Converting the Turbostar 170.(3-car) into an Electrostar.375/3 in 4.mm

Hi Andrew, David

Will be great to see another 375 3-car conversion completed as at the moment I believe I have the only 3-car Southeastern Class 375 in OO Gauge. The only regret I had with mine was not doing the windows correctly so will be fascinated to see how it looks on a southeastern set.

Can I ask what livery are you planning? And are you planning cab lights and interior lighting?

Regards,

Matt.

• Like 1

Don't give him any ideas Matt. I'm just going to build it first; lighting can be done later...by someone else? The Bachmann Turbostar is pretty old and doesn't have DCC sockets/PCB's so the unit would need 3 decoders for lighting or jumper cables beween vehicles.

The livery is Southeastern white with yellow doors/blue numbers.

I'm going to get some help with the transfers ....print out own sort of thing.

More soon.

Cheers Matt. I had a look at your thread; nice work and you got the lights to work!. Did you use the Bachmann unit or custom? Looks like there's no room in that big plastic nose.

Also what did you use for couplings as the bogies on mine are now much closer together meaning a massive gap between vehicles?

I'm waiting for some help with home made transfers now. Have you got any yet? If I'm succesful I will send you some but home made definately need a varnish coat.

Here's where I am:

I've knocked up some Dellner couplings for the fronts

post-910-0-56922100-1451762912.jpg

This is 375304. I've seen photo's of the unit with the square radio gear on both ends/ one end and no ends. So both ends!

post-910-0-77532000-1451762996.jpg

The underfloor equipment is scratch built from styrene sheet and bits and bobs from the Turbostar moudlings.

The whole lot was fathomed out from David's photo's and that Youtube clip!.......totally precision accurate ahem.

post-910-0-34524000-1451762952.jpg

I've used a 'Sharpie' for the black door oulines and these do need tidying up

post-910-0-53813900-1451763068.jpg

• Like 5

I decided on a tasteful livery......That other one that you build can be the blue one......and you will build one; I'll make sure of that!

Oh  :O  :no: ,

I still have, the Turbostar 170, that I started to cut up,( at the beginning of this thread),

also another, intact in its boxes,

I hear, its easier, the second one, that is,

after the first one,    head scratching. :beee:

Cheers Matt. I had a look at your thread; nice work and you got the lights to work!. Did you use the Bachmann unit or custom? Looks like there's no room in that big plastic nose.

Also what did you use for couplings as the bogies on mine are now much closer together meaning a massive gap between vehicles?

I'm waiting for some help with home made transfers now. Have you got any yet? If I'm succesful I will send you some but home made definately need a varnish coat.

Here's where I am:

Great work!

Ed

The lights were a challenge but used leds with perspex tubing if i remember to let the light out. There is some considerable light bleed however due to the colour of the livery.

On the topic of livery, looking very nice and clean, liked the idea of using sharpie for the lines as i painted mine on - very time consuming.

The Bachmann couplings got tranferred out for some Kadee Couplings which looks alot better.

Now for the transfers and i think i used craft computer paper and found a font as near to that on the side of the train and printed the lettering numbering off at 'the right size' - very scientific.

Looking forward to seeing how the windows look on this with the southeastern livery (i forgot about that part and had already chopped up the windows!) and people inside maybe?

Thanks Matt. I got a friend to do the transfers; similar thing printed off with the computer on an inkjet printer.

So big progress but still a way to go. I moved the nem pockets back into the bogies and tried Roco 40270 close couplers and get a standard gap now; I'd prefer a closer coupling and will maybe go with Kaydees. This unit will have to navigate the inner loop of the Dover Priory layout which is quite tight and we'll mess with couplings when it gets on the layout.

A big thanks to Maritn Levin for the transfers and lighting that will be the next instalment.

post-910-0-86582300-1452368814.jpg

post-910-0-08136700-1452368843.jpg

post-910-0-13157700-1452368873.jpg

post-910-0-94728900-1452368898.jpg

post-910-0-57015200-1452368918.jpgpost-910-0-05259800-1452368960.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks Matt. I got a friend to do the transfers; similar thing printed off with the computer on an inkjet printer.

So big progress but still a way to go. I moved the nem pockets back into the bogies and tried Roco 40270 close couplers and get a standard gap now; I'd prefer a closer coupling and will maybe go with Kaydees. This unit will have to navigate the inner loop of the Dover Priory layout which is quite tight and we'll mess with couplings when it gets on the layout.

A big thanks to Maritn Levin for the transfers and lighting that will be the next instalment.

attachicon.gifP1020282.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020285.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020286.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020288.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020289.JPGattachicon.gifP1020291.JPG

Cracking work - looks spot on. I'd love to see a line-up of this with James's FCC and Southern 377s!

Ed

attachicon.gifP1020282.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020285.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020286.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020288.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020289.JPGattachicon.gifP1020291.JPG

See, told you,you are very good at what you like doing best,

but you seemed to have aged 10. Years,

In that Selfie you sent me,

Any pointers as to why ?

Wow, that Electrostar is looking superb - the underframe detail in particular is very nice indeed. Was that all scratchbuilt? I have some of James's cabs ready and waiting for the conversion to a 4 car unit for Sevenoaks, but haven't quite had the courage to take the plunge with it yet! You're doing a fantastic job with that, look forward to seeing it completed! :)

didn't even notice the capital S, when I first drafted up the transfers it was a low case.

either MS word automatially changed it to a capital, as it was good for doing that!! or I had to use about 4 diffrent font types as some of the letters were diffrent and mixed up the fonts to get it as close to the real lettering font, but with this a number of the letters sizes needed to be increased/decreased to get them all the same size, so it might be lowercase but wrong size.