Speke East Sidings - Minimum Space Modern N Gauge

Timmy84

3 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Wow! I didn't realise how small the layout was! Amazing stuff

Jo

Yep it’s tiny. Just over 4 feet of scenic area. As I have mentioned in previous posts the “long trains” are staged as it’s really just a photo plank. Although it is still quite fun to operate due to the split level.

Tim.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Apologies for the complete lack of updates recently. I ended up moving house just before Christmas and there is a lot of work to do on the new place.

Speke East is still wrapped up in it's dust cover and the airbrush hasn't been out either. I do have some projects that need doing as I continue to evolve my stock collection to reflect the Merseyside scene in the early 2000s. I have some of the new Farish JMAs to work on as well as some HTAs I picked up on ebay and a Revolution 92 for Speke. In the meantime I have been making do with running sessions on my Kato unitrack to keep my locos in good nick and have been enjoying the intermodal rake featured last year.

Here's a shot of the HTAs (un-weathered) that I took before the move but forgot to post. Hopefully there will be the odd update in 2021 amidst all the DIY!

I've just enjoyed a quick look at every else's updates so that has given me some inspiration!

Tim.

PB213215.JPG.276020a9b9f9cc619883f247d380c7c8.JPG

• Like 11

Just caught up on the thread.  You really have captured everything in the small size you have available.  I'm not an N gauge modeller any more but I can appreciate the details you have on here, well done!

Simon

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone.

Happy new year. Goodness me where did 2021 go? As predicted most of last year was spent on DIY with a lot of work to do on the new house. However I got to the end of a stage in November and have been on DIY holiday for a few weeks so have actually got some modelling done.

Avid N Gaugers will note that my thunder has been stolen by two other beautifully weathered Class 92s posted in the last week or so. But here’s my effort. At least it’s a different one!

24FD0020-815C-4139-851A-AECD108AB66B.jpeg.f51308828d5a6058bbf8515f1646ea5a.jpeg

Hopefully adding some variety is renumbered and weathered 47289, “updated” from sectorisation livery to FL triple grey.

CC2964C0-7363-4B42-A697-2673344C6CAA.jpeg.e941590d982a53c723638953fbd6157d.jpeg

After much studying of pictures the FL grey 47s always seemed to look like a black-grey-black sandwich to me so I’ve tried to capture that with quite a subtle look. Damage to the red triangle logo is deliberate - check photos of the real thing if you don’t believe me!

BEEB8557-79D2-4653-BC27-978CE1AC41E2.jpeg.04389258f104986eec8b60b4abc2a72d.jpeg

All the best and inspired as ever by what’s going on elsewhere.

Tim.

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Nice weathering Tim, especially loving the added character the ripped Freightliner sticker on the 47 brings.

I've got some EWS 60s on the cards with similar damage to the large yellow 'beastie' stickers.

Jo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant weathering Tim, the 92 looks great and like Jo says all the little details from the real thing like the ripped freighliner branding add real character to the 47. Great to see you managed to get some time off the renovation for some modeling.

All the best,

Dave  

• Thanks 1

Also on the workbench over the last few weeks have been some Farish HTAs. I have done 9 in total but those posted here feature some of Steadfast Models excellent decals. I apologise to Jo that I have not used them all and in some cases gone off piste with what goes where. My rake is modelled relatively early in its career so the weathering is light and the larger graffiti pieces were not necessarily prototypical. For me, this was about getting a finish that looked “right” for the time period.

Wagons will form Liverpool Bulk Terminal to Ironbridge and Ratcliffe services. I intend to do about 17 and have already sniffed out another three that were lurking unsold at (the excellent) Alton Model Centre. If they’d had more I’d have bought them too! I went in for a tin of paint and accidentally spent £180 but I am sure this happens to the best of us…

A complimentary rake of ex-Nat Power JMAs will follow to form LBT to Fiddlers Ferry.

F4359837-8423-4ADD-8E2F-27449DE9DB6B.jpeg.26356aa50cfe31fac2cc8572831a4a5b.jpegFCC4507F-3E82-469F-9C88-71D209F87085.jpeg.f06a3084a8ace7c05cb7356819343fdc.jpeg5E34DE92-A963-4133-B882-DA928DE3782E.jpeg.b5a8e10e258a5a583d0d07d673231a3b.jpegEF8D53F9-6018-4CFC-A11D-763A67CFE813.jpeg.9f1755596faff68e0a0a61f098b15c35.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

Nice work on the HTAs Tim, glad to hear the decals went on well. It breaks up the block colour of a the rake nicely.

On mine I've used Bachmann USA knuckle couplings, they close the gap really nicely but they're rarer than hen's teeth at the moment. I have some Fox valley ones to try, but not had a go yet, but they look to do the same job.

I'm planning some bits for the National Power hoppers too, both graffiti and some weathering effects, don't know if that's of interest to you.

Jo

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Nice work on the HTAs Tim, glad to hear the decals went on well. It breaks up the block colour of a the rake nicely.

On mine I've used Bachmann USA knuckle couplings, they close the gap really nicely but they're rarer than hen's teeth at the moment. I have some Fox valley ones to try, but not had a go yet, but they look to do the same job.

I'm planning some bits for the National Power hoppers too, both graffiti and some weathering effects, don't know if that's of interest to you.

Jo

please do keep me posted! Although again the pics I’ve seen of the Liverpool JMA rakes in the 2000s don’t have too much graffiti but they are pretty faded. I’ve got a mixture of the pre weathered and pristine ones so going to try a few things.

• Like 1

This is the sort of thing in intending to look into, the patched strips, presumably from welding, which loads of them seem to sport, along with various styles of blanked NP logos.

https://flic.kr/p/aazJ9G

Still all in my head at the moment, but with a set of HKAs to do myself in a mix of National Power and DB red it's something I will look at.

Jo

9 hours ago, Steadfast said:

This is the sort of thing in intending to look into, the patched strips, presumably from welding, which loads of them seem to sport, along with various styles of blanked NP logos.

https://flic.kr/p/aazJ9G

Still all in my head at the moment, but with a set of HKAs to do myself in a mix of National Power and DB red it's something I will look at.

Jo

yep the three stripes are distinctive so I intend to find a method for that.

I’ve also bought some decals so I can reintroduce some elements of the logos/branding to the weathered wagon as there seems to be 101 combinations of patching.

Based on how I get on I will decide weather to buy more pristine or weathered wagons to finish the rake. The weathered ones are very good but of course all look very similar so it depends on how well I manage to fade the very blue pristine ones down.

this is all why I did the HTAs first as they were an easier job!

Hopefully I’ll have time to start them soon.

Here’s another of your decals I missed off the previous post.

A1D7AC83-91AC-4236-A16C-6D2892DBD64A.jpeg.db73436c70d5c247b77cea5843f65040.jpeg

Tim.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Timmy84 said:

I’ve also bought some decals so I can reintroduce some elements of the logos/branding to the weathered wagon as there seems to be 101 combinations of patching.

Definitely! The trial wagon that I've sent decals to the printers for as part of a sheet filler has different patching both sides, and the patch painted vertical stripes are different shades on both sides too! No two are alike it seems.

I do like a cat, there's one in the Falcon pack too. They seem to be disappearing on the real railway though.

I see there's one or two bubbles on the faceless cat, if it bothers you, you can carefully with a brand new scalpel blade prick it then drop some PVA or Johnson's Klear in the hole and once it goes tacky press it down. You want something that's not very reactive, more volatile stuff like Tamiya varnish will stick it down, but will also soften the decal. Failing that, the whole decal can be lifted if you're careful and stuck back down with Klear or PVA.

Cheers!

Jo

• Informative/Useful 1