Speke East Sidings - Minimum Space Modern N Gauge

Timmy84

• 1 month later...

So I have been plodding on with the scenery. 

All the ballasting is now complete and I have done a bit of weathering on the track as well to try and tone things down. I have also fitted an Ancorton models fence kit along the front edge of the layout to mark the depot boundary and have started to do some of the foliage. Steadily everything is becoming a little less grey!

Here are a few quick snaps from the iPhone...

post-17939-0-81934100-1508792642_thumb.jpg

post-17939-0-27032900-1508792571_thumb.jpg

post-17939-0-18155600-1508792597_thumb.jpg

post-17939-0-72107700-1508792621_thumb.jpg

Tim.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

A few more pics from last nights Freightliner takeover starting with "on hire" 66417 resting on the fuel point...

post-17939-0-11859800-1510157757_thumb.jpg

66522 passes through the depot on the way to the yard...

post-17939-0-57207600-1510157829_thumb.jpg

Two more 66's arrive on the reception line before dropping down on to the fuel point...

post-17939-0-91130000-1510157861_thumb.jpg

post-17939-0-90558400-1510158084_thumb.jpg

Bardon Aggregates branded 66623 arrives with cement empties bound for the yard...

post-17939-0-34412500-1510158148_thumb.jpg

Once the cement has cleared 66417 emerges with a container train.

post-17939-0-01564000-1510158280_thumb.jpg

I must admit that operating the layout has slowed progress down so I must get on with it! I need a decent bit of time to come up to airbrush the various parts I have been assembling for the bridges at either end which I think will really start to bring things together.

Tim.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

It's a busy time of year and as such progress has been quite slow lately.

I have been working on the two scenic breaks which has involved quite a bit of construction and painting.

This was the rough plan...

post-17939-0-81552100-1513533052_thumb.jpg

And this is where I am up to...

post-17939-0-39649000-1513533081_thumb.jpg

post-17939-0-47167700-1513533102_thumb.jpg

There is still quite a bit of work to do in terms of weathering and detailing and the scenic breaks will have a big impact on the overall look of the layout. I think I am happy enough with where I have got to though.

A pre Christmas arrival is this Graham Farish Class 08. I have never needed a shunt engine on previous layouts but I thought this was a really smart model. I am also a big fan of the old Intercity livery and this seemed like a good excuse to have it on the layout as 08s have a track record of turning up in strange liveries in strange places! Tiny decoder kindly fitted by Digitrains.

post-17939-0-93741600-1513533216_thumb.jpg

Tim.

• Like 6

Spent some time this evening wiring up the yard lights.

Apologies for the terrible pic from the iPhone but they are working!

post-17939-0-69840800-1513626373_thumb.jpg

Also if anyone knows how to stop this upload tool from rotating portrait pictures I would appreciate the tip!

Tim.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Happy new year to anyone still following this tiny epic mission!

Some progress made today in terms of building up the scenic "box" around the layout. I have now painted the backscenes a shade called "mizzle" which I thought most appropriate for North West England. I also added some white primer lightly misted to add a bit of texture. I have fixed the main back board in place and the two end boards holding the scenic breaks.

The layout is now, after many years starting to take shape, so much so I may need to start thinking up a slightly catchier name for it!

Pics to follow soon.

Tim.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Happy new year to anyone still following this tiny epic mission!

Some progress made today in terms of building up the scenic "box" around the layout. I have now painted the backscenes a shade called "mizzle" which I thought most appropriate for North West England. I also added some white primer lightly misted to add a bit of texture. I have fixed the main back board in place and the two end boards holding the scenic breaks.

The layout is now, after many years starting to take shape, so much so I may need to start thinking up a slightly catchier name for it!

Pics to follow soon.

Tim.

And happy new year to you too

Phil

A quick snap of my dining room table this morning (fortunately the other half is at work!)...

post-17939-0-75313700-1515756532_thumb.jpg

Work has continued on the frame for the layout. The backscene and scenic breaks are in place and this morning I used a bit of ronseal wood filler in the corners to make it look a little neater. I am now just waiting to do a second coat of the "mizzle" over the filler to finish it off. I have also now painted the front edge in matt black acrylic, a time honoured technique for drawing the eye in to the layout. Once all this is done I will start work on the scenery that will be built up against the backscene. This will include a tower block, low relief industrial building and some scrub/trees. It is very slowly stating to come together but I cannot believe how long you can spend on such a small layout!

A little bit of thought has gone in to the name of the layout as well. It has always been in my mind that the "official" location of the layout would be northwest England, justifying the catenary and freight traffic. However Arpley or Crewe it is not so I want to steer away from the WCML. As such Liverpool is my preferred location. All my long distance journeys growing up started at Lime Street and there are lots of interesting locations on the run out towards Runcorn. A little refresher on google maps led me towards a possible location at the east end of Halewood reception sidings. This would fit with my vision of a small loco servicing point with lots of traffic generating industries and yards just off scene. This would justify both EWS and Freightliner traffic in the area. I had all my fingers crossed the Farish might replicate their OO guage STVA car carriers in N this year but it looks like I will be disappointed (not that any new N gauge stuff ever appears anyway!).

So movements will include:

• EWS Class 60s coming off the Fiddlers Ferry MGR circuit to refuel (I have 9 so this was a must!).
  • Containers and cargowaggons emerging from Halewood, Ditton and Garston. Associated Class 37s, 66s, 67s (often used on cargovans) and 86s milling around.
  • Some out berthing of engineering wagons (mainly because I have a lot of these too!).
  • Passing petrochemicals, construction and steel traffic.
  • Maybe even the odd loco used for passenger service popping in for fuel (this only became part of the plan with the announcement of the Farish VT Class 47...)
  • The 08 coming and going.

In terms of a name, this is a fictitious location so none of those mentioned above are suitable. I also don't want the letters "TMD" anywhere to be seen. At the moment I am on Speke East Yard or Speke East Sidings. I think this places it as Liverpool but is suitably vague to make it clear it is a made up location. If anyone has any suggestions feel free! I will be mulling it over before committing and changing the topic title.

Tim.

• Like 5

Some progress has been made with the scenery and scenic breaks. The foreground area is now complete in terms of foliage which now runs all the way up to the bridge structures so this all blends in a little better now. Fencing has also been extended around the fuel tank as can be seen on the photos posted earlier. The foliage beyond the reception line is temporary at present whilst I think about starting work on the buildings that will form the backdrop.

I think I have now settled on Speke East Sidings as a name for the layout but I can't work out how to change the topic title! Oh well.

More pics to follow including a few in the twilight...

Tim.

• Like 1

Nice progress coming on Tim. I do like the careful use of a few commercially available buildings, they blend in well with the bits you've done yourself. How have you lit the loco shed, LEDs glue to the roof?

I think I have now settled on Speke East Sidings as a name for the layout but I can't work out how to change the topic title! Oh well.

Head back to the first page, first post and click edit. Then it'll let you amend the title!

Jo

Nice progress coming on Tim. I do like the careful use of a few commercially available buildings, they blend in well with the bits you've done yourself. How have you lit the loco shed, LEDs glue to the roof?

Head back to the first page, first post and click edit. Then it'll let you amend the title!

Jo

Thanks for the tip!

Part of the plan with this layout was to re-use as much as I could from previous attempts. I had some street lights that I didn't need that are just the right height to go inside the shed. The poles run up the walls neatly and actually hold it in position! As such no fiddling with LEDs.... I am quite pleased with the result and the poles are not visible from any viewing angle.

Tim.