47606odin

Hi all

I have just acquired a Hornby Q1, and I would like to know who supplies the most accurate sounds to go with it, ie matched exhaust to wheel rotation etc.

I have seen a couple on YouTube, the you choose sound appears to be 4 cylinder as there is 8 beats per rotation, Keytes sounds good but their website appears down, so over to you lot :-)

I wouldn't bother with youchoo's and from the experience I've had with Keytes I'd leave them alone too. I'd go for Howes or SWD. Give them a ring to see if they have anything suitable. The could always do a custom for you with the right on very nearly right steam sounds. I've found with steam sound that very few I've dabbled with have matched wheel revolution straight out of the box and its not has to play with this if you have your decoders manual to hand. These can be downloaded from Loksound or the equivalent manufacturer.

Snap!  :sungum:

I have also just acquired a Q1 from a certain auction site and was planning on fitting sound to it as well.

Great minds think alike I guess.

Have also had a look on Youtube today and literally just got on here to post the question you just have, scary or what?

I would obviously be interested to see what info you come up with.

Are you BRMA by any chance? As my next port of call was to ask some members their advice. If I hear anything useful will let you know.

Regards G.

I am seriously looking at fitting sound into one of my Hornby Q1s - perhaps as a Christmas present to myself! So far, I have looked at some of the others mentioned already but Howes seems to be the only one specifically tailored to the Q1 and sold as such. Even so, it is one of their 'generic' range, which means Bryan has tried to match sounds as best as he can from known sounds and archive footage but it cannot be 100% accurate.

Jeff (also in Melbourne and the BRMA).

Hi all

I have just acquired a Hornby Q1, and I would like to know who supplies the most accurate sounds to go with it, ie matched exhaust to wheel rotation etc.

I have seen a couple on YouTube, the you choose sound appears to be 4 cylinder as there is 8 beats per rotation, Keytes sounds good but their website appears down, so over to you lot :-)

Chuff rate to wheel rotation is a matter of adjusting a couple of CV's and is done for low speed only as at the higher speeds it is difficult/impossible to tell.

This applies to the sound decoders mentioned by you including YouChoos. Most of the adjustment is best done on a rolling road.

There is no such thing as accuracy of chuff really. Whistles are far more important but again were generic to regions. My own Q1 which has had sound for years has an S15 whistle in it and has drawn much praise.

I adapted an ESU programme, one of the more basic ones and added a few bits plus the whistle. Howes do much the same I believe.

There's a ZIMO version available from Digitrains at £85. It's not got genuine Q1 chuffs but has Southern whistles and ancillaries, and is probably a better match than a 4F project. It does also have the light engine/ heavy train sounds selectable on the move, with which to vary the sound of the chuffs.

It's not listed on their site, so you will need to ask for it specially.

Like all sound decoders, the chuff rate may need to be adjusted to suit your particular loco. Just change th value in CV 267. The default value is 70, but something in the range 45-50 will be closer to 4 beats per revolution for typical mainline 00 models.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

The sound of a Q1 was very distinctive, I would not think a 4F would come close.

Roger

It has to be remembered that a Q1 has a multiple jet blastpipe, the 4f a single jet blastpipe. This gives the Q1 quite a 'muffled' sound, not as distinct or sharp as a 4f, or indeed any other loco with single blastpipe / single chimney.

Snap!  :sungum:

I have also just acquired a Q1 from a certain auction site and was planning on fitting sound to it as well.

Great minds think alike I guess.

Have also had a look on Youtube today and literally just got on here to post the question you just have, scary or what?

I would obviously be interested to see what info you come up with.

Are you BRMA by any chance? As my next port of call was to ask some members their advice. If I hear anything useful will let you know.

Regards G.

yes i am BRMA :-)

thanks guys (and for moving it to the correct location Mr Moderator, i did look around trying to work out where best to put it) it appears then there is no true Q1 sound yet and info regarding exhaust beat speed has been helpful. this means i will need a better controller to be able to programme CV values…..but that is a different forum. :-)

thanks guys (and for moving it to the correct location Mr Moderator, i did look around trying to work out where best to put it) it appears then there is no true Q1 sound yet and info regarding exhaust beat speed has been helpful. this means i will need a better controller to be able to programme CV values…..but that is a different forum. :-)

I'm sure that if you explained the situation, Digitrains would be prepared to pre-set chuff rate to, say, CV267 = 45 before dispatch. This would be close to what you need for sync, and you could fine-tune when Santa brings you a new controller! Ho Ho Ho.

Paul

Archived