Hornby 2014 - predictions

rovex

Hornby have Railmaster and the e-link DCC hardware.

I'm expecting Hornby to release a camera to fit into the  loco cab, or a camera-equipped locomotive, view as you drive, system.

A low cost sound system using baseboard mounted speakers, synchronised by Railmaster or similar  programme to undercut Bachmann

• RMweb Premium

My game-changer would be something on the lines how Kato does things in N but done in OO:

Ready-made double track sections which can be laid down and taken up at will with fixings for fencing and catenary

http://www.traintrax.co.uk/20112-double-plate-track-r31528245-p-348.html

followed up by a combination of the best of the features of the former Triang Minic Motorways and current Kato DioTown ranges - motorised road vehicles able to run in an urban environment on standardised street pieces which buildings and street furniture can be mounted upon

http://www.traintrax.co.uk/23414-intersection-road-plates-p-469.html for an example.

I'm going for an Adams Radial. Glorious BR lined black (admittedly with somewhat limited geographical scope for running...) or - to follow later- some suitably prehistoric liveries. Or is that just REALLY wishful thinking on my part?

A game changer eh that nobody has got close to?......this ought to be interesting then. 

Cue a few ideas in the remaining hours as to what we've all overlooked.........

I havent a clue..... so my ideas are a bit off the wall now. 

4mm scale barking dogs (dcc sound fitted)?

4mm scale squawking cockerels (dcc sound fitted)?

4mm scale dcc cars that only just make it across level crossings?

Monkey tennis   :)

Hornby won't make a J12345 just because a couple of dozen of modellers on here want one.  What they will do is produce what they think will sell well to both serious modellers and uncle Jim buying one for little Johnnie for his birthday. And there may well be more of those than the serious modellers.

For a steam loco some of the more important criteria are

Did it run in the BR period, particularly the '60s

How long did they last

Can it be produced in more than one livery

Can other slightly different versions (different body details) easily be made

Can it be produced with alternative numbers and/or names

Is there a preserved one already or coming

Charisma  

I think the W1 fails most of the above tests.

And although the P2 passes all but the first two, and there's a potential 10 different versions, I suspect they'll wait to see how the original condition 2001 sells first.

The Turbomotive also fails most too, but maybe cheap to make because they already do the princess.

I can't guess at what loco is coming.

I assume when you say there is potential for 10 different versions of the P2, you have included the two proposed new builds?

It is likely that the proposed new builds will see more than one livery.  So there could be more than 10 versions.

The W1 only fails on two of the above;

1. It was a one off, so no alternative names or numbers.

2. It isn't preserved.

If Hornby could tool up to do both the original and the rebuilt form using similar parts or a split body, then there is potential for 5 liveries, battleship grey, garter blue, wartime black, BR express blue and BR green.  May even be possible to do two versions of BR green with early and late crests.

The Turbomotive has potential for four versions, crimson lake (without smoke deflectors), crimson lake (with smoke deflectors), LMS black and BR black.

Right, I'm going to offer my final input, part calculated thinking, part wishlising.

Streamlined B17 (they already have the chassis, just need new body tooling), possibly with moulded detail a la P2

1928 All Steel Pullman Cars (its a big missing gap, and they've got the core pullman concept)

Possibly some streamlined corronation stock, or at very least a rebuilt beavertail obo.

Some sort of superdetailed retooled electric

reintroduction of CKD to cut down on labour costs...

In terms of Andy's 'interesting' suggestion, I'm stumped.

How about a layout 'sound module' that can be loaded with multiple pre-programed sounds, and takes its playing insructions from selected chips and mixes the sound according to locos/stock in use.

Beyond that I don't know, but cautiously look forward to tomorrow

G-BOAF

I am always excited by the Hornby announcement, but to be honest, usually disappointed too.

I am not too sure how geared up they are this year for anything new and truly inspiring, but i would like to see them make better use of some of the railroad range. For example, how about class 37 in plain green or blue, And in highland large logo style. And i think they would do a roaring trade in Mk1s in west highland or west coast mainline liveries. Class 101 dmu in plain blue too. They wont compete with the new Bachmann offering on quality, but could steal their share with realistic pricing. And revising the underframe of the 156 and making it available in a few liveries.

For me, Hornby dont offer a decent range of diesel liveries, concurrently, which is what Bachmann and Heljan do.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby R9001X "Margate Mop-up", an eco-friendly absorbent, designed especially for the model railway enthusiast, especially packaged in a re-sealable 10 kilogramme bag. Comes in 3 different colours, GW green, Br Green, & black.

Hornby R9002X & R9003X. The all new froth proof computer keyboard, and anti spittle computer screen. These all new products are fully compatible with Hornby R9001X, listed above.

Hornby R9004X Our new computer chair drip tray, designed to catch froth at a radius of 1.2 metres. Capacity of 5.5 litres, with a plimsole line to show when reaching maximum froth capacity.

R9005X Suds pump for Hornby R9004X

• RMweb Gold

Hornby have Railmaster and the e-link DCC hardware.

I'm expecting Hornby to release a camera to fit into the  loco cab, or a camera-equipped locomotive, view as you drive, system.

A low cost sound system using baseboard mounted speakers, synchronised by Railmaster or similar  programme to undercut Bachmann

Taking this a step further and tieing it up with technology that is already in use in quadcopters and the like...

A loco with cameras in each cab, on board wifi transmitting to your iPad etc. The loco picking up power from whatever power source is available, DCC or DC or any other digital protocol, with control from the iPad that the video is being transmitted to. Oh and add remote control couplings.

Andi

Guest Belgian

I'm going for an Adams Radial. Glorious BR lined black (admittedly with somewhat limited geographical scope for running...) or - to follow later- some suitably prehistoric liveries. Or is that just REALLY wishful thinking on my part?

Yes.

Wonder if the Brighton Belle in N could be the start of a similar approach for 00 gauge - maybe along the lines of "Premium" limited edition subjects where production runs are strictly on a pre-order basis, and only available directly from Hornby. This would need a clear specification to show that "design clever" ideas are ruled out - this could be a way for Hornby to make enough profit to make premium quality possible without lowering standards. It would certainly be a "game-changer" in terms of market channels.

David

Amazing- I model Germany in the 70's, and yet I find this thread so interesting, almost exciting.

I do hope that Hornby get things together.

By the way, all the negative comments about British outline models can be doubled, and still will not reach what the German's say about what is on offer over there.

Never satisfied - but that brings progress.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how many Gresley Artics would sell? Are rakes popular or are they deemed expensive when having to but them in multiple?

attachicon.gifWEB Gresley Artic.jpg

Even I would buy couple of these, and they're right out of my areas.

From a commercial view I am incredibly curious as to which "new" gauge they will announce  -  the only ones I can imagine are "G", "O", "OO9" or "TT"/3mm.

What about "T" scale?

GWR broad gauge track to trainset radii, A Gooch single and matching coaches, to be sold as a a trainset.

Pete

Well, if they do that they'll have to do mixed-gauge track as well. What about a mixed-gauge crossover?

• RMweb Gold

Another Southern first generation EMU considering the success of the 2BIL?  I'd just love one!

A Southern U or U1 or maybe a K?

Wainwright H class?

...and from left field...low window Maunsells in crimson and cream (S & D)....and even further..... the W1!

• RMweb Gold

Well, you've got less than 24 hours to go now until you find out how right or wrong any product predictions have been.

I've finally finished the information which will be released at 10.00 tomorrow and I can promise some surprising content in there which no-one's been even close too (as far as I've seen). RMweb will have the most comprehensive set of information possible in a form which will be easier to browse than Hornby's own pages (due to the way they have to group information) and more comprehensive in scope than any printed article can be.

:)

Blimey, are they moving that quickly with 'it' (the 'it' I mentioned to you at the Warley show) or am I not only aiming the wrong year yet again or at the wrong target as well :O ?)

Archived