Speke East Sidings - Minimum Space Modern N Gauge

Timmy84

21 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Hi Tim, 

Crakingmodeling as usual. The transrail 37 is a brilliant model. I've seen plenty of them when trawling though pictures of the mid to late 90s, you've captured it well. 

As for modeling exactly a time period, rule1 is the most important for me, it is supposed to be fun after all. I know for myself I've stuck loosely to a time period in an attempt to save my bank account. Otherwise my wishlist would bankrupt me. 

All the best

Dave

I agree entirely - not only does picking an era save you money so does picking a location.

I quite like freight (shock horror) and quibbled whether there is enough on the GWML south of Bristol to keep me going. However if you modelled Severn Tunnel or Bristol Parkway you would have to spend thousands on intermodal/steel/coal/petroleum rakes to get it right. If you want to capture a real feel then limiting your scope is not a bad thing.

I could do with an N Gauge JIA covered clay wagon and maybe some better bucket stone wagons to run on mendip flows but apart from that I'm well catered for..!

Tim.

Sounds like you are being sensible with eras etc.

like a lot of modellers, I’ve literally brought and sold thousands of quids worth of models as I “ change my mind “.

Id settled on my beloved BR blue, and the early EWS years as the two periods I was interested in the real thing ( middle period was more about pubs, girls, partttyyyyy). Recently I’ve got an early 90s thing , because there were some great 47s around then.... 3 periods is one too many really .

• Funny 1

3 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

That looks superb. How have you managed to get them coupled so closely? 

I’ll come clean, in this case it’s just for the photo! Both have a detailed front end and no coupling - so they aren’t coupled at all just “buffered up”.

Tim.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Timmy84 said:

I’ll come clean, in this case it’s just for the photo! Both have a detailed front end and no coupling - so they aren’t coupled at all just “buffered up”.

Tim.

In my opinion there is no problem at all putting them in the best place possible for a photo. It looks absolutely superb and is a clever idea. 

I hoped maybe you'd found a more permanent trick :) . It's one of the things I notice most about models, the over size gap really stand out in some situations.  

All the best

Dave

2 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

In my opinion there is no problem at all putting them in the best place possible for a photo. It looks absolutely superb and is a clever idea. 

I hoped maybe you'd found a more permanent trick :) . It's one of the things I notice most about models, the over size gap really stand out in some situations.  

All the best

Dave

Anything with buffers is going to be an issue with the tight radius curves modellers need. I have managed to get my HST set to pretty much touch and run ok but that’s it. If you think about it in real life if the buffers touch they compress where as ours our rigid so they just derail the wagon.

it doesn’t excuse own goals though such as on the Dapol MJAs where they have a bigger gap between the fixed pair than between the end wagons!

Tim.

• Like 1

The Dapol dummy knuckles can get some pretty close coupling but indeed it all comes down to the tightness of curves. N gauge has come on so much but the couplings are still way behind! I’ve never had much luck with the Dapol magnetic ones.

• Like 1

37154 is still knocking around the local area and appears here with a local empty tank trip from Speke East Yard to Ellesmere Port.

IMG_2271.JPG.8cc3f35ab46903ed6f5fd4999142ebd4.JPG

With the tanks blocking the reception 60006 leads a Warrington to Newport enterprise working through the yard. Additional cargowaggons have been attached in Speke East Yard, however the front portion of the train is made up of China Clay empties ultimately bound for the west country. 66042 rests near the fuel point.

IMG_2266.JPG.b84c1cff1760d51f74c9fc4ae060f677.JPG

• Like 12

More Sunday action at Speke East. This week 66623 is seen bringing de-branded autoballaster wagons out of the yard to head to a worksite near Chester.

IMG_2256.JPG.9ddef2e8ba9bf831d7b532be2a19e61f.JPG

Shortly after 66054 "Charles Babbage" and 66005 "BP Gas Avonmouth" appear light engine from Arpley ready to kick off the Fiddlers Ferry coal circuits first thing on Monday.

IMG_2286.JPG.777ecf5981c28fe900bb5543e56c0e66.JPG

• Like 9

Brilliant life like photos as always Timmy. I'm always blown away by your modeling and enjoyed the last few 'sunday services'. The rolling stock looks brilliant, but the little details around the layout really add to the whole picture, I was just admiring little bits like the greenery next to the relay cabinets and the real looking fencing work behind the autobalasters. Every bit of the layouts filled with something impressive. 

How have you done your hard standing? It looks much much better than I have managed with plasticard. I got a bit fed up with mine (over a year ago now) and left it how it was and worked on a different part of the layout where I was making better progress, but I will be having another go at it before long and it looks like I could learn a thing or two from you. 

All the best

Dave

31 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Brilliant life like photos as always Timmy. I'm always blown away by your modeling and enjoyed the last few 'sunday services'. The rolling stock looks brilliant, but the little details around the layout really add to the whole picture, I was just admiring little bits like the greenery next to the relay cabinets and the real looking fencing work behind the autobalasters. Every bit of the layouts filled with something impressive. 

How have you done your hard standing? It looks much much better than I have managed with plasticard. I got a bit fed up with mine (over a year ago now) and left it how it was and worked on a different part of the layout where I was making better progress, but I will be having another go at it before long and it looks like I could learn a thing or two from you. 

All the best

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feedback and I am equally impressed with how well Maid's Morton is coming along! It's nice that there are some really good N Gauge layouts on here producing regular updates at the moment. I would love to have something like that to run my stock on.

Depots aren't easy and I am pretty happy with how this one has turned out, especially the feeling that it is part of something "bigger". I had 2 or 3 really poor attempts before this one and learned each time.

The hardstanding was a method of my own invention. I used layers of cork underlay to build up the height and get it as close to the rails as possible before filling the gaps with model filler and "skimming" the top surface as it you are plastering a wall. I had no idea what would happen but it has left a convincing texture! It even crumbles away at the edges. I then sprayed it with Railmatch acrylic "weathered tarmac" before adding the stencilled markings. If this doesn't make sense let me know and I will try and describe it better. As with everything on Speke it was small and manageable and part of me feels this is why this layout has gone OK. You can really focus on detail and get bits finished on a smaller project.

Tim.

23 hours ago, Timmy84 said:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feedback and I am equally impressed with how well Maid's Morton is coming along! It's nice that there are some really good N Gauge layouts on here producing regular updates at the moment. I would love to have something like that to run my stock on.

Depots aren't easy and I am pretty happy with how this one has turned out, especially the feeling that it is part of something "bigger". I had 2 or 3 really poor attempts before this one and learned each time.

The hardstanding was a method of my own invention. I used layers of cork underlay to build up the height and get it as close to the rails as possible before filling the gaps with model filler and "skimming" the top surface as it you are plastering a wall. I had no idea what would happen but it has left a convincing texture! It even crumbles away at the edges. I then sprayed it with Railmatch acrylic "weathered tarmac" before adding the stencilled markings. If this doesn't make sense let me know and I will try and describe it better. As with everything on Speke it was small and manageable and part of me feels this is why this layout has gone OK. You can really focus on detail and get bits finished on a smaller project.

Tim.

Hi Tim,

Your method of doing the hard standing sounds good. I've got some left over fine plaster of Paris stuff from when I did the street on the countryside section so I'll have a test of that off the layout. I must admit I'd not had the confidence to plaster anywhere near the rails, but if I do a bit off the layout with some old track it won't matter if I make a mess of it. 

Agree with you about the number of nice N gauge layouts at the moment. The quality of RTR models has improved so much and being able to fit a lot into a little space has always been an attraction for me. I am by no means am N gauge only kind of guy, but it does motivate me a lot to see what is possible from other people's brilliant modelling.

The idea of having the smaller area to focus on with Speke is a good point. I've decided to break mine down into three smaller sections to not get overwhelmed/distracted and I think it's helped me a lot and even though only one of the three is really moving forward at the moment the progress has motivated me as well. I found it impossible to do a bigger area all at once and to a high standard and was almost getting demotivated by think 'I'll never get this done'. 

Thanks again for the tip and all the best.

Dave

• Like 1

Hi all,

As I still haven't sorted my second pair of EWS 66 re-numbers this one is still running round in DB livery - it is quite smart! Hopefully the re-numbered ones will appear here soon along with my Revolution cargowaggons, which are finished but just need to be snapped.

Seen arriving at Speke East with loaded ballast trip while 60078 watches on.

IMG_2261.JPG.a68e909222b500386df015da4f33b37b.JPG

Tim.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

As promised a few weeks ago I have finally got round to taking a few pics of the latest projects I have ticked off my to-do list, starting with the Revolution Cargowaggon twinsets. I had to be brave to get going on these superb models and I have gone for a relatively uniform look across the three. I hope if the guys from Revolution see these they wont think I have wrecked them! 

Due to the 10mb upload I will keep posting pics over the weekend! As ever comments gratefully received.

IMG_2302.JPG.ba7ebf80c85d30e66c18f8a4f5a8312e.JPGIMG_2305.JPG.e147d878e5a18549916e8deac54e1127.JPGIMG_2309.JPG.bab96f916605e216eb1214c9ee5dc11c.JPG

Tim.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2