N gauge J94 steam locomotive

DJM Dave

Hi everyone,

Please find attached here the first revised cad/cam pictures of the J94 in N gauge.

There will, to keep them all separate, 3 postings today featuring V1, V2 and V3 in that order.

As you will notice there's a bit of a mix of details that should / shouldn't be on certain models, which will be rectified but does show the 'modular' design going into the model.

Also worth noting is the firebox is vertical not slanted slightly, the gear box is visible in front of the firebox (which I am getting redesigned to go further back towards / in the firebox), and also that the Decoder board is very visible within the cab, and again I'm trying to get this lowered to floor level if clearances allow.

Latters will be etched steel.

Comments and criticisms requested please.

Cheers

Dave

J94 V1 pictures

post-1144-0-83490100-1386159416_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-89433000-1386159449_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-73720100-1386159468_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-87595500-1386159484_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-50254400-1386159499_thumb.jpg

Hi Andy

Yes there will be at least 3 bunker shapes, along with alternate cab windows etc.

Still a way to go, but at this stage I'm not sure I can alter fireboxes on the N gauge one due to space and weight constraints, but I will try.

cheers

Dave

Still a way to go, but at this stage I'm not sure I can alter fireboxes on the N gauge one due to space and weight constraints, but I will try.

cheers

Dave

That's fine Dave, more just pointing out an interesting fact regarding the number and position of holes.

I think I might just have to N gauge!

• RMweb Premium

Is that a PLUX-8 decoder shown fitted or a standard NEM 651?

Would the decoder look less obtrusive if it were located vertical against the firebox? (Assuming that was physically possible). Alternatively is this a loco where a hard wired decoder may be a better option allowing a small decoder to be fitted in the bunker with the wires running on the cab floor to the gubbins in the boiler?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Is there any scope to:

- cut away the footplate under the boiler to give some idea of the inside cylinders etc (I know there probably isn't space to actually represent that, due to the gearing etc) - the fact the footplate does not stretch under the boiler is reasonably visible e.g. :http://locoyard.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/1995-tenterden-24-rolvenden.jpg

- thin down the coupling rods at all? I understand these need to be robust for handling, but if they could be thinned a bit it would be the biggest visual improvement in the finesse of the model at a glance.

Looks very nice....

Cheers,

Alan

Very, very nice.  Plenty of detail on a loco many dismiss as too utilitarian and plain.

Is there a way of thinning the cab roof rainstrip at all, it looks a little heavy?  Also the flowerpot on V3 looks a little tall.

On regulator rods, V2 and V3 have each have the ones that belong to the other- the curve was to clear the air holes you've correctly got in the firebox sides on V3- other versions have no holes and a straight rod.

Looking forward to getting some to play with....

Les

Hi Les,

Thanks for the kind comments, and I agree about the rain strips.

I've just redesigned the chassis / body mechanism and submitted the designs for cad/cam implementation. It's quite innovative but increases the available space for weight, and cleans up the cab interior too.

If anyone has the plans for the Westinghouse pump lying around I'd love to be able to add that to the tooling. I quite fancy doing the Longmoor ones :-))

Cheers

Dave

Is there any scope to:

- cut away the footplate under the boiler to give some idea of the inside cylinders etc (I know there probably isn't space to actually represent that, due to the gearing etc) - the fact the footplate does not stretch under the boiler is reasonably visible e.g. :http://locoyard.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/1995-tenterden-24-rolvenden.jpg

- thin down the coupling rods at all? I understand these need to be robust for handling, but if they could be thinned a bit it would be the biggest visual improvement in the finesse of the model at a glance.

Looks very nice....

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the comments.

I'm looking at having a rectangular recess (if possible) in the running board under the boiler for the insertion of a white metal piece that represents the cylinder rods there, and also adds a small amount of extra weight.

I'll also look at the con rods too, as I agree they would make a bit improvement.

Cheers,

Dave

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

Here are the latest 4 versions (of the 7) of the J94.

The decoder board is now at an angle in the cab making it less obtrusive and there have been some changes such as chassis webbing and a tightening up of details.

Due to the weight and balance issue of making sure all 6 wheels sit with equal weight on the track, its looking harder to remove the visible gearbox from under the boiler but I'm still looking at 'possibilities' in this department.

Things to do? Well the reversing rods aren't correct yet, cab roof detail is missing, and that pesky gearbox.

I hope these can be completed this week so I can start metal cutting next week.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-14239600-1394445604_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-16075500-1394445623_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-39970800-1394445664_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-31629500-1394445679_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the CAD its difficult to see another way of dealing with the gearbox without making major changes to the design. My first thought was move the gears to the rear axle and then counter the offset weight with a flywheel. That really would be a first for a mass produced N Gauge Steam engine! However I guess that would make squeezing in space for the circuit board and DCC gubbins difficult. My second thought was to spin the whole thing around have the gears running down through the smoke box to the front axle, but that doesn't look like it would fit with the front part of the chassis design and I suspect would introduce at least one more gear in the to equation, which wouldn't be ideal. 

If the current design could be slimed down a fraction further so more boiler cladding extends down it may not seem as intrusive, although I wonder given the size of the thing and the angle most will be viewed from whether it will be that noticeable anyway. Either way it's light years ahead of the only other J94 previously available in N! It's just a shame mine will end up looking like this

Tom. 

Hi Markus,

I have factory slots for tooling and production ready and waiting for me to say 'do it' to them.

However I'd like to tidy up a couple of areas on the model first.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

This is looking really good.

In post 17 you mention that you're hoping to cut metal next week. The CAD is for the N gauge version. Are you planning to drop the OO and N gauge at the same time?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

This is looking really good.

In post 17 you mention that you're hoping to cut metal next week. The CAD is for the N gauge version. Are you planning to drop the OO and N gauge at the same time?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

In a perfect world yes, but............;-)

Cheers

Dave

Hi everyone,

Here are the latest 4 versions (of the 7) of the J94.

The decoder board is now at an angle in the cab making it less obtrusive and there have been some changes such as chassis webbing and a tightening up of details.

Due to the weight and balance issue of making sure all 6 wheels sit with equal weight on the track, its looking harder to remove the visible gearbox from under the boiler but I'm still looking at 'possibilities' in this department.

Things to do? Well the reversing rods aren't correct yet, cab roof detail is missing, and that pesky gearbox.

I hope these can be completed this week so I can start metal cutting next week.

cheers

Dave

That looks excellent Dave.

Regarding the gearbox, I think there has to be a limit to what is viable if you want room for the chip in the cab area, it's easy to forget just how small this loco is. The Farish Ivatt has a small section of chassis visible under the boiler where the gearbox is and nobody has complained about that!

If it really is a priority to lose the gearbox, assuming a similar size coreless motor to Farish is used would it be possible to reverse the motor as they have with the jinty, having it in the tank area pointing "backwards" and the gearbox concealed within the firebox?

Regards

Roy

That looks excellent Dave.

Regarding the gearbox, I think there has to be a limit to what is viable if you want room for the chip in the cab area, it's easy to forget just how small this loco is. The Farish Ivatt has a small section of chassis visible under the boiler where the gearbox is and nobody has complained about that!

If it really is a priority to lose the gearbox, assuming a similar size coreless motor to Farish is used would it be possible to reverse the motor as they have with the jinty, having it in the tank area pointing "backwards" and the gearbox concealed within the firebox?

Regards

Roy

Hi Roy,

Believe it or not, it is backwards.

It's got to be that way to affect a decent balance on the 6 driving wheels.

Cheers

Dave

Archived