Hornby 2014 - predictions

rovex

Well, you've got less than 24 hours to go now until you find out how right or wrong any product predictions have been.

I've finally finished the information which will be released at 10.00 tomorrow and I can promise some surprising content in there which no-one's been even close too (as far as I've seen). RMweb will have the most comprehensive set of information possible in a form which will be easier to browse than Hornby's own pages (due to the way they have to group information) and more comprehensive in scope than any printed article can be.

:)

Quite a boast. Will be interesting to see how you deliver this magnum opus to those who don't have a computer!

CHRIS LEIGH

Quite a boast. Will be interesting to see how you deliver this magnum opus to those who don't have a computer!

CHRIS LEIGH

They wouldn't have read this 'boast' as you call it (and I won't take a sideswipe back), they'll be happy to see what's in the mags. I put the effort in for RMweb readers and make sure they'll have some imagery to see for them to discuss that may not be around elsewhere.

That should be as relevant to you as it would be to me as whether you would buy it but I'm sure enough will. :) If it's done well enough it could be a bit of a game-changer.

The most likely game changer I can think of, bearing in mind it is Hornby,  is battery powered locos which are rechargeable and operate via radio or wifi control. Although I'd love it to be scale 4mm track and locos to run on it.... But I'm afraid too many are too far down the OO route for that! The other possibility I suppose, is re-introduction of 3mm scale.

I tend to be on the making/modifying things side of the hobby but I would wholeheartedly wish Hornby every success with whatever new ideas/products they are about to introduce - not just for everyone else who probably buy much more Hornby than me, but also for myself, as for every model Hornby make that I can use/convert it tends to give me a little more time on other projects.

I've got to admit that I do like these yearly announcements - it gives us all a little bit of relevant news on which to speculate.

Clem

That should be as relevant to you as it would be to me as whether you would buy it but I'm sure enough will. :) If it's done well enough it could be a bit of a game-changer.

Could it be a range of coarse O scale stuff, as per the new Basset Lowke & Ace Trains...? If they're chasing revenue then the limited but affluent tinplate market could be a winner. And it's been a while since they came up with a stand-alone gimmick. 

• RMweb Gold

CHRIS LEIGH

Andy has a list of RM Webbers who don't possess a computer, and he has faithfully promised to personally fly to their houses, like a latter-day Santa, to deliver the news....

Ian

Suspect its (not) DCW - a "new" control system ready fitted to locos which feature highly detailed 100% plastic wheels. The highly detailed wheels are to offset slight variances needed to the bodies to accommodate the new control system and the overall impression will as good as the highly well received Design Clever features of 2013. The new system brings a much missed hands on feature in to operations together with requiring good skill on the operator to judge how much power to be applied to get the train moving and when it should stop.  DCW - Direct ClockWork control, another great Design Clever feature.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby announce that they have reacquired Meccano from its Japanese owners, and will be discontinuing model railway production in order to concentrate on their core business. As they apparently discontinued model railway production about three years ago, it is not felt that anybody will mind too much.

Hello Mike70, I would suggest that a model of the rebuilt W1, is as different from the original W1, as the original Merchant Navy is from the rebuilt version.  So I would regard them as 2 different locos. Therefore each fails the test on at least 4 criteria with the original failing most, and there was still only one, so with the re-build the alternative numbers were for the same loco .  Did they/do they have Charisma ?, Ok I wasn't there, but surely not like a P2 !, and I don't think Hornby will do a 2nd one of those yet.  

The 10 P2s I was thinking of are

All 6 with the Bugatti nose

The original 2001

The original 2002

The original 2002 with the extra smoke deflectors

New build 2007

I ignored the 2nd new build as I wasn't sure how definite it is ??

I mainly wondered about the Turbomotive because being Princess based it might be relatively cheap for Hornby to make.  But would it sell ?, I think it would be a big big gamble.

PARDON?

DIDN'T QUITE HEAR YOU.................

Cheers,

Mick

LOL! :)

Just noticed my post has been edited... What was the point in that? I had the font in the wrong size, I may have set it as default by accident, I shall have a looook now

PS  Firm predictions for tomorrow -

- there will not be a 94XX,

- there will not be a 'King',

- there will not be a 'Saint'

Anyone who has spoken to Steam, in the last couple of days,about their next special may not agree with one of your predictions, though it could well in the 2015 list.

They are shut now so no point in ringing them.

Mike Wiltshire

Archived