NIR 80 Class DEMU

33lima

I last made models of the NIR 80 Class back in the early 1990s but about three months back I was persuaded to make another set for a member at irishrailwaymodeller.com, where I posted a thread describing contstruction. Before despatch I thought I'd take the opportunity to picture the new set alongside the others. It's nearest the camera and is another bash of RTR 00 gauge coaches, in this case Hornby Mk2as with an HST power bogie. Otherwise it's basically similar to the earlier units, apart from some refinements like buffer beam detail and wire hand- and grab rails.

post-15566-0-02640100-1385914328_thumb.jpg

post-15566-0-68249200-1385914334_thumb.jpg

post-15566-0-61803500-1385914341_thumb.jpg

post-15566-0-97856000-1385914347_thumb.jpg

post-15566-0-32162400-1385914354_thumb.jpg

post-15566-0-59487400-1385914360_thumb.jpg

post-15566-0-24150400-1385914367_thumb.jpg

post-15566-0-56710400-1385914374_thumb.jpg

Edited by 33lima
  • Like 6

Must be a late production version, as the label seems to show the early 'Ulster Translink Authority' livery.  Surprising nobody has revived the Model Irish Railways marque or at least bought out some and re-released at least some of their stuff; it's a niche market but these days you'd think there'd still be decent sales to be had of kits like this and many of their wagons.

I'm not sure what you mean by the early "Ulster Transport Authority" livery. The 80 class did not appear until well after the UTA was history.

From what I can see in 33lima's post was that he stated the label on the box said "Ulster TRANSLINK Authority".

Colin, I'm not here to cause a fight/conflict, I just thought I might pass on what I saw in Ivan's post.

33lima, you better watch out, you'll be asked to do sandite livery ones next ;)

Edited by Nelson Jackson

• RMweb Gold

From what I can see in 33lima's post was that he stated the label on the box said "Ulster TRANSLINK Authority".

I admit that I missed the word Translink as I had just glanced at the phrase which "looked like"   "Ulster Transport Authority" which actually existed.  There was no organisation called "Ulster Translink Authority".

Anyway, I agree that it looks like a Translink livery model.  From my own involvement with the MIR kits I can say that there was only one mark of the 80 class kit, but it was sold with different paints and transfers included to cover the different liveries that the prototype appeared in. The box illustrated in post #10 would indeed have been a later one including the Translink transfers and paint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translink_(Northern_Ireland)

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you mean by the early "Ulster Transport Authority" livery. The 80 class did not appear until well after the UTA was history.

I knew it, I should have put in a 'smiley' back there! That was just my ironic way of making the point that Translink is, in a sense, a re-incarnation of the much-maligned UTA (with Belfast Corporation Transport/Citybus thrown in), though having a much less unfavourable funding environment to cope with than its predecessor (which was crippled by inherited debts and spending limits and still managed to design and build innovative railcar trains).

PS nice vids there guys! I used to love the sound of MPD engines roaring in harsh disunity as a set climbed up Dhu Varren bank out of Portrush and hope someday to hear a decent recording. It's great you guys are now capturing while you can the throaty rattle that was the hallmark of the 'thumpers'. 

On the subject of videos, the latest set's new owner, TrainModel, is working with a friend on a video showing this and his other NIR stock, which should also be worth watching out for. This was all I could manage, if nothing else it shows the unit could cope with my terrible trackwork, which of course is designed to replicate badly-maintained UTA trackage :)

Edited by 33lima
  • Like 4