Speke East Sidings - Minimum Space Modern N Gauge

Timmy84

• 3 weeks later...

Did you find all the correct lettered coaches for your FGW HST? I couldn't find a coach C so I have two D's :( 

I'm perhaps guilty of only showing finished stuff on this thread, particularly when it comes to stock so here's a fit bits currently on the workbench.

Firstly something that you wont see appearing on Speke East in the future! My previous layout represented the Great Western mainline in Devon and I recently got round to getting the last couple of coaches I needed to make my 2+8 HST set prototypically correct so that weathering could commence. The "next" layout will also be based in this area, watch out for it around 2025! 

I don't normally go too mad with passenger stock and this will be no exception. So far the plastic black underframes have been airbrushed with Railmatch weathered black (the most useful paint in the world) to make a base for the underframe weathering. Tonight, following some observations at Reading waiting for a train the other day, I picked out the springs in faded yellow and the orange boxes that appear on the bogies at one end. I was amazed to see all the detail I observed was there! The Dapol HST really is a good model.

attachicon.gifIMG_2134.JPG

I'm pleased with the effect which brings out otherwise overlooked detail and it was a simple job.

The MJAs have also been treated with trusty weathered black on the bogies, but also the underframe tanks and pipes which are green on the models when new. It was quite tough to get a decent shot but the overall appearance has been improved and these are now also ready for some underframe dirt whilst I decide what to do with the inside of the wagons and whether to load them.

attachicon.gifIMG_2139.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2140.JPG

Finally I am working on some older MBAs which form part of a scrap train. As such I am trying to present some of them in a pretty battered condition. The characteristic scarring on this wagon (caused in real life by the scraping of mechanical grabs removing scrap and stone) was created using the end of a pointed file before working in Tamiya weathering powders to tone them down.

attachicon.gifIMG_2144.JPG

This wagon is one of a batch that I very simply weathered some years ago and I have removed a lot of the basic coat of sleeper grime that was applied at the time. I will use this as a base for something more subtle. We spend hours trying to represent a build up of layers of grime over the years and in this case, that's exactly what there will be!

attachicon.gifIMG_2145.JPG

Tim.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

No C in mine either. I remember when Dapol released the mk3s they made a big song and dance of the fact they had different running numbers. They do, but they didn’t change the designations! I’ve got 3 different “Ds”, which are far more obvious than the minuscule numbers!

I did talk to Railtec about doing a full set of letters (and the missing ATP labels) as I’ve added yellow stripes to standard class coaches instead of the first class ones with an incorrectly wide stripe. Stupid they got the buffet right.

• 1 month later...
On 15/02/2019 at 20:02, Duncan. said:

Hi Timmy,

I think your weathering is improving (or is it just the lighting or photo?) Whatever, I like the dirty 67 and RES vehicles.

Cheers

Duncan

Thanks Duncan. It might be my photography that’s improving as those vehicles were weathered some time ago! Much like most of my stuff to be honest. I’d like to get more new stuff done but wouldn’t we all..!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi all,

I have also decided to rationalise the Fleet slightly (mainly passenger stuff) as a bigger layout than Speke East is some years away. You will find some of the locos featured on this thread (and some that haven't) available for bids on this popular auction site...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/egglad7/m.html?item=133136544559&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Worth a look!

034.JPG.e119b6ee21a6182a3bc9d5d987f8b9cb.JPG031.JPG.419dfb9669e4f99991ba5c05b47dcdbe.JPG040.JPG.7c534502b0d8fc42e82aeb90de01d436.JPG66701_'Whitemoor'_GBRf_(3).JPG.4f4e9279fc9cf2c12b9a082f272f578d.JPG

Tim.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Sorry for the complete lack of recent updates - I guess it's not been the time of year! There are a few bits on the workbench however that I am tinkering with.

Sadly I had two "deaths" in quick succession of Graham Farish 66s. Both just went dead in an instant and I couldn't recover them. I suspect the PCBs went. This did however give me an opportunity to try something I had not been previously brave enough to do, which is attempt some EWS 66 re-numbers as I now had two spare bodyshells.

The results are below. As you can see the classic t-cut method of removing the numbers is not, as I feared, straightforward on the corrugated sides and it means that these basically become resprays. I also had some issues with decalfix leaving a residue in some of the corrugations which means that 66178 is now dirtier than it would have otherwise been!

The two bodyshells at the bottom are for the next two and show how tricky it is to get all the numbers off - these two will become 66005 and 66216 with some new Railtec transfers that I am looking forward to trying out once I've resprayed the yellow stripes and two brand new chassis are on the way too.

IMG_2219.JPG.56f79f7c61a132e191f2aeaf74a374cd.JPG

IMG_2221.JPG.2bcf9decc0f0cd9286b7bd0ed408c235.JPG

1073680793_IMG_2225(2).JPG.656ef6ee0394e1ea6e4002dee902f15a.JPG

All the best.

Tim.

• Like 4

Also on the workbench was this much easier strip down of a 37/0, which I am hoping to transform into 37154 in Transrail.

IMG_2226.JPG.ae338e0c6cd54c3abb80455d662f0a83.JPG

Decals from Railtec for both this project and the 66s arrived today.

A frustrating point is that this bodyshell was produced by Farish with round buffers, which were present neither on the loco they depicted (37239) or pretty much any other in railfreight grey!

Tim.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tim,

37239 did receive round buffers at both ends as per the model, this has been done later after naming and repaint, pictured in 1993. Depends what year modelling I suppose.  Picture linked from Flickr.

37239 The Coal Merchant's Association of Scotland. 02-03-1993

There was also a number of Railfreight Distribution liveried 37's with round buffers, 37242 and 37272 among others.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 06/10/2019 at 17:40, Timmy84 said:

Another shot of the 66s.

Tim.

IMG_2224.JPG.9aff60319b7cf1fefbce987fd167dfab.JPG

Hi Tim,

They look very smart with that weathering. Had the same problem as you and its a pain, I did a Dapol and a Farish EWS 66, I was not happy with the results, transfers from Railtec were fine, just the paint underneath. When I get a moment, I will remove the numbers and blast over with some EWS gold then renumber again! 

Cheers

Simon

4 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Hi Tim,

They look very smart with that weathering. Had the same problem as you and its a pain, I did a Dapol and a Farish EWS 66, I was not happy with the results, transfers from Railtec were fine, just the paint underneath. When I get a moment, I will remove the numbers and blast over with some EWS gold then renumber again! 

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the photo of the 37 - I couldn't find one of it with round buffers so I suppose I will have to let them off! My transrail version is coming together quite nicely and far less stressful than the 66s!

I have found the Railtec "EWS" logos look too stretched for me but the numbers are excellent so at the moment I have Railtec numbers and Fox logos on my second pair - I'm not varnishing them until I am sure. There is a very slight colour variance but I might take a couple of pics to see if it is noticeable.

Tim.

5 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I see the 66s are as painful in N as OO to renumber !

good work all the same !

could Bachmann not replace the PCBs ?

Probably - but I sold the dead chassis' on ebay and will probably sell the DBS bodyshells as well so the cost of the ones in the long run will probably be about £30 each - and the new 6-pin chassis run very nicely.

Tim.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I've been quite busy with some modelling of late.

My Class 66s remain on hold but more on that when the time comes... In the meantime I have lightly weathered the underframes and done the nose end detailing. Here we see ex-works 66101 at Speke East Sidings.

IMG_2234.JPG.219ec87c23e9341238160685fd4cbb2f.JPG

A very smart livery this - I bought two to be donor chassis for EWS locos as previously mentioned but thought it was worth a reference shot. I have already listed one body shell for sale and will decide whether I want to keep the second at some point.

Also fresh off the workbench is 37154 in Transrail livery. The round buffers will be changed when I source appropriate replacements. 154 actually had rectangles which seems to be quite unusual!

IMG_2229.JPG.12376a6b1d05d9855ccca1ad57a8e400.JPG

Messing with these two locos has made me think about era. The first pic I have found of a DBS 66 is 2009 and the latest pic of 37154 I can find is 1999. A lot changed in only ten years!

My stock was built up for my old GW mainline layout and aimed at about 2007-08, mainly driven by passenger liveries (FGW dynamic lines, Arriva xcountry etc). At that time EWS/FL 66s had a monopoly on freight traffic in the west country and even my 60s are used with modellers licence. 60s worked a lot of clay traffic in the late 90s early 00s but were well out of favour in 2008 at a time when even 66s were being offloaded to France by EWS. 

Speke East is less rigid - the scenery and location is deliberately vague - and the 60s are happily explained by their prolonged use on Fiddlers Ferry coal traffic in the northwest. I would say it is aimed anywhere from when the first 66s landed to about 2003-04. I intend to do some 56s eventually which would be OK. 

I guess the main question is, does any of this matter?!...

Tim.

• Like 4

Hi Tim, 

Crakingmodeling as usual. The transrail 37 is a brilliant model. I've seen plenty of them when trawling though pictures of the mid to late 90s, you've captured it well. 

As for modeling exactly a time period, rule1 is the most important for me, it is supposed to be fun after all. I know for myself I've stuck loosely to a time period in an attempt to save my bank account. Otherwise my wishlist would bankrupt me. 

All the best

Dave

• Like 1