteria are

Did it run in the BR period, particularly the '60s

How long did they last

Can it be produced in more than one livery

Can other slightly different versions (different body details) easily be made

Can it be produced with alternative numbers and/or names

Is there a preserved one already or coming

Charisma  

I think the W1 fails most of the above tests.

And although the P2 passes all but the first two, and there's a potential 10 different versions, I suspect they'll wait to see how the original condition 2001 sells first.

The Turbomotive also fails most too, but maybe cheap to make because they already do the princess.

I can't guess at what loco is coming.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby won't make a J12345 just because a couple of dozen of modellers on here want one.  What they will do is produce what they think will sell well to both serious modellers and uncle Jim buying one for little Johnnie for his birthday. And there may well be more of those than the serious modellers.

For a steam loco some of the more important criteria are

Did it run in the BR period

How long did they last

Can it be produced in more than one livery

Can other slightly different versions (different body details) easily be made

Can it be produced with alternative numbers and/or names

Charisma

Just about ticks all those boxes... http://www.Hornby.com/shop/2013-range/steam-locomotives-and-packs/r3191-br-duke-of-gloucester-standard-class-8/

Andi

Ah !  But would YOU buy the stuff ?

That should be as relevant to you as it would be to me as whether you would buy it but I'm sure enough will. :) If it's done well enough it could be a bit of a game-changer.

Well here's my prediction of five that WON'T appear tomorrow, judging from my past attempts:

1. 3-car Swindon Cross-Country DMU - wide geographical usage and time frame.

2. 3-car Glasgow EMU "Blue Train" - also used in the NW in their latter days. Hornby missed out on the Blue Pullman, so why not the Blue Train?

3. HUO 24.5t coal hopper - one of the last unfitted wagon types in regular use

4. Peckett 0-4-0ST - surely a RTR version must appear soon

5. The "Fell" - well why not?

From a commercial view I am incredibly curious as to which "new" gauge they will announce  -  the only ones I can imagine are "G", "O", "OO9" or "TT"/3mm.

"TT"/3mm would be sensible for a major foreign player sweeping into the UK to "make a difference"  -  but not for Hornby.

"009"  -  my personal favourite, especially some of the Great Little Trains of Wales  -  but I think that Hornby would be sensible to wait to see how others do first.

"O"  -  yes, but a lot of the small "low lying fruit" has already been picked.

"G"  -  the only one that makes sense ( ???????????? )

. :) If it's done well enough it could be a bit of a game-changer.

Metrolink trams?  Walking passengers?  Wagon with on-board camera? Thomas rail crash PC games? Early railway themes with 'Puffing Billy', coaches and wagons? Flushing carraige bogs? Magnadhesion? 3-rail.......

• RMweb Gold

If it's done well enough it could be a bit of a game-changer.

They did live steam a few years ago with a big fanfare.It's fair to say it died a quick death with all that investment wasted.I hope Hornby have learnt from this.

That should be as relevant to you as it would be to me as whether you would buy it but I'm sure enough will. :) If it's done well enough it could be a bit of a game-changer.

Ah-ha!

A Helicopter Car with iPhone/radio-control helicopter!

The Nim.

Archived